Speculation: Chance Pierre Engvall put on waivers -Paraphrased Jonas Siegal

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Definitely a long suffering fan. Have read a couple dozen Leafs' books, watched decades of Leafs' games, I fondly remember dozens of former Leafs you've probably never heard about. My favourite Leafs of the distant past include Terry Martin, Dan Daoust, Rocky Saganiuk, Mark Osborne, Jamie Macoun, Brad Marsh, Daniel Marois. I always followed the secondary players as much as the star players because I identify more with them. I suspect you're not really a fan of the team but a fan of its star players and its GM. Your type come and go. You'll jump ship when the stars fade or move on, seen it many times.

Lol you read about them in a book I watched them. BTW the only named jersey I own is #32 Daniel Marois, bought it during his rookie year.

Unlike you I still like to the Leafs. Sad to someone so bitter that they can only find the bad side. Are you like that with the rest of your life too? Or just the Leafs?

Reactions: saltming

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Chance is just as ambiguous. Technically there is a chance that Matthews is put on waivers.
My point is I don't think it's news worthy, but that is just my opinion

Well posted @saltming

I thought there is a chance if put on wavers a team may take a chance on him. He has size, can play center or the wing, plays the defensive side, can PK and has shown flashes of offensive ability. Sounds like something a basement dweller would be interested for free. On the negative side he shows little consistency on offence and has little physical game.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Chance is just as ambiguous. Technically there is a chance that Matthews is put on waivers.
My point is I don't think it's news worthy, but that is just my opinion
Yet another "Heybuddy" production......

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not sure Semyonov and Anderson are really a 'Marlies line' when both could realistically make the Leafs roster this year. It seems more like a fringe competition line.

He played with Semyonov and Simmonds in practice today. Simmonds too is in that fringe category.

Spezza played with Amadio and Robertson, and those two are more likely to be Marlies next year than Engvall, Semyonov, Anderson, and Simmonds. I don't think Spezza is going to end up on the Marlies either.

I imagine Engvall will be traded, but maybe not right away. It could be a November-January trade when another team wants a depth upgrade and a team is willing to give up a future mid-round pick for him. I highly doubt he ends up on the Marlies. Same goes for Semyonov, who is more likely going to be a taxi-squad guy. If Semyonov spends more than a month, or the odd tune-up game, on the Marlies next year, I would be surprised.

Is that 5 man Covid taxi-squad still a thing a sure thing for this year?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Well posted @saltming

I thought there is a chance if put on wavers a team may take a chance on him. He has size, can play center or the wing, plays the defensive side, can PK and has shown flashes of offensive ability. Sounds like something a basement dweller would be interested for free. On the negative side he shows little consistency on offence and has little physical game.
He is a serviceable player that won't really hurt a team. Not bad for a bottom dweller as you said.
Imo him leaving would be a good sign as that would mean we are replacing him with better.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Like the Goat he has size but unwilling to use it to enforce any physicality. Either have the coach speak to him about asserting himself or have the coach help him pack his suitcase because it won't be a long stay.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Lol you read about them in a book I watched them. BTW the only named jersey I own is #32 Daniel Marois, bought it during his rookie year.

Unlike you I still like to the Leafs. Sad to someone so bitter that they can only find the bad side. Are you like that with the rest of your life too? Or just the Leafs?

Remember that goal Marois scored against Detroit in an elimination game? It was before his rookie season. Those were some sweet shifty moves.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Remember that goal Marois scored against Detroit in an elimination game? It was before his rookie season. Those were some sweet shifty moves.

Wow really, that wasn't him, the guy you are thinking of was Nikolai Borschexsky (I had to look up the spelling, I always get it wrong)

I guess your book learning wasn't so good. LOL

I actually watched it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I listened to the bit, it was pure Jonas chit chat and not a piece of journalism.

Reactions: Ciao

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Like the Goat he has size but unwilling to use it to enforce any physicality. Either have the coach speak to him about asserting himself or have the coach help him pack his suitcase because it won't be a long stay.

The Goat was good an angling people into the boards and taking the puck or protecting the puck with his big frame.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Wow really, that wasn't him, the guy you are thinking of was Nikolai Borschexsky (I had to look up the spelling, I always get it wrong)

I guess your book learning wasn't so good. LOL

I actually watched it.

Playoffs 1988.

Last edited:
Reactions: egd27

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Can you imagine waiving Pierre Engvall to keep Principal PC Justice on the roster? That would be a complete self-own.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The $1.25M salary may allow him to pass through in the wave of buriable guys that will hit waivers over the next couple weeks.

I still think you have to see what he can do with offensive players before you do that but if he passes through it would be awesome for maintaining depth.

Yes, it certainly may....

However it could also prevent him from being recalled in case of short term injuries.

The Leafs cap situation is such that whether Engvall is on the team, or a guy like Brooks, they can only carry 21 players.

2 guys get hurt without qualifying for LTIR, and you're into a roster emergency situation where you can only bring up guys who make $850k or less.

The prevailing thought right now says that the top 12 are:
Ritchie-Matthews-Marner
Bunting-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Kase
Simmonds-Kampf-Spezza

Barring Gusev making the team, to me Pierre Engvall is the ideal 13th forward.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Is that 5 man Covid taxi-squad still a thing a sure thing for this year?

No, but I don't think it really matters. We can just paper transaction him to the Marlies when we need him off of the roster, but I doubt that means he plays very often with the Marlies either.

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
I wouldn't be surprised if this is partly the coaching staff trying to light a fire under him. I recall reading how they were frustrated that he seemed to get too comfortable last year, hence was in and out of the lineup before he finally woke up later in the year.

There's a fair bit of wildcard bottom-6 competition for a reason. Engvall needs to answer. (Although it'd be a shame if he's being held back by injury at the moment).

His $1.25m is an oddly tweener contract too. Not so much that it poses much of a cap headache, and definitely had potential to pay off if he kept developing, but it's also frustrating when he goes missing for stretches and you know a guy making $750k could fill his role.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Yes, it certainly may....

However it could also prevent him from being recalled in case of short term injuries.

The Leafs cap situation is such that whether Engvall is on the team, or a guy like Brooks, they can only carry 21 players.

2 guys get hurt without qualifying for LTIR, and you're into a roster emergency situation where you can only bring up guys who make $850k or less.

The prevailing thought right now says that the top 12 are:
Ritchie-Matthews-Marner
Bunting-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Kase
Simmonds-Kampf-Spezza

Barring Gusev making the team, to me Pierre Engvall is the ideal 13th forward.
I would rather they carry seven defencemen. The top four, plus all of Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren.

With 12 forwards and two goalies, that's a 21-man roster and it's all they can squeeze under the cap.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I would rather they carry seven defencemen. The top four, plus all of Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren.

With 12 forwards and two goalies, that's a 21-man roster and it's all they can squeeze under the cap.

Sandin & Liljegren are both waiver-exempt; from a sheer asset-management standpoint, it makes no sense to give up an opening night roster spot to both of these guys, when it means having to put another guy through waivers. Over the last few years, the Leafs have really established themselves as a team that prioritizes asset retention and flexibility over "putting guys in the spot they belong".

It's the same reason why it'll take a monumental effort by the likes of Robertson to make this team barring an injury.

Reactions: Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad