News Article: Charles Wang Dead at 74

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
Been reading some very negative and racist things about Charles Wang today — and regardless of how someone may have viewed his hockey related decisions, that crap is uncalled for and says more about the purveyors of that kind of crap then it does about Charles Wang.

I was not a fan of a great many things — but I never thought he was malicious. Misguided perhaps — but I never questioned his love of the Islanders!

One thing he should get credit for — keep the New York Islanders as the New York Islanders. While Barclays is not a great fit, it has served as a placeholder until what is now going to be a Belmont arena solution. Without it, we would be rooting for the Kansas City or Quebec or Seattle Islanders....

May he find rest and be at peace — sympathies for his family and friends.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
RIP, I believe he did keep the team in NY which I will always admire but his failure to hire competent NHL professionals to run the team after years of losing can't be swept under the rug either.

Last edited:

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
74 is young, I thought for many years he would see 95 or so. He could of tried to be a good owner and run his team profesionaly, but he taught everyone a lot of lessons in life on loyalty, the importance of making friends with people at work to get promoted.

Drivefor5

Jul 31, 2010
NJ
I think the Islanders website is really slow updating important news. I would have thought there would be some condolences on the website about Mr. Wang. They were also slow with the Johny Pajamas Info.

This team still has a long way to go to be considered Classy.

:huh:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Been reading some very negative and racist things about Charles Wang today — and regardless of how someone may have viewed his hockey related decisions, that crap is uncalled for and says more about the purveyors of that kind of crap then it does about Charles Wang.

I was not a fan of a great many things — but I never thought he was malicious. Misguided perhaps — but I never questioned his love of the Islanders!

One thing he should get credit for — keep the New York Islanders as the New York Islanders. While Barclays is not a great fit, it has served as a placeholder until what is now going to be a Belmont arena solution. Without it, we would be rooting for the Kansas City or Quebec or Seattle Islanders....

May he find rest and be at peace — sympathies for his family and friends.

That’s pretty sad to hear. Even thoughts wasn’t the best owner because he was loyal to a fault, he was a decent man and philanthropist.

My cousin was head of tickets sales and during the first lock out Wang paid my cousins mortgage.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Wang was too loyal to guys that he liked, like Milbury and Snow (Yashin, DP, etc.). But loyalty is a good thing - just didn't work out in these cases where it would have been better for fans if he was more ruthless.

Wang misplayed the Lighthouse at least in part because he thought it was a great thing for LI and that should have been that. He didn't properly take into account the small-mindedness of local politicians. He needed to act like he was bowing before the smoke and fire of the Wizard of Oz when he dealt with them.

Those are two negatives that I'm sure critics are pointing to today, but they don't reflect badly on him as a person.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
His kid is probably in his early 20's and super rich...it's ok. They own Neulion and lots of other assets.

He still owns 10% of the team, right? I guess now his son takes over?

I never understand comments like this. His father died, who cares how much money he has? It's like those people dismissing depression in professional athletes because "they have a ton of money they'll be fine."

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
The Islanders press release on his passing go into the list of his philanthropic efforts, really loved Long Island, his heritage and community.

Reactions: SI90

gbislander

Sep 21, 2015
I think the Islanders website is really slow updating important news. I would have thought there would be some condolences on the website about Mr. Wang. They were also slow with the Johny Pajamas Info.

This team still has a long way to go to be considered Classy.

:huh:

What the heck are you talking about?

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
He kept the team on the island and seemed to have cared a lot about the community. Rest in peace, Charles.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
RIP to Wang - I believe he did have good intentions but just lacked on execution being a businessman trying to navigate the Hockey World. He was certainly an out of the box thinker, whether viable or not , the Lighthouse project and the Sumo Wrestlers playing goalie were convictions that not just anyone is capable of standing by.

Without his purchase of the team, they probably would be elsewhere by now. He kept the Isles above water .... it's not bringing us to the promised land but he did keep the franchise from drowning

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
My sympathies go out to his family.

His tenure as Islanders owner speaks for itself and it's not good.
Save for the fact I am guessing the Islanders are playing in another state or country if it was not for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad