ChaoticOrange @ AlongTheBoards (Don't you forget about me (Hall) up NOW!)

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Part 3 to close it off should be up Tuesday/Wednesday. I unfortunately don't like my own findings very much :laugh:

I'm going to choose to live with my delusions that everyone will take a discount and everyone will perform to the best of our hopes. Oh and I'll win the lottery too.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm going to choose to live with my delusions that everyone will take a discount and everyone will perform to the best of our hopes. Oh and I'll win the lottery too.

Hahah yeah unfortunately the only way we afford everyone IMO is if a couple of guys totally bust.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Part 3 should hopefully be up today or tomorrow.

I've got a planned article for Yakupov and one for Hall, but are there other topics for which you'd like to see articles written?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Something on Schultz I think would be cool. He's not been great but I think he's been excessively hated upon. Maybe break down some comparables on other teams?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Something on Schultz I think would be cool. He's not been great but I think he's been excessively hated upon. Maybe break down some comparables on other teams?

I think Schultz would be fine as No.3 d-man with a decent defensive d-man like Oduya in Chicago or Regehr in LA--playing not much more than 20 mins a night, with a lot of PP time. He's a limited player but he can move the puck, is a reasonably good skater and has potentially to improve his offense on the PP.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Sure, a Schultz article could be fun. My hunch is he's nowhere near as poor as he's made out to be on here.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
a two team expansion on its way could drop those cap projections a bit. these sky high signings this summer by other teams could look very foolish shortly.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm not sure I'm going to like your Blog Chaotic.

I love the writing style and the thought put into the articles, but....

Rye and Ginger and a dog named Bowser? :shakehead (j/k)

:D

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
a two team expansion on its way could drop those cap projections a bit. these sky high signings this summer by other teams could look very foolish shortly.

Good point. The cap could very well stay where it is or even drop a bit, but for the purposes of the article I needed a projection number that made sense.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Hahah hey I'm a beer guy too, but more than one or two in the summer when it's hot out makes me feel gross. The dog's a corgi/rotti/lab cross, Bowser suits him completely.

Sorry for the delay, I thought part 3 would be up by now. There's a ton of stuff going up on a daily basis, though, so I get it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I have an issue with your articles...

They're not long enough!! Otherwise well done!

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Thank you - I have a feeling the feedback will be more mixed for part 2 :laugh:

Busy summer planning my Daughters wedding . I just got around to reading part 2 . We may not agree on trades and posting at times , but i thought you done an awesome job with your comparison . Again great job . I look forward to reading more .

I may even look back on these if we disagree on a thread LOL , because i can not find fault with anything you have said . Good luck in the future

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW

I still have to read the articles but I'm giggling over sha na na lol! As an old fart I remember these guys and would never ever think of seeing them in a hockey forum! Well done Dorian! (Or should I say mcDorian ). :)

So here's to Draisaitl, Klef AND Yak1 being studs!! Cheers

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I have an issue with your articles...

They're not long enough!! Otherwise well done!

Busy summer planning my Daughters wedding . I just got around to reading part 2 . We may not agree on trades and posting at times , but i thought you done an awesome job with your comparison . Again great job . I look forward to reading more .

I may even look back on these if we disagree on a thread LOL , because i can not find fault with anything you have said . Good luck in the future

Thanks gents! You may want to have a word with my editor then - always wanting me to trim it down :P I get his point though - that's the holdup on the two I have in the pipeline, 1500 words is a bit much for the average reader.

If it helps you can look at 1-3 as one long article!

Supert - I can sometimes be a little blunt and acidic on here - not so much on here, but definitely on the tradeboards. One of the reasons I wanted to start doing this is I felt it would give me a way to explain myself better. I just don't have time to put an hour of research into explaining why the guy on the mainboards comparing Klefbom to Clitsome is an idiot :laugh:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Supert - I can sometimes be a little blunt and acidic on here - not so much on here, but definitely on the tradeboards. One of the reasons I wanted to start doing this is I felt it would give me a way to explain myself better. I just don't have time to put an hour of research into explaining why the guy on the mainboards comparing Klefbom to Clitsome is an idiot :laugh:

Yeah I hear you there. We're not allowed to call him an idiot and to formulate any well written response will require at least a little research and time. I had that issue in the BOH section during the lockout - where things are even stricter in terms of being able to mock someone's umm... ill thought out opinion.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah I hear you there. We're not allowed to call him an idiot and to formulate any well written response will require at least a little research and time. I had that issue in the BOH section during the lockout - where things are even stricter in terms of being able to mock someone's umm... ill thought out opinion.

The great challenge of HFBoards - how to provide the data to call someone an idiot without calling them an idiot.

Only to have said idiot ignore the data completely :laugh:

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Great read and a good barometer going forward. You did some excellent research there and I really appreciate it! I knew somewhere out there we were going to be in trouble but you took the time to put the science to it.
Well done looking forward to more!

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Great read and a good barometer going forward. You did some excellent research there and I really appreciate it! I knew somewhere out there we were going to be in trouble but you took the time to put the science to it.
Well done looking forward to more!

'Science' may be a little bit strong :laugh: but thanks for the kind words and for the read!

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I dont really agree with it but nicely done on the breakdowns..

I dont see Draisaitl making 5M+ coming off of ELC.. A bridge like Yak is more realistic or a long term deal around 4M til the end of his RFA years is more likely. Drai simply wont have the numbers to command a huge contract playing behind so many other great players.

A bridge will also allow Oilers to get past Pouliot's contract and free up space.

50M on forwards, 25M on D and 5 on G should be the target. Based on that Oilers should be able to fit all the preciouses within the cap.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I dont really agree with it but nicely done on the breakdowns..

I dont see Draisaitl making 5M+ coming off of ELC.. A bridge like Yak is more realistic or a long term deal around 4M til the end of his RFA years is more likely. Drai simply wont have the numbers to command a huge contract playing behind so many other great players.

A bridge will also allow Oilers to get past Pouliot's contract and free up space.

50M on forwards, 25M on D and 5 on G should be the target. Based on that Oilers should be able to fit all the preciouses within the cap.

Even if we trim Draisaitl down to, say, 3 million, and Yak is around 4, that still puts us at about 41 million used on 7 players at forward, leaving the bottom sixers earning an average of 1.3 million. I'm not sure that's feasible.

I think 5 million is on the low end in goal as well.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
Even if we trim Draisaitl down to, say, 3 million, and Yak is around 4, that still puts us at about 41 million used on 7 players at forward, leaving the bottom sixers earning an average of 1.3 million. I'm not sure that's feasible.

I think 5 million is on the low end in goal as well.

It took me reading all of this to finally believe that Jordan Eberle would be the best player to move if we run into cap issues. I always wanted this team to retire that guy... but I don't really feel bad, he lives in Calgary... this might sound like the dumbest thing anyone on here has seen in a while but... I'd rather keep the majority of our key pieces than see McDavid make 12/season in a cap governed NHL. Even Sydney Crosby can't carry Pittsburgh, and thats with Gino playing against secondary matchups...!!! The guy that could legitimately retire an Oiler? Benoit Pouliot... he even actually has a place of residence in the great city of Edmonchuk. It actually boggles my mind that he signed for what he did, HERE???

For me, it all revolves around who we sign when we hit expansion. because for me, its the only thing that is going to curb these huge contracts thrown around these days. Nuge, Hall, and Eberle at 6 is starting to look like a massive bargain. Enough of a bargain the 30-32 teams would be VERY interested. But that expansion + dispersal draft is a game changer. we really aren't ready for anything special for another year anyway... What if we sold high on Eberle/Hall now, brought in a Seth Jones? Not because i'm high on Seth Jones, but because he'll be due for a contract when its a buyers market and the cap roof drops. We had Chris Pronger at 6/season the last time something like this happened... all i'm saying, is that we aren't winning the cup next season. why not prepare for when the proverbial crap hits the fan.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It took me reading all of this to finally believe that Jordan Eberle would be the best player to move if we run into cap issues. I always wanted this team to retire that guy... but I don't really feel bad, he lives in Calgary... this might sound like the dumbest thing anyone on here has seen in a while but... I'd rather keep the majority of our key pieces than see McDavid make 12/season in a cap governed NHL. Even Sydney Crosby can't carry Pittsburgh, and thats with Gino playing against secondary matchups...!!! The guy that could legitimately retire an Oiler? Benoit Pouliot... he even actually has a place of residence in the great city of Edmonchuk. It actually boggles my mind that he signed for what he did, HERE???

For me, it all revolves around who we sign when we hit expansion. because for me, its the only thing that is going to curb these huge contracts thrown around these days. Nuge, Hall, and Eberle at 6 is starting to look like a massive bargain. Enough of a bargain the 30-32 teams would be VERY interested. But that expansion + dispersal draft is a game changer. we really aren't ready for anything special for another year anyway... What if we sold high on Eberle/Hall now, brought in a Seth Jones? Not because i'm high on Seth Jones, but because he'll be due for a contract when its a buyers market and the cap roof drops. We had Chris Pronger at 6/season the last time something like this happened... all i'm saying, is that we aren't winning the cup next season. why not prepare for when the proverbial crap hits the fan.

Wait for my next article before you sign up Hall for a ticket out of town :P

Expansion could definitely change a lot of things.

Chiarelli is going to need to to be very careful with whom me moves and what he moves them for...

Bangers

May 31, 2006

I wouldn't have moved RNH for Jones this off-season (unless the team could have acquired Backes in another move) and it's unlikely that Draisaitl for Jones is happening before the season starts, but if Draisaitl steps up this year and McDavid comes as advertised, either one might be a good trade next offseason.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
You've made me realize one thing for sure - we shouldn't take for granted the unique opportunity we have this year and probably next year. We get to watch the following players on the same team at the same time: McDavid, Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Yakupov, Draisaitl.

It's obviously not going to last forever. We should cherish it while we can.

Solid articles, CO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad