Changes to the draft lottery...

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I think these changes will be beneficial to the Oilers, starting next year the odds are better for lower teams to get the 1st overall pick than previously. Also starting in 2016 they will be seeding the top 3 picks not just the 1st overall.

Over the next couple of years I don't see the Oilers as being as bad as they have in the past but also not being good enough to make a big jump.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728795&navid=nhl:topheads

by the way , I love polaris and love snowmobiles.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I too agree that it could be beneficial to us and I really don't know if this is the best route or not. It will be a wait and see I guess.

My one question is why with the phasing? Why not just jump in with both feet and be done with?

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I think these changes will be beneficial to the Oilers, starting next year the odds are better for lower teams to get the 1st overall pick than previously. Also starting in 2016 they will be seeding the top 3 picks not just the 1st overall.

Over the next couple of years I don't see the Oilers as being as bad as they have in the past but also not being good enough to make a big jump.

How many times has this been said only for the team to continue to be bad.:laugh:

Calgary McOilers

Sep 13, 2008
Calgary
I too agree that it could be beneficial to us and I really don't know if this is the best route or not. It will be a wait and see I guess.

My one question is why with the phasing? Why not just jump in with both feet and be done with?

Elliotte Friedman was on the radio this morning and confirmed that it is because there are two generational players in next year's draft. It's due to the lobbying by teams who have already invested into the tank job (such as Buffalo).

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

glad it's changed now that Edmonton shouldn't again be in the top 3.

and me too. I never get sick of the pop up ad for snowmobiles. :sarcasm:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Elliotte Friedman was on the radio this morning and confirmed that it is because there are two generational players in next year's draft. It's due to the lobbying by teams who have already invested into the tank job (such as Buffalo).

I also wouldn't be surprised that they would have been concerned that the Oilers luck out and win one of the top three spots again as most expect them to be out of the playoffs but probably not bottom five anymore. By next year, the odds of the Oilers making it is a bit higher.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I like this change, I've always thought it was unfair that the Leafs had to finish right near the bottom of the league to get the first overall pick, glad they corrected that for the good of hockey.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Lol. Am I the only one that finds that reasoning beyond stupid? The whole point is to deter tanking.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
I think the whole hockey world would implode if the Oilers won Mcdavid. Glad we have pretty good odds of this happening.

These changes will also make trade deadline day more interesting.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
There was a thread on the boards awhile back about how people here think the draft should be conducted to avoid tanking.

My suggestion was very close to what they will be going to.

I had top 2 lotto picks and the rest slightly better odds for those not reaching the playoffs.

Three seems a bit harsh for a team really struggling but still generally like the format.

The changes really should not effect the oilers one way or another.

Also I am not sure if mcdavid or eichel are "generational " like Crosby but both will be Damn good.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Tanking is actually a very very rare thing in my opinion. I do not think the Oilers tanked even once.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Tanking is actually a very very rare thing in my opinion. I do not think the Oilers tanked even once.

The first year we sucked was "primarily" due to a gross amount of injuries.

After that tho... We had some players just not work out for no foreseeable reason... but also were either unable or unwilling to improve the team internally or externally.

I think the Oilers let off the gas completely for a couple years there. Intentionally "tanking" or just not doing due diligence is just splitting hairs really. No way the Oilers organization was doing it's best to be a contender during those feeble years and if they were that's even worse if your an Oiler fan.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
There was a thread on the boards awhile back about how people here think the draft should be conducted to avoid tanking.

My suggestion was very close to what they will be going to.

I had top 2 lotto picks and the rest slightly better odds for those not reaching the playoffs.

Three seems a bit harsh for a team really struggling but still generally like the format.

The changes really should not effect the oilers one way or another.

Also I am not sure if mcdavid or eichel are "generational " like Crosby but both will be Damn good.

Johansen, Kane, Pietrangelo, etc. 4th overall is still a very, very good player who will help teams immensely. And the worst team would have to be extremely unlucky to not finish top 3

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Johansen, Kane, Pietrangelo, etc. 4th overall is still a very, very good player who will help teams immensely. And the worst team would have to be extremely unlucky to not finish top 3

Actually the worst team will pick outside the top three almost half the time.

This will make the lottery drawing a lot more interesting, that's for sure.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
I don't know if I agree with having the worst team to finish with potentially the 4th overall pick. That seems a little harsh. IMO, the best is to change the odds and have the winner of the lottery take the 1st overall pick.

Why is the NHL trying to take a page out of the NBA's book?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
How many times has this been said only for the team to continue to be bad.:laugh:

on paper some people like the changes--I think the product on the ice will not be what some expect---me I think we are going to try to play guys like Fayne and the guy from Columbas too much (the rarely played 20+ minutes a game in their career). We bought high on Pouliot and given him a 5 year deal will bring out the lazy bones his previous coaches talked about and do not get me started on second line center' Even if we had Scotty Bowmann as coach this team would be bad

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
^c'mon! Thomas Hickey wasn't even close to being the #4 ranked player when the Kings GM at the time picked him there!

Does it really matter? Your other options were Alzner, Cherpanov, Voracek and Gagner. Clearly guys that wouldn't have had much of impact for a few years.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Looks like we're getting out just in time. Like a Polaris snowmobile escaping an avalanche of rollover ads.

Remember when the Oilers were so good that the NHL had to make rules against them?
Now they're so bad that the NHL has to make rules against them.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Looks like we're getting out just in time. Like a Polaris snowmobile escaping an avalanche of rollover ads.

Remember when the Oilers were so good that the NHL had to make rules against them?
Now they're so bad that the NHL has to make rules against them.

What I don't understand is, why? It's not like tanking has turned us into a contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad