Speculation: Chance Pierre Engvall put on waivers -Paraphrased Jonas Siegal

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
(Paraphrasing)

Jonas Siegal the athletic The Leaf Report Podcast

Commenting on the forward lines:

"One person who was interesting was Engvall who looks like he was put on a Marlie line with Joey Anderson, and Kirill Semyonov. That says to me that Keefe is telling Engvall amid all these new guys coming in that you're going to have to prove it, and earn your way on to the team. Pierre Engvall was on their 3rd line in the playoffs, and now there's a chance he gets waived before the season."

This shouldn't be too big of a surprise for leaf fans. He's a marginal forward with a little bit of defensive abilities. Given that there is a lot of competition for a few bottom 6 spots, what do you see with Engvall?

A trade?
A Marlie?

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not sure Semyonov and Anderson are really a 'Marlies line' when both could realistically make the Leafs roster this year. It seems more like a fringe competition line.

He played with Semyonov and Simmonds in practice today. Simmonds too is in that fringe category.

Spezza played with Amadio and Robertson, and those two are more likely to be Marlies next year than Engvall, Semyonov, Anderson, and Simmonds. I don't think Spezza is going to end up on the Marlies either.

I imagine Engvall will be traded, but maybe not right away. It could be a November-January trade when another team wants a depth upgrade and a team is willing to give up a future mid-round pick for him. I highly doubt he ends up on the Marlies. Same goes for Semyonov, who is more likely going to be a taxi-squad guy. If Semyonov spends more than a month, or the odd tune-up game, on the Marlies next year, I would be surprised.

Reactions: ponder and nuck

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
if you can get a 6th round pick for him, i would consider it a win.
my gut says he hits waivers and someone like arizona/anaheim picks him up.

Reactions: Ciao

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
The $1.25M salary may allow him to pass through in the wave of buriable guys that will hit waivers over the next couple weeks.

I still think you have to see what he can do with offensive players before you do that but if he passes through it would be awesome for maintaining depth.

Reactions: Tarmore

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Might get picked up by Kraken to build on the Swedish mafia they have going on.

Reactions: banks

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Bad idea

You just got Kampf and can put together a "shutdown" defensive line and you waive or trade one of your best defensive forwards

Give him a run with Kampf and then made a decision imo

Amadio (or someone else) could easily take that spot though on such a line, nothing should be guaranteed for Engvall… I do like him though and if he earns his spot, well that’s what training camp is all about.

Also hate when reporters jump to conclusions like this 1 day into training camp.

Reactions: aingefan

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Last year Hyman-Engvall-Mikheyev was completely dominant (so of course they broke it up). I watched Engvall shut down McDavid. He has insane speed and has a huge wingspan and reach where he can poke check players when a full stride behind. He was one of the only players I've ever seen shutdown McDavid with ease. The cons are he has some mental lapses and give aways but that can be fixed. Kampf (although has less offense then Hyman) is even better defensively and it allows Engvall to go to wing where he can be even better. Engvall-Kampf-Mikheyev would be very good. Not happy about losing him if they do.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Last year Hyman-Engvall-Mikheyev was completely dominant (so of course they broke it up). I watched Engvall shut down McDavid. He has insane speed and has a huge wingspan and reach where he can poke check players when a full stride behind. He was one of the only players I've ever seen shutdown McDavid with ease. The cons are he has some mental lapses and give aways but that can be fixed. Kampf (although has less offense then Hyman) is even better defensively and it allows Engvall to go to wing where he can be even better. Engvall-Kampf-Mikheyev would be very good. Not happy about losing him if they do.

another con - he's one of the biggest guys on the ice but plays like he's a foot smaller. Absolutely no physicality to his game whatsoever. I won't lose any sleep over seeing him walk.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Seems like a middle of the pack bottom 6 guy. They can definitely do better at that position but they better fully believe it’s an upgrade; Engvall is no slouch and he is part of team chemistry by now.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Engvall is a ok utility player, has decent corsi numbers, but they brought in a better one in Kampf for centre.

Engvall took 12 minutes in penalties during the playoffs. 2 giveaways, no takeaways, 40% on the draw. Had 1 assist.

If one of the PTO guys stick in the top 6, he’s in tough because all of a sudden Kerfoot, Bunting or Ritchie, a healthy Kase all are in competition for a bottom 6 spot. (Simmonds and Spezza are probably already locks) then he’s really fighting it out with Mikheyev and Brooks for 1 spot due to no Cap room for a 13th forward

You hope he clears waivers and he is available for injury fill in later I guess.

Reactions: Ciao

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Dude has all the tools but anybody who watches him can clearly see he lacks shift to shift and game to game compete level.
Is he likely to discover this at 25 years old...no

Keefe has tried to poke and prod this out of Engval without success. He is what he is. A decent PK guy/4th liner that won't bring that extra edge that is needed to win a playoff series.
If we lose him oh well, he has hit a wall since he signed his generous contract.

Reactions: Smif

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Sending him to the Marlies would mean $175K in dead cap (if I'm reading the rules properly) assuming he clears.
Not a lot, but not desirable either given the cap situation.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Timing is everything and it's somewhat possible he'd clear if put on waivers concurrently with a number of others around the league. More forwards in competition than there are available spots on this team.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Not a fan of his and don't want him on the playoff roster so its not a big a deal, however, it does hurt our regular season depth as he can play 4th line LW and C

He's not a terrible player, hes decent all around but not really great at anything

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Sending him to the Marlies would mean $175K in dead cap (if I'm reading the rules properly) assuming he clears.
Not a lot, but not desirable either given the cap situation.

What cap situation? Being close to the cap? Basically, any team that would like to contend or has the funds spends to the cap, never understand this.

We save cap if we play someone under I think 1.125 million and waive Engvall.

Reactions: banks

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The one where you are unable to have the full 23 man roster available to you because you are out of money.

The one where you need to ensure you have multiple low cost non ELC players to stay compliant.

Does Tampa have a cap situation? The Islanders? Vegas?

We are playing virtually no ELCs this year (maybe 0), it was a choice to sign someone like Ritchie, we could have skipped on him, used Robertson instead and boom, you find something else to complain about.

They are using the roster limits to maximize their team, it allows them to sign someone like Ritchie instead of using an ELC if they don't think they are ready.

Why are low cost non ELC's an issue? We also don't have many ELCs ready due to terrible drafting (thanks Lou)

We could just trade Matthews for some picks and call it a day, it solves our cap situation.

Reactions: banks and Tarmore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad