Speculation: Chance of Gostisbehere to earn a spot in october?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Yeah, I thought that could only happen if the player had played in Europe rather than the CHL. It might have something to do with the fact that he only played 1 chl season, and played in Finland prior to that?

Looks like it has something do with the fact that he was "on loan" to the CHL and not actually under their control. Seems like a weird loophole.

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2014/9...s-honka-ahl-jim-nill-training-camp-cedar-park

It would appear, however, that it's possible for players on loan from European clubs to the CHL could avoid this to a degree. It is a complicated loophole and one that hasn't been explored much.

Whether Honka is on loan to the Swift Current Broncos depends upon the terms of his contract with them. Unfortunately the terms don't appear to be public. Those terms would answer many of the questions about where he is eligible to play next year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I condone the notion of developing guys as much as possible, and giving them stability by easing them along slowly while they hone their games and make sure they're ready for the NHL, but when you have an already subpar blue line, and ghost has been playing like he could already be one of the most valuable pieces on the back-end for us, you have to wonder whether it's the best course of action to have him anywhere but the NHL roster. Some players develop better when thrust into that position, and I think ghost has the confidence and the work ethic to be that type of player.

No, being in LHV won't hurt him, but If he can be s legitimate upgrade at the NHL level, he should be here. The process shouldnt be so formulaic

I guess they figured that Ghost's development was more important than having a slight upgrade at D.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I guess they figured that Ghost's development was more important than having a slight upgrade at D.

Exactly. Ghost looked good but he didn't really surprise me with anything (Morin otoh did). He looked good doing the things we already knew he could do- skating, shooting, generally offensive d-man type things. But he was a little rough in his own end and at times (to me at least) looked a little panicky with the puck.

I'd much rather see him play lots of minutes with the Phantoms, play on the PP and PK as well as 5-5. Refine his game some and get used to the greater speed and size playing against men as compared to the NCAA.

I think this can only be good for his development, and for the Flyers future a few years out. The immediate gains he might have provided to the Flyers if he stayed up are not worth it imo.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Morin-Coburn
Grossmann-Streit
MacDonald-Schenn
MDZ

It certainly looks like this could be it if they keep Morin up for a bit. Then send him down to the CHL after his 9 games and let MDZ step in and play 5 games...bring Schultz up.

That would bring us to Nov 9th. We then have 5 days off in a row to re-evaluate things and assess how MDZ has played.

And Schultz will clear. And at this point, so what if he didn't. He is our #7/8. Manning or OL could always come up if needed to for a game or 2 to sit in the pressbox.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It certainly looks like this could be it if they keep Morin up for a bit. Then send him down to the CHL after his 9 games and let MDZ step in and play 5 games...bring Schultz up.

That would bring us to Nov 9th. We then have 5 days off in a row to re-evaluate things and assess how MDZ has played.

And Schultz will clear. And at this point, so what if he didn't. He is our #7/8. Manning or OL could always come up if needed to for a game or 2 to sit in the pressbox.

Yeah I like this plan. See how things pan out with Morin in real NHL action. Unless he absolutely kills it, send him back. I just want to get a look at him at full-speed full-roster NHL games! Haha.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah I like this plan. See how things pan out with Morin in real NHL action. Unless he absolutely kills it, send him back. I just want to get a look at him at full-speed full-roster NHL games! Haha.

So do I!

I'm am so torn between doing what I think is right for the player long term vs the teams short term gain and seeing "new blood" from the kids.

But deep down, I think he should go back and dominate the Q and work on his offense and D. Also go make TC at the WJC.

We are not winning the cup anyways, so his best interest should be put 1st. And as much I can't wait for him to plaster Malkin or Sid along the boards, they should make us wait 1 more year.(Actually game 7 is against the Pens!)

Hell...we all thought he would need 1 more Q year then 1-2 in the AHL.

Maybe they looked at the schedule and think that his big body will help against the bigger teams. We have Boston, NJ, Habs,Ducks, Dallas, Chic, Pitt, Det, LA to start the season and most play a physical brand of hockey. So his size and skating could really help.

Who knows.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That's my guess. I don't see it though. He's looked good enough to be an NHL player, but I think he, more than Ghost, would benefit from more time. The problem is, I think Morin is too good for CHL but he is too young to go to the AHL (although the Stars just sent Julius Honka to the AHL somehow).

There's still plenty to gain at the junior level for Morin. He's played well in these preseason games but he still could afford to go down & round out his game as well as adding more weight. He might dominate the Q physically but he hasn't dominated the Q overall yet.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
There's still plenty to gain at the junior level for Morin. He's played well in these preseason games but he still could afford to go down & round out his game as well as adding more weight. He might dominate the Q physically but he hasn't dominated the Q overall yet.

I think there could be some disappointment in how rimouski uses him. He has never been able to take over the top pp unit , and it seems like once again this may be the case this year because kostalek ( who played much more on the pp than him) is still there.

Rimouski uses him as a strictly defensive dman, while the other dman pinches and goes up ice and morin staying back at center ice .

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Is there no chance of them both being on the top unit? I see that Kostalek is a righty.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think there could be some disappointment in how rimouski uses him. He has never been able to take over the top pp unit , and it seems like once again this may be the case this year because kostalek ( who played much more on the pp than him) is still there.

Rimouski uses him as a strictly defensive dman, while the other dman pinches and goes up ice and morin staying back at center ice .

Again like I said to you the other day the personnel has changed from last year. Their blueline is deeper than it was last year. As of right now all of their defensmen are producing offensively at a good rate (Kostalek hasn't had any points thus far in two games though).

Morin also had 3 points (2G & 1A) during 4 preseason games which lead Rimouski.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Is there no chance of them both being on the top unit? I see that Kostalek is a righty.

they go with 4 forwards from what i have seen in the preseason. Joly clapperton loiseau and deluca.

They also have this simon bourque a kid who is really impressing on the 2nd unit pp.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Hampus Lindholm also played in the AHL as an 18 year old.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/2331

Well, yes but he never played in the CHL. The confusion is that typically chl eligible or controlled players are barred from playing in the AHL because their rights outside of the NHL are controlled by their junior team. Since there is no such agreement with European clubs, it wouldn't have hindered lindholm from playing in the ahl.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík

Which is precisely what I don't understand. The best way to get better is to play against better competition. This notion that players X's development was stymied by playing in the NHL too early is superstition imo. Likely, those players weren't going to cut it regardless. If the kid is ready to compete in the NHL, his game will adapt to whatever its capacity is at the NHL level. Who's really to say that his development would better take place in the AHL than the NHL? The kid is super confident and a hard worker. If he's going to be an effective NHL defenseman, he's going to become one whether he plays in the AHL first or not.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Which is precisely what I don't understand. The best way to get better is to play against better competition. This notion that players X's development was stymied by playing in the NHL too early is superstition imo. Likely, those players weren't going to cut it regardless. If the kid is ready to compete in the NHL, his game will adapt to whatever its capacity is at the NHL level. Who's really to say that his development would better take place in the AHL than the NHL? The kid is super confident and a hard worker. If he's going to be an effective NHL defenseman, he's going to become one whether he plays in the AHL first or not.

I kind of agree with this, and was thinking about it the other day.

The notion of "rushing" to the NHL is a fallacy, to me. If the kid is ready and able to keep up with the Pro game, he can do it, period.

The thing is, if 18 year olds come up and struggle later, we deem he was rushed. What about the 100's of 18 year olds that went straight to the minors and never made it to the NHL?

Perhaps - it may be that certain players can handle the NHL and certain can't. No amount of "AHL seasoning" will prepare you for that - you can either hang with NHLers after a few years or you can't.

The young players that bust in the NHL if they start there @ 18 old - there is no way to prove that they wouldn't have busted anyway had they started in the AHL.

Ghost and Morin can hang. The question, to me, in NHL vs AHL/Juniors is the role they're given.

If Morin hangs around as defensive d-man and never gets offensive opportunities, that part of his game may not develop. This is when I would say send him back and let him play in all situations. However, if indications are that he's being sent back and won't get those chances anyway, I see no point.

Better to control those situations here and work him into more offensive roles (if you wish that part of his game to improve, which we all do) since you have control while he's here; instead of watching him on the bench during the PP in juniors.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Looks like it has something do with the fact that he was "on loan" to the CHL and not actually under their control. Seems like a weird loophole.

The Stars found a loophole that most teams wouldn't even care enough to bother searching for & the IIHF (International Ice Hockey Federation) who handle all league transfers world wide sided with them. The FEL organization he was previously with before Swift Current didn't even make a stink because he wasn't property of theirs past this year, they loaned him figuring he was never coming back. It was a weird situation but hats off to the Stars if their end goal was getting Honka in the AHL.

I don't know if this will happen again but you can be sure that both NHL & CHL teams will be looking into this now when obtaining players from overseas.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Well clearly years and years of GM's believe it to be to true.

Rookies hit the wall all the time. Start out great, then slump over the longer season. And when you go from a 42 game regular season where you only play weekends to a 82 game game one, it makes a difference.

Do we know 100% that it will happen to Ghost? No. But having him under Murray's watchful eye can only help him. We all know Murray stresses defense. So why not have Ghost learn from him?

In a perfect world, he would pair with Hagg all year and they would have a fantastic chemistry and year together and push the Phantoms to the Calder Cup...with Morin and Sanheim joking them after ther seasons ended early! They Hagg and Ghost could be a pairing next year in the NHL.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I honestly think we should have done this.

Schenn/Giroux/Voracek
Read/Couts/Simmonds
Raffl/Lecavalier/Akeson
Leier/Laughton/Jones

Streit Coburn
Gostisbehere Morin
MacDonald Schenn

Grossmann Del Zotto, Rinaldo Umberger, Zepp as spares

Mason
Emery

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That's a lot of money tied up in healthy scratches.

Bellemare has played well enough to make this team.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I honestly think we should have done this.

Schenn/Giroux/Voracek
Read/Couts/Simmonds
Raffl/Lecavalier/Akeson
Leier/Laughton/Jones

Streit Coburn
Gostisbehere Morin
MacDonald Schenn

Grossmann Del Zotto, Rinaldo Umberger, Zepp as spares

Mason
Emery

???First of all, too many players on the roster. Second of all, Leier over Umberger? Come on. He looked good in preseason...but it was preseason. Umberger is in no danger of being a healthy scratch, certainly not in favor of Leier. Ghost and Morin on the second pair? While I'm not opposed to one of them making the team, there is no chance and no reason for both of them to be on the team with MDZ and Grossmann on the bench. Morin and Ghost played well, and while I can understand playing one of them over MDZ, neither really outplayed Grossmann. There is no need to start two rookies just to start two rookies. Grossmann looked fine during the preseason.

And why are we holding on to Zepp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad