Changes to the draft lottery...

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The First time that happens will be the last time that happens, imo.
Depends who it happens to. I don't think anybody around the league would care if it happens to the Oilers after we had three consecutive #1 picks but if it happens to either a troubled southern US market or say a team like the Leafs with a large media base and there could be hell to pay.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Depends who it happens to. I don't think anybody around the league would care if it happens to the Oilers after we had three consecutive #1 picks but if it happens to either a troubled southern US market or say a team like the Leafs with a large media base and there could be hell to pay.

No it doesn't because it would make the league look somewhere far beyond stupid and bushleague.

If you had a team suffer through a year where they ended up as the worst team in the entire league, then had a draft lottery that pushed them all the way down to #4 overall in 3 successive lottery picks, the optics of that would be SO bad, they would change the lottery system the next morning. Wow that would be just be stupid.

(Also, it will happen and we'll all hang our heads in shame at the league, even if it happens to Calgary, though we'll laugh a little at them)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
No it doesn't because it would make the league look somewhere far beyond stupid and bushleague.

If you had a team suffer through a year where they ended up as the worst team in the entire league, then had a draft lottery that pushed them all the way down to #4 overall in 3 successive lottery picks, the optics of that would be SO bad, they would change the lottery system the next morning. Wow that would be just be stupid.

(Also, it will happen and we'll all hang our heads in shame at the league, even if it happens to Calgary, though we'll laugh a little at them)

Since when has the NHL ever worried about looking bush league? I mean they just changed the system even though it's entirely possible the situation you described could easily happen. Presumably, they thought about possible outcomes and weren't concerned.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Since when has the NHL ever worried about looking bush league? I mean they just changed the system even though it's entirely possible the situation you described could easily happen. Presumably, they thought about possible outcomes and weren't concerned.

It matters more now, because they've made such strides (and increased revenue) in the US. If the NHL just becomes "late night fodder" again it will hurt the bottom line for this league.

I don't think the NHL ever thinks about "possible outcomes" I think, honestly, they look at the "positives", put the worst case scenario as "statistically unlikely" and then act surprised when it happens.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
It matters more now, because they've made such strides (and increased revenue) in the US. If the NHL just becomes "late night fodder" again it will hurt the bottom line for this league.

I don't think the NHL ever thinks about "possible outcomes" I think, honestly, they look at the "positives", put the worst case scenario as "statistically unlikely" and then act surprised when it happens.

You honestly think the NHL is just throwing **** at the wall and hoping it sticks? You make it sound like the guys running the league are two guys hanging out in their moms basement picking ideas out of their ass.

And where are you getting this idea that NHL will pull the plug on this once a teams drops from #1 to #4? Show me an example of the league rolling out an idea and then retracting it right away?

lol you are so out of touch it's not even funny.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You honestly think the NHL is just throwing **** at the wall and hoping it sticks? You make it sound like the guys running the league are two guys hanging out in their moms basement picking ideas out of their ass.
No, not sure where you got that idea. Allow to explain more "simply" for you.

I think the NHL does "consider" the possible outcomes, but the group making the "decisions" are able to convince themselves that "the positives far out weigh the negatives" and "the worst case scenario is 'statistically unlikely' so they don't have to actually worry about it happening". Then as seems to always happen, the worst case scenario does happen and the League looks surprised and dumb.
And where are you getting this idea that NHL will pull the plug on this once a teams drops from #1 to #4? Show me an example of the league rolling out an idea and then retracting it right away?
I'm not sure why you're confused about this, but I see because it would look SO BAD on the league they would almost have no choice but to change things up. The league has fought SO hard to increase it's revenue and standing in the US, to have something like the worst team in the entire league being dropped from 1 to 4 overall, damage all that positive inroads they've made and take the league back to comedy fodder (it means being the butt of jokes) for the US media.

lol you are so out of touch it's not even funny. Keep the "HF Board Poster" stereo-type alive bud
Not really, it's just my perspective on how bad this "could" and likely will go for the League. But either way, clearly the offseason has been a bit too long, as it seems to making people extra insufferable.

Eirhead*

I'm not sure why you're confused about this, but I see because it would look SO BAD on the league they would almost have no choice but to change things up. The league has fought SO hard to increase it's revenue and standing in the US, to have something like the worst team in the entire league being dropped from 1 to 4 overall, damage all that positive inroads they've made and take the league back to comedy fodder (it means being the butt of jokes) for the US media.

Naw man, I like the idea. Every year you see teams pulling the plug. Giving up. Race for the lottery. Clearly Montreal was throwing games in 11/12 with Price throwing pucks into his own net and stuff. And ya sure, the Florida Panthers just blow... the Buffalo Sabres last year were terrible, there are legitimate bad teams in the league that need help. But a #4 pick is still a good pick. Depending on the draft class that could be a massive drop off in skill - sure, whatever. But the big complaint about the draft always has been is that it rewards teams for losing. The reasoning is that it brings competitive balance to the league. That's great and all, but when teams stop playing at the end of this year and start fighting for the McDavid & Eichel lottery, that's the opposite of competitive, and I'd be glad to see those teams fall to #4 & #5, screw em.

I actually can't wait to see a team placed 17th or 18th in the standings end up with the #1 overall. And I wish they had the rolled out the 2nd and 3rd picks for next year already, but oh well, good luck Buffalo, McDavid can go out East, I'm sure the media would prefer it that way anyway.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Naw man, I like the idea. Every year you see teams pulling the plug. Giving up. Race for the lottery. Clearly Montreal was throwing games in 11/12 with Price throwing pucks into his own net and stuff. And ya sure, the Florida Panthers just blow... the Buffalo Sabres last year were terrible, there are legitimate bad teams in the league that need help. But a #4 pick is still a good pick. Depending on the draft class that could be a massive drop off in skill - sure, whatever. But the big complaint about the draft always has been is that it rewards teams for losing. The reasoning is that it brings competitive balance to the league. That's great and all, but when teams stop playing at the end of this year and start fighting for the McDavid & Eichel lottery, that's the opposite of competitive, and I'd be glad to see those teams fall to #4 & #5, screw em.

I actually can't wait to see a team placed 17th or 18th in the standings end up with the #1 overall. And I wish they had the rolled out the 2nd and 3rd picks for next year already, but oh well, good luck Buffalo, McDavid can go out East, I'm sure the media would prefer it that way anyway.

I said this earlier in the thread, the reason the NHL went with this Draft Lottery is to "help" their larger, possibly non-playoff, Markets get a shot at a top end player.

The NHL Can't say it, but it would rather McDavid play for the Leafs or the Rangers then for the Sabres or Panthers (or Oilers) for their own selfish marketing reasons. That's fine, but this is my issue I think the NHL is "glossing" over the potential for an utter gongshow and then acting surprised about the gongshow.

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011

Even if this happens to a team, a team picking 4th overall 3 years in a row should be able to rebuild and recover. It is not like its absolutely mandatory that floundering teams be given 1st overalls in order to recover.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Even if this happens to a team, a team picking 4th overall 3 years in a row should be able to rebuild and recover. It is not like its absolutely mandatory that floundering teams be given 1st overalls in order to recover.

I'll tell you right now, I'd rather have Hall RHN Yakupov over Adam Larsson, Griffin Reinhart, and Ryan Johanson any day of the week.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I'll tell you right now, I'd rather have Hall RHN Yakupov over Adam Larsson, Griffin Reinhart, and Ryan Johanson any day of the week.

Sure but the impression of teams tanking is bad for the league. With the unbalanced schedule the team with the worst record isnt necessarily the worst team or the one in the most need of help. I think it's largely symbolic and yeah the Oilers fiasco over the past 5 years is probably a big reason for it.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
It's a dumb idea but it will likely benefit the Oilers. Oh well

I agree it will benefit the Oilers. It's ironic that the rule was probably introduced because of the Oilers getting three Nos. 1 and it will very likely benefit the Oilers.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I agree it will benefit the Oilers. It's ironic that the rule was probably introduced because of the Oilers getting three Nos. 1 and it will very likely benefit the Oilers.

Odd that they didn't do this when Pittsburgh drafted 1,2,1,2 or when the Nords went 1,1,1.

Oh well, it helps us. Shame that it's going to hurt some other teams in 2016 and beyond

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad