Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Dean was shook.

tumblr_inline_o5nfqzTjeG1re8tsx_500.gif

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
This was pretty interesting from the Mayor article. Never would've thought Lombardi wanted to fire him after missing in 2015, considering all the crap going on that season.

http://mayorsmanor.com/2017/04/the-final-interview-darryl-sutter-on-the-how-and-why-of-being-fired-plus-what-lies-ahead/

This makes no sense, so they keep him a year because the owner said keep him.
The following year seems the owner did not chime in and the sign him to an extentsion.

Starting to think Dean was pissed at Richards because he stopped selling him meds.

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
This makes no sense, so they keep him a year because the owner said keep him.
The following year seems the owner did not chime in and the sign him to an extentsion.

Starting to think Dean was pissed at Richards because he stopped selling him meds.

Or the most likely scenario is Hoven's full of ****.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
More and more happy that they made the changes.

I think the wheels were really starting to come off and AEG realized that.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
More and more happy that they made the changes.

I think the wheels were really starting to come off and AEG realized that.

They realized it when revenues started to dry up.

I'm not going to give them too much credit for making a change since everyone knew it was needed, although Lombardi was still kind of surprising due to his stature in Kings history.

The record of the last three years speaks for itself; however, I think Lombardi is still here if people were still willing to pay top dollar for the product that was out there.

I do like the NCAA UFA signing this week but it sounds like the Kings have been all over this kid so I'm not going to shower Blake with praise for it.

I do wonder how this year's draft is going to play out in the sense of is it Blake's draft or is it Lombardi's draft? I'm going to say it is Blake's draft no matter how it turns out as it always annoyed me that DL's first draft is not considered "his" draft by many when "Mr. From The Net Out" took a goalie with his first pick and then traded into the 1st for a classic Lombardi-type player in Lewis. Oh...he passed on Giroux? Well, it wasn't his draft so not his fault!

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm fascinated by the sudden love for AEG around here. Now to wait for the inevitable praise of Lieweke.

AEG finally had done something right when they gave Lombardi the opportunity to run the hockey side of the operation with limited interference.

Not sure about the recent moves.

Jun 30, 2006
2012 - Eliminated by the Kings in first round - 5 games

2013 - Eliminated by San Jose in first round - 4 games

2014 - Did not qualify

2015 - Eliminated by Calgary in first round - 6 games

2016 - Did not qualify

2017 - Did not qualify

Makes you wonder what they were waiting for, or did Vancouver management think the Kings, Shark, Ducks and Blackhawks were going to move to the Eastern Conference. Terrible asset management by a crap team.

I could see Lombardi ending up there in Vancouver, once Vancouver dumped Brian Burke they were never the same.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
They realized it when revenues started to dry up.

I'm not going to give them too much credit for making a change since everyone knew it was needed, although Lombardi was still kind of surprising due to his stature in Kings history.

The record of the last three years speaks for itself; however, I think Lombardi is still here if people were still willing to pay top dollar for the product that was out there.

I do like the NCAA UFA signing this week but it sounds like the Kings have been all over this kid so I'm not going to shower Blake with praise for it.

I do wonder how this year's draft is going to play out in the sense of is it Blake's draft or is it Lombardi's draft? I'm going to say it is Blake's draft no matter how it turns out as it always annoyed me that DL's first draft is not considered "his" draft by many when "Mr. From The Net Out" took a goalie with his first pick and then traded into the 1st for a classic Lombardi-type player in Lewis. Oh...he passed on Giroux? Well, it wasn't his draft so not his fault!

It's not considered his draft because none of his guys were in place, the head scout was Al [I have no idea who to pick next with our other 2 picks in the 2003 draft, so I'll call timeout] Murray. All the reports were from Taylors top notch scouting guys. I have no doubt Bernier was taken because Murray knew DL had a thing for goalies, not because he was the BPA. As for Lewis, Lombardi said he had no part in this pick and he was relying on the scouts when the pick was made.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Lombardi knew Philly was high on Lewis. The Flyers actually wanted Lewis with their pick, that's why Bobby Clarke forgot Giroux's name at the 2006 draft.

Also, the Kings were trying to acquire Luongo from Florida before he was moved to Vancouver. He failed to do so, thus the Bernier pick and the trade for Dan Cloutier.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
False. Lombardi was still trying to win. We are heading back into the "make the playoffs " era.

Every team tries to win. Sutter has always said "just make the playoffs," which they've done once since 2014.

Are you telling me they were contenders in 2015, 2016 and 2017? The past three seasons are the epitome of being a blackhole team.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Every team tries to win. Sutter has always said "just make the playoffs," which they've done once since 2014.

Are you telling me they were contenders in 2015, 2016 and 2017? The past three seasons are the epitome of being a blackhole team.

Detroit hasn't been trying to win for a decade. And I think you've forgotten what the real black hole is. Don't worry, it's coming.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Detroit hasn't been trying to win for a decade. And I think you've forgotten what the real black hole is. Don't worry, it's coming.

I think you have it wrong. Detroit signed guys like Mike Green and Stephen Weiss not too long ago. Holland has been trying to win. That doesn't change the fact that his team is in the same position the Kings have been in over the past three years.

Last edited:

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
i tweeted rosan @lakingsinsider Are the kings waiting on round one to finish for a coach to maybe become available should he be let go?

and got this

they haven't said so publicly, but that's a valid question. Still hearing they're focusing on Stevens before deciding whether to expand

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Think any coaches will be let go after round one?

Quenneville I'm not sure will be let go, but a similar result next year and I think he'll be out.

If the Caps lose round one, Trotz might be on the hot seat.

Besides them, can't think of others, unless there are some assistant coaches the Kings are considering.

It's worth noting that Mike Sullivan had only two prior seasons of NHL head coaching experience before the Penguins hired him. Prior to his hiring, he served as an assistant on many teams and was coaching the baby Pens in the AHL.

They don't have to necessarily target an older, experienced coach like another Terry Murray or Darryl Sutter. A fresh voice, perspective and approach can go far.

Don't know if Stevens would be able to accomplish that, but I'm sure they're going to exhaust all options instead of settling on him. There must be a reason why his name always comes up for filling coaching vacancies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
That makes one of us. I'm ready for the black hole.

What exactly do you call the last three years where the Kings finished 9th twice and made the playoffs and won 1 game the other time?

Trading picks and young players to try and sneak in is a doomed strategy and the pre-2014 DL always said so himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad