Player Discussion Change of scenery

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Scince it's off season, Skinner has signed and so we don't have a lot left to speculate about at this point, I want to raise this topic: What players do you see out there that could benefit from a change of scenery and that you'd be willing to take a shot at? In the NHL or anywhere. And what would you be willing to give to get them?

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
upload_2019-6-8_8-11-33.jpeg

Willing to give up: Nylander - Fenton seems to have an obsession with untapped potential

Reactions: Aladyyn

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Patrick
Wennberg
Roslovic
Poolparty
Namestnikov
Burakovsky

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
RFA - William Karlsson
UFA - Matts Zuccarello

Zuccarello would be a huge addition to the top 6. Played for Krueger at the WC. While I believe Dallas wants to resign him, Cap Space might be an issue for them as well as the 1st round draft pick ramifications. Dallas moves their 1st instead of a 3rd if they do in fact resign him. Listening to the NHL network, Dallas is having those internal conversations now.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Haula/Eakin (both 1yr left on contract)
Craig Smith (1yr), think he'd be a higher end Pominville type who could ride Top6RW
Toffoli (1yr)
Faksa (1yr-RFA)
Perreault (2yr)
Virtanen (1yr - RFA)
Pageau (1yr)

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Cheap reclamation projects:
Fabbri
Ho-Sang
Dal Colle

Potentially undervalued players:
Nick Cousins (RFA)
Oscar Fantenberg (UFA)
Slater Koekkoek
Matt Nieto
Julius Honka (RFA)
Michael Amadio (RFA)
Tyler Toffoli (pls)
Craig Smith
Jesper Fast
Dominik Simon
Tim Heed (UFA)
Dmitrij Jaskin

More of a list of players who could likely handle a bigger role rather than change of scenery, idk

Reactions: TheCerebral1

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
William Karlsson is apparently not having good negotiations in Vegas. He would be my #1 target.
Honestly don’t know what it would cost but anything short of our core should be in play.

Man, that would solve a lot of problems for our roster. A 1-2-3 down the middle of Eichel-Karlsson-Mitts (or Eichel-Karlsson-Reinhart, with Mitts shifting to the wing) would be pretty nice. I'm sure he wouldn't be cheap to acquire, but that's a guy worth parting with some good assets for.

Reactions: DJN21

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I also really like Karlsson, but what Vegas will ask in response? Perhaps they need to unload cap, so perhaps something around of our #7 and their #17 plus any prospects.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Is the secret title of this tread: Hope the Sabres sign someone and get lucky, but mercilessly shit on them if they continue to be who they are?

At one point Sheary would have been on these sorts of lists.

Reactions: jBuds

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Please move on from: (Our Change of Scenery types)

One of Bogosian, Scandella, Hunwick. - Scandella likely has the most appeal.
One of Okposo, Sobotka - Not sure anyone would touch Okposo (woof), unless it were someone like Loui Eriksson (he's a swede = we need - just f***ing kidding!). In addition, Sobotka has no value at all. Perhaps a perpetual bottom feeder who uses cap like a siv / sponge in Arizona would take him for the year for a low tier return (I could hope on Cousins)?
Keep your options open on guys like Sheary, Ristolainen, Nylander.
I'd be okay moving Hutton for the right return.

UnleashRasmus

Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Cheap reclamation projects:
Fabbri
Ho-Sang
Dal Colle

Potentially undervalued players:
Nick Cousins (RFA)
Oscar Fantenberg (UFA)
Slater Koekkoek
Matt Nieto
Julius Honka (RFA)
Michael Amadio (RFA)
Tyler Toffoli (pls)
Craig Smith
Jesper Fast
Dominik Simon
Tim Heed (UFA)
Dmitrij Jaskin

More of a list of players who could likely handle a bigger role rather than change of scenery, idk

Off of that list, Honka, Cousins, Heed, Simon. These are the types of moves this team needs. We desperately need depth, players who can fit in our line up that can put points on the board. Cousins had a VERY underrated season and does a bit of everything. Similarly, can be said of Dominik Simon. If there's a UFA I want it's Tim Heed. He can come in and replace Pilut on the back end and is right handed which is still a weaker point on our back end heading into 2020-22 in that peak three year period. Unless, of course Borgen shows he's ready to take the big step in training camp. Jaskin is slightly more offensive than Girgensons, but it's an overall wash to me. He's definitely an interesting player.

On this list, I would not touch Josh Ho-Sang with a 10 foot poll, that kid is toxic, and will be a tire fire. PASS! I liked Dal Colle's game in junior, and he finally started showing something in the AHL. I'm concerned personally of the wear and tare on Fabbri's body. He's had two separate albeit major injuries.

UnleashRasmus

Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Patrick
Wennberg
Roslovic
Poolparty
Namestnikov
Burakovsky

Patrick, will not be cheap. Any team looking to acquire him will be giving up a premium back end piece or a high first round pick. I'm not giving up #7 for him personally. Now if he can stabilize, similarly to Nugent Hopkins who had the almost identical early career injury concerns, then sure he's an excellent piece at 20-21 to acquire. I love the idea of Roslovic and if he's cheapish, I'd give up something for him to come in and provide competition and push Mitts. Burakovsky is a great great great idea, that this team should be looking to add, size, and speed, with a decent shot.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
RFA - William Karlsson
UFA - Matts Zuccarello

Zuccarello would be a huge addition to the top 6. Played for Krueger at the WC. While I believe Dallas wants to resign him, Cap Space might be an issue for them as well as the 1st round draft pick ramifications. Dallas moves their 1st instead of a 3rd if they do in fact resign him. Listening to the NHL network, Dallas is having those internal conversations now.
Those are both pretty proven players, not "change of scenery" guys.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Fabbri?

Edit:
or barbashev for that matter

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Tim Schaller
Miikka Salomaki

When I have my coffee I will post more.

I have had a lot of coffee since...

JP Pageau remains my favorite buy-lower value player, even if they roll an extension into the deal that puts him in Brock Nelson's neighborhood.

Tim Heed as a RHD should get a lot more love than he's had but again, do the Sharks let him get all the way to UFA or do they get him locked in before July 1st?

A depth guy who has been on the radar for a while and I see Aladdyn mentioned him already is Dmitrij Jaskin. He's RFA with the Caps and does some of the things the team has said they want (gritty/hitty) without being bad at defending. They let him slip by back in October, they should be looking at him again as a possible 3/4 RW option who should cost next to nothing in contract or acquisition price. If they need someone to take up space in a positive fashion for a year or two while waiting on other players to arrive, they could (and have) done worse.

Schaller seems to be on the outs with some of the Canuck fans and press, though he still does things that one would want in a defensive player in a 3/4 LW and PKing role.

I wonder if Haydn Fleury is someone who could be available. They have Jake Bean coming along and an already stocked blueline. His ELC is up, he's run out of waiver eligibility and he got very little use in a few of the Canes playoff games. There still seems to be the skillset of a quality NHL defenseman there - size, hands, brain, maybe the feet. He's in here, with the more drool-worthy Pesce: 31 Thoughts: Why navigating Phil Kessel trade won't be easy for Penguins - Sportsnet.ca

5. After the Hurricanes were eliminated, a couple of sources indicated there was some in-season frustration from Brett Pesce that might force a trade. Waddell confirmed that was true, but is no longer a concern. From the start of the season through December, Pesce was seventh on the team in ice-time, down 1:31 per night from his 2017-18 average. From New Year’s Day on, he jumped to 21:20, behind only Slavin and Justin Faulk. (His playoff number was 23:06, also third). Crisis averted. Good news for Carolina, he’s a good player. If there is a defenceman who might get moved, it is Haydn Fleury. No longer waiver-eligible, he needs a place to play.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I like the option with Jaskin, I know little about Fleury, but it seems that I recently saw a deal, Fleury for Nylander was suggested by a Carolina fan, although I would rather give Thompson or Sheary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad