Confirmed with Link: Changes Incoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The Caps should be a desperate team. With the number of UFAs they have this off season, this year is probably their best chance.

It's going to be interesting to see if the stupidity among GMs continues when Oshie's agent asks for 8 years and $50M. Will he get it?

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
This was the Caps hail mary year and I think they'll get smoked by Pittsburgh. Shattenkirk and Oshie will most likely walk. They have something like 9 expiring contracts.

Shattenkirk will probably sign with the Rangers and Oshie will be bought out within 4 years.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
False. Lombardi was still trying to win. We are heading back into the "make the playoffs " era.

It's unlikely to be as good as 2 in 3 again, at the very least for a while. Detroit won back to back, and then had to load up with hall of fame guys to win again in 2002, which worked for one year. Then they had a great 3 year post-cap run, but only won once. Pittsburgh went back to back in the early 90's, it was over a decade later that they got Malkin and Crosby, and only 12 years after Crosby are they maybe going back to back again. It took what, 2.5 decades between Edmonton's last Cup and McDavid? With a surprise Finals run in the middle of that? Dallas, NJ, Colorado, nowhere close to what they once were.

Not easy to win, and not easy to have the right mix of players at the right time(how many times are you going to have Stevens, Niedermayer, and Broduer together at the same time?) to be considered a sure fire heavyweight contender. There's a small % of true no doubt contenders(is Chicago still part of that?), there's a whole bunch of teams trying to make the playoffs, and a small % of teams truly going through a rebuilding process, at any given time.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Caps are always having trouble in the first round when they have the 1-seed. These should've been easy sweeps.

Not this year, I have watched the Leafs for most of the year, in person and on TV, they are a hard working team with good team speed and guys have bought into what Babcock is preaching.

I'm not surprised the Caps are having issues with the Leafs.

For one, I am ****ing jealous of the Leafs going forward, lots of good times ahead for the franchise and their fans.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
What exactly do you call the last three years where the Kings finished 9th twice and made the playoffs and won 1 game the other time?

Trading picks and young players to try and sneak in is a doomed strategy and the pre-2014 DL always said so himself.

The Brown Hole. There's no point in going around and around about this anymore, it's been beaten to death.

By my count, this is the 3rd time the Kings are giving the GM job to an ex player. There's a reason Vachon and Taylor have never been GM anywhere else but here. I expect the same outcome with the current dynamic duo, but it is what it is.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Not this year, I have watched the Leafs for most of the year, in person and on TV, they are a hard working team with good team speed and guys have bought into what Babcock is preaching.

I'm not surprised the Caps are having issues with the Leafs.

For one, I am ****ing jealous of the Leafs going forward, lots of good times ahead for the franchise and their fans.

agree 100%. The leafs are trending up .... while the Kings are trending down.

That may make HF un-readable in a while.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The Brown Hole. There's no point in going around and around about this anymore, it's been beaten to death.

By my count, this is the 3rd time the Kings are giving the GM job to an ex player. There's a reason Vachon and Taylor have never been GM anywhere else but here. I expect the same outcome with the current dynamic duo, but it is what it is.

Yeah, I too am expecting a **** show.

I'm sorry, but if you haven't met Luc Robitaille in person, you don't know how bad it might get when it comes to the details of running the organization. Hopefully, Futa will be paying attention to these details. I don't think Blake has the experience.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The day after the EIchel not being happy with the coach/usage rumor that was denied by all parties today (like they had a choice). Not a coincidence. When you rising stud #1 center ain't happy, the coach goes.

Barry Melrose knows something about this.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
This was the Caps hail mary year and I think they'll get smoked by Pittsburgh. Shattenkirk and Oshie will most likely walk. They have something like 9 expiring contracts.

Shattenkirk will probably sign with the Rangers and Oshie will be bought out within 4 years.

The can't keep up with the Leafs speed, by the 3rd period they were gassed and holding on. Leafs played their worst game of the series and still had a shot.
I picked hte Caps in 7 because of experience but they look no different than past years. I'd love to see the Leafs pull the rug from under them.

Love Ovie's skill but as long as he's in the room, wearing the C, they won't win the Cup. 10 yrs and 4 coaches, same result.

Last year the GM said if they didn't win i t all there would be big changes.

And I don't see them getting past the Pens, who are a faster team.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The Caps should be a desperate team. With the number of UFAs they have this off season, this year is probably their best chance.

It's going to be interesting to see if the stupidity among GMs continues when Oshie's agent asks for 8 years and $50M. Will he get it?

Fool born every minute....

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
False. Lombardi was still trying to win. We are heading back into the "make the playoffs " era.
\

and that was the genesis of the problem. He couldn't see the forest for the trees. He watched every game and couldn't see that they weren't good enough. Trading top draft picks and prospects for rental players, just doesn't work.
He was still 'seeing' the past, and it cost them. It will take a few years to replenish what he lost.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Think any coaches will be let go after round one?

Quenneville I'm not sure will be let go, but a similar result next year and I think he'll be out.

If the Caps lose round one, Trotz might be on the hot seat.

Besides them, can't think of others, unless there are some assistant coaches the Kings are considering.

It's worth noting that Mike Sullivan had only two prior seasons of NHL head coaching experience before the Penguins hired him. Prior to his hiring, he served as an assistant on many teams and was coaching the baby Pens in the AHL.

They don't have to necessarily target an older, experienced coach like another Terry Murray or Darryl Sutter. A fresh voice, perspective and approach can go far.

Don't know if Stevens would be able to accomplish that, but I'm sure they're going to exhaust all options instead of settling on him. There must be a reason why his name always comes up for filling coaching vacancies.

Don't think the round will matter. GM said last year if they didn't win hte Cup, major changes will happen.
I don't pin this on Trotz, it's on Ovie. Love his skill but 10 yrs and 4 coaches = playoff failure.
I've maintained all along, thru these failures, as long as he's in that room and wearing the C, they will never win.

I like Trotz and if the Caps make that mistake, I think he should at least get an interview

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Let's see. Went to Bowling Green with Blake and Emerson. Played with Blake, Emerson and Luc. Dear God, please don't hire Bylsma! Damnit!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad