Post-Game Talk: Avs 6 - Jets 3, Avs win Series 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
I mean this with the utmost sincerity:

Good series, don’t hate the Jets like I do StL or Vegas.

Lowry is a goddamned beast and a hell of a shutdown C. Morrissey is so f***ing smooth.

I’ll leave you now in peace.
And most of us wish the Jets had played a series that made Av's fans freaking hate us with a passion.

Didn't happen.

Congrats on advancing to the second round, such a fantastic Colorado team over there -expecting them to go far. Again.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I've never seen a goalie in the playoffs scored on as many times as Hellebuyck was. 28?! Seriously
You've never seen it because it's never happened before. I was listening to the Illegal Curve podcast and they mentioned that Helle set an all-time NHL playoffs record for most goals allowed in a series ... and that was only in five games!

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Well, hugely disappointing to say the least. I never played hockey myself and I've really only been a fan since the Jets returned in 2011 so, I generally don't pretend to know why things are going wrong or right and I won't start to now. I'll simply say it's been my pleasure to spend another year cheering the Jets on with you guys - learning from you, laughing with you and, yes, sometimes sharing the pain with you.
Thanks for everything, guys. I'll be back and I hope y'all will, too. Have a great summer!

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I mean this with the utmost sincerity:

Good series, don’t hate the Jets like I do StL or Vegas.

Lowry is a goddamned beast and a hell of a shutdown C. Morrissey is so f***ing smooth.

I’ll leave you now in peace.
Thanks for the good wishes, but it wasn't a "good series", it was a cakewalk for the Avalanche. Which I 100% understand why you'd enjoy that, just as I would have enjoyed the Jets steamrolling the Avs without effort and setting a record for most goals scored in a series ... but for my money, a "good series" is one that's hard fought and down to the wire. YMMV but I have always found such series so much more enjoyable.

Lowry and Morrisey were pretty much the only brightspots.

Fivebuyck YET AGAIN showed us that he's a choker who puts up Vezina numbers in the regular season, and then is an AHL goalie in the playoffs. Unfortunately Jets just re-upped him for seven years.

Reactions: JetsUK

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Yeah, he'll likely be in the coaches good books next year due to undergoing his tough love right of passage and handling it well.

Think you may be right on that. Having been benched inexplicably despite killing it for games at a time following said benchings, and doing it yet again in a pressure-cooker elimination game -- the kid may finally have won that most elusive thing in sports, an NHL coach's "trust."

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well I guess we atleast didn't give up and lay an egg in this elimination game. Still another pathetic playoff showing by this group.

Bones went out coaching the way he wanted to in the end. Back to CSV and Toffoli on the second.

Happy Cole got a game and some playoff experience. Looked pretty good for his first game and looks like he can handle the speed and grit just fine.

This org needs to figure out if they can take this core and get it over the hump in the playoffs. The first thing they need to do is manage Mark and Helle's minutes. Neither was good enough. We also need to get support for JoMo, he can't do it all on his own.

In the end I'm pretty disappointed in how this year ended, and in this team. Too many duds in the playoffs, Ehlers again with a poor series. Chevy struck out hard at the deadline as his acquisitions where non existent at best.

I don't want the coaching staff back and we need to make changes to the dcore. I'd be fine moving on from Chevy as well and bringing in some new thinking.
the Jets got outplayed with Perfetti on the ice. contributed nothing this game on the score-sheet as well. be objective for once. this year you compared him to Datsyuk, Giroux or even Crosby so where was that at hockeyprofessor?

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Thinking about this some more, if the Jets play game 1 like they did game 5...I mean exactly, right down to the result...I think we have a series. Game 5 was a game where the effort was good and though there were areas to make corrections, it was something to build on. The problem with games 1-4 is that they were so unbelievably awful in almost all aspects that it was basically the equivalent of a Looney Tunes character running out of limbs to plugs the emerging holes in the dam with.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
I really don't want to just pick on Helly because our defense is crap beyond Morrissey , DeMelo , Dillon and Samberg but he's one of the highest paid goalies in the league and i expect him to be better than this playoffs , much better. It seemed like every time we scored , Colorado would score right after and kill off all of our momentum.
It seemed like they would score right after because they literally did.

Every. Single. Time

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
To be fair, if he does everyone on here downplays it.

He was the sole reason they won the Edmonton series, but everyone talks about the Jets (and Pionk) getting in McDavids face and outplaying them when it looked similar to this series but Helle was amazing and Smith was not.

He made the point of imagine Barron outplaying McDavid that often.

He got outplayed, so did the Jets. I'd rather the 18 skaters in front of the goalie be the better team consistently and not rely on the more volatile positio, but hey if hes generally good too awesome.

OK, but playoff Hellebuyck gets outplayed by .900 level goalies almost every damn time. It's the 1/5 (Edmonton in the bubble) where he outplayed the lesser goalie. So this isn't variance, this is Fivebuyck sucks in the playoffs. He puts up the arrogant "my s*** doesn't stink" exterior ... I don't know if he's actually a guy who just collapses under pressure underneath, or if he's so arrogant that he doesn't think he needs to put in effort post-season or what. But he's a problem, this series wasn't a one-off.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
We just need to treat regular season like the goal and the playoffs as a nice addition and then feel like we were successful.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
After sleeping on it here are my non emotional thoughts:

This org really went for it this year. They brought in a host of vets to supplement the core and went all in at the deadline. Even so the org as it has been in most series since 2018 was mere cannon fodder for a tier 1 team.

This really should tell management/ownership that this core isn't good enough to carry the team to a cup with veteran depth. Really the only way this core wins is if we pull a Dallas or an us circa 2015-2018 and infuse young talent that can push up the core. We can't find enough talent on the FA and trade markets to make this work as should be painfully clear over the last number of years.

This org needs to go back to its roots and focus a lot of resources on developing the pieces they need in-house.

Perfetti has now put in his time and should be built around on line 2. We need to see what Ville can do in a puck moving capacity on defense. Get both Lambert and Chibrikov games next year.

We need more talent and we are only going to get it through our procurement process.

This org should recognize by now how it got its most success and go back to replicating that process. Instead we've been he'll bent on trying to trade our way to a cup and that doesn't work in Canada.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Well, hugely disappointing to say the least. I never played hockey myself and I've really only been a fan since the Jets returned in 2011 so, I generally don't pretend to know why things are going wrong or right and I won't start to now. I'll simply say it's been my pleasure to spend another year cheering the Jets on with you guys - learning from you, laughing with you and, yes, sometimes sharing the pain with you.
Thanks for everything, guys. I'll be back and I hope y'all will, too. Have a great summer!
The secret is to confidently pretend you know what you're talking about, and BOOM... HFJets forum.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Think you may be right on that. Having been benched inexplicably despite killing it for games at a time following said benchings, and doing it yet again in a pressure-cooker elimination game -- the kid may finally have won that most elusive thing in sports, an NHL coach's "trust."

Yeah, some coaches like Bones seem to think they need to send messages to kids. I mean he keeps going off about Kucherov being benched etc. Like this was all some grand test by him to ensure Cole had the right character and attitude.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Well it's not his call, it's Chevy's but this org doesn't make the hard calls when it should so watch us run it all back.
I'd be surprised if Chevy moves on from Bones (although bones may walk anyway).
Bones played the players Chevy picked up at / near the deadline and went with Chevy's moves.
He also played Pionk (who Chevy paid $6M) and ran with the goaltender who chevy paid $8.5m.
Scheif played with who he wants to play with (after Chevy signed him long term to $8.5M).
The org is structured to do what ever is needed to keep the key players happy (the guys Chevy paid) and Bones just did what he was expected to do.
He didn't freak out like last year (live and learn) and pretty much followed the plan of what this org expects the coach to do - keep them all happy, play the guys that are getting paid, and no negative feedback on key players (which is the same as rubbing Chevy's face in his decisions).

I get that Bones will take the blame (or a lot of it) from the fans. But let's see what Chevy has to say as we close out the year - I'd be almost willing to bet that Chevy will spin it to support the decisions Chevy made and we'll hear more about the 110 pt reg season than we will about the PO's. The only comment you will hear on the PO's is how we ran into a very strong Aves team and did our best.

Perfetti might be the outlier - Bones didn't play him as much as some would like (and you for sure), but when you think about it, Chevy was the guy that pretty much pulled 91 out of the lineup with his deadline pickups - all Bones really did was play the hand he was dealt.

• Love
Reactions: Ggg99 and sipowicz

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
How many other teams would let GM go over 10 years with zero to show?
If Helle had some D in front of them maybe they could make it closer to Cup finals. I’m still shocked he signed long term.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I really don't want to just pick on Helly because our defense is crap beyond Morrissey , DeMelo , Dillon and Samberg but he's one of the highest paid goalies in the league and i expect him to be better than this playoffs , much better. It seemed like every time we scored , Colorado would score right after and kill off all of our momentum.
IMO Hellebuyck deserved to be crapped on and people need to stop giving him a free pass.

A tweet from Garret Hohl was posted saying that 1/5 or 20% of the time a "true talent .900" goalie will outplay a "true talent .920 goalie".

Helle has only outplayed the other team's goalie about 20% of the time (Edmonton bubble series, 2017 rounds 1 and 2, versus every other playoff series he's been in) so it's clear at this point that the "variance" is Helle having a good playoff series, NOT, Helle completely pooping the bed and setting an all-time NHL record for most goals allowed in a playoff series.

Reactions: Jets 31

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
IMO Hellebuyck deserved to be crapped on and people need to stop giving him a free pass.

A tweet from Garret Hohl was posted saying that 1/5 or 20% of the time a "true true .900" goalie will outplay a "true talent .920 goalie".

Helle has only outplayed the other team's goalie about 20% of the time (Edmonton bubble series, 2017 rounds 1 and 2, versus every other playoff series he's been in) so it's clear at this point that the "variance" is Helle having a good playoff series, NOT, Helle completely pooping the bed and setting an all-time NHL record for most goals allowed in a playoff series.
Cjob noon show have been praising Helle the last 2 weeks like he walks on water.

Reactions: sipowicz

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
And most of us wish the Jets had played a series that made Av's fans freaking hate us with a passion.

Didn't happen.

Congrats on advancing to the second round, such a fantastic Colorado team over there -expecting them to go far. Again.
It's tradition to win the cup after beating Wpg. If they get better than avg goaltending they're gonna win it all.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
How many other teams would let GM go over 10 years with zero to show?
If Helle had some D in front of them maybe they could make it closer to Cup finals. I’m still shocked he signed long term.
I'm thinking that no one was willing to trade for him and he saw the writing on the wall.

Other teams aren't blind. They can see how Fivebuyck vanishes come playoffs. I'm sure his agent said "no one else will sign you to that much money and term, take it and run".

Cjob noon show have been praising Helle the last 2 weeks like he walks on water.
Pretty much par for the course with Winnipeg media, isn't that?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
OK, but playoff Hellebuyck gets outplayed by .900 level goalies almost every damn time. It's the 1/5 (Edmonton in the bubble) where he outplayed the lesser goalie. So this isn't variance, this is Fivebuyck sucks in the playoffs. He puts up the arrogant "my s*** doesn't stink" exterior ... I don't know if he's actually a guy who just collapses under pressure underneath, or if he's so arrogant that he doesn't think he needs to put in effort post-season or what. But he's a problem, this series wasn't a one-off.
He just needs to practice more like Steve Carell.:laugh:

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Ponds and John Agar

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

A tweet from Garret Hohl was posted saying that 1/5 or 20% of the time a "true true .900" goalie will outplay a "true talent .920 goalie".

Firstly, I doubt if this group even makes the playoffs without Helly. Secondly that didn't look a .870 performance. It wasn't great.....but far better than the stats would suggest.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
You've never seen it because it's never happened before. I was listening to the Illegal Curve podcast and they mentioned that Helle set an all-time NHL playoffs record for most goals allowed in a series ... and that was only in five games!
And that might be a tough record to beat, considering it wasn’t already done by stand-up goalies in the 80s!

Reactions: Jets 31

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd be surprised if Chevy moves on from Bones (although bones may walk anyway).
Bones played the players Chevy picked up at / near the deadline and went with Chevy's moves.
He also played Pionk (who Chevy paid $6M) and ran with the goaltender who chevy paid $8.5m.
Scheif played with who he wants to play with (after Chevy signed him long term to $8.5M).
The org is structured to do what ever is needed to keep the key players happy (the guys Chevy paid) and Bones just did what he was expected to do.
He didn't freak out like last year (live and learn) and pretty much followed the plan of what this org expects the coach to do - keep them all happy, play the guys that are getting paid, and no negative feedback on key players (which is the same as rubbing Chevy's face in his decisions).

I get that Bones will take the blame (or a lot of it) from the fans. But let's see what Chevy has to say as we close out the year - I'd be almost willing to bet that Chevy will spin it to support the decisions Chevy made and we'll hear more about the 110 pt reg season than we will about the PO's. The only comment you will hear on the PO's is how we ran into a very strong Aves team and did our best.

Perfetti might be the outlier - Bones didn't play him as much as some would like (and you for sure), but when you think about it, Chevy was the guy that pretty much pulled 91 out of the lineup with his deadline pickups - all Bones really did was play the hand he was dealt.

I honestly think it's time for Chevy to go as well. We could use a fresh perspective. He's had over a decade at the helm, most organizations would have changed their senior leadership just to bring in new ideas by now.

With regards to Cole, he was already dropped down the lineup by Bones long before we got Tofolli. I'd argue Bones usage of him forced Chevy's hand at the deadline. But I don't expect we see the same next year. I think Cole passed Bones's tests with flying colors this year and will be in the coaches in crowd next year much like how Robertson and Hintz did in Dallas after a similar process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cypruss and Ponds
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad