Change in Habs leadership

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
People act as if they were in the dressing room. Gio gets knocked for not being a rah rah guy or something. Yet Koivu is hailed as the ultimate captain...and even he was criticized for the same crap.

Give it to Subban...if not..then go a year without a captian

24CH....we were in the dressing room. ;)

bigtimehockeyfan999*

"We felt that with our performance during the playoffs our young core was ready to take a bigger role when it comes to leadership," Bergevin said. "Eventually you need to give your young players a chance to take over that role."

from NHL.com...send in all thr rooks :laugh: i hope young forward gets a chance....maybe de la rose

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
People act as if they were in the dressing room. Gio gets knocked for not being a rah rah guy or something. Yet Koivu is hailed as the ultimate captain...and even he was criticized for the same crap.

Give it to Subban...if not..then go a year without a captian

No captain?

That was Jock Martin/Bob Gainey insanity.

We are far removed from that period thankfully.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
Bergevin said it very clearly: there are guys that get you to the playoffs and guys that get you through the playoffs. Your leaders need to be guys that belong to the second group AT LEAST. Gionta and Gorges, who are both great guys did not perform during our run to the ECF. It is hard to stand up in the room and say "follow me guys, let's get this done" when you are being carried by those that perform. Therefore the change of guard.

I would give an A to Max, an A to PK and the C to Markov. In three years PK (28) becomes captain when Markov is gone.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
It was 2010, a stellar year actually. Things went bad the next year when they finally picked Gio.

Not to rehash, but the Habs barely squeaked in and rode the pads/glove of Halak while being outplayed game after game in the playoffs.

We appeared rudderless and lost against the Flyers.

Nope. Do not want to go back to that type of thinking from a coach or management.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Bergie said something about the young guys like "it's their team now. They are the leaders. Guys like Price, Subban, Gally, Max". Never mentioned Markov and Plek. :laugh:

There's a design to this madness. But I can't think of anybody who could be the Captain. Maybe they could name Plek as a transition guy?

Habarazzi

Feb 19, 2008
Brandon Prust will get a lot of consideration for an "A" .... he is well respected in the room

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Bergie said something about the young guys like "it's their team now. They are the leaders. Guys like Price, Subban, Gally, Max". Never mentioned Markov and Plek. :laugh:

There's a design to this madness. But I can't think of anybody who could be the Captain. Maybe they could name Plek as a transition guy?

Give it to Subban or Gallagher.

They would be your captains for 12+ years.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Not to rehash, but the Habs barely squeaked in and rode the pads/glove of Halak while being outplayed game after game in the playoffs.

We appeared rudderless and lost against the Flyers.

Nope. Do not want to go back to that type of thinking from a coach or management.

They went far cause of Halak but it was an incredible team achievement from top to bottom.

When they needed shot blocked they had Gill and Gorges, when they needed guys to annoy Sid and AO, Gill and Hammer took charge of that. When they needed timely goals, Gio and Cammy and Moen and Lapierre and Moore delivered.

Nobody was thinking about themselves and everybody contributed. That was good leadership to me without having anybody being assigne the role.

And they fell to the Flyers cause they had no more juice and all the hard workers couldn't compensate for their lack of talent.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Subban.

If we are talking about a genuine change in leadership, then it has to be him; both he and Price are seen as the leaders of the younger group.

Markov & Pleks are merely "next in line" type selections.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
i
Its already been leaked; Desharnais will be the Captain AND the two assistants at the same time.

39nHtAy.jpg

This, unlike the Gorges captain of the Kelowna Rockets pic, is obviously not photoshopped.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I am ready to put my hand in fire that PK will get an "A".

I'd also suspect that either Markov or Plekanec will get the "C"

Better have asbestos gloves handy. The fact that Subban hasn't re-signed means some team could extend him an offer sheet for two years. Of course the Habs would match it if he accepts, but then he'd automatically become a UFA after his contract is up in 2016 and he could go to the highest bidder without compensation.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
Better have asbestos gloves handy. The fact that Subban hasn't re-signed means some team could extend him an offer sheet for two years. Of course the Habs would match it if he accepts, but then he'd automatically become a UFA after his contract is up in 2016 and he could go to the highest bidder without compensation.

Bollocks.

TheBourkeIdentity

May 15, 2010
Forlando;87511233 Gionta and Gorges said:
I'm going to be a little voice of dissent here. While Gionta may not have performend on the scoresheet, his defensive play I think helped us get as far as we did.

I'm not sad he's gone, primarily becuase of Therrien's use of him as a top-6 winger. But his play on the third line was more than adequate.

Keep in mind, he was the last guy on the team who has actually won a cup, I do think the Habs will miss that aspect. But at the price for a third line winger...

It was time for him to go, just don't discount what he did for this team.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Would love for subban to get it lol but a lil too soon, he WILL be captain one day

Markov didn't want it last time, probably still doesn't because he doesn't like to talk to media too much

it will most probably be plekanec

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad