Speculation: Chance of Gostisbehere to earn a spot in october?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Hello Flyers nation, just wandered how far this kid is from earning a spot with Philly? Some writers speculate that he could very well crack the line up this season? I know Timonen is injured, but isn't Morin over Gostisbehere or Petterson? Or maybe Schultz will be 6th or 7th dman? Thanks for your answers !

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Schultz is 7th dman, that's what he was brought in for.

Petterson likely isn't that close. He impressed at camp, but it was only drills. He was a late pick this year, so that's unlikely.

Morin, Hagg have the best bodies for the NHL (by far if comparing to Gostisbehere and Sanheim) and are closest physically, but Hextall has been pretty solid through by saying they aren't expecting any of the kids to start in the NHL unless they're absolutely blown away.

As a comparison of sorts, Morin had a very strong preseason last season and didn't even get the "9-game tryout"

So Ghost in October? Slim to none chance.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
The MDZ signing keeps Ghost in the AHL. Hagg and Alt probably get called up before Ghost, and, I think Hextall might sign or trade for a vet before calling up Ghost this year even if the Flyers blue line is devastated. Enjoy Ghost in Lehigh.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I like Ghost a lot but he is going to need a year in the AHL I would think. It will be good for him to learn the grind of a pro season getting a lot of minutes playing in LV.
Could he make the Flyers? sure. but I think there is a better chance he spends a full season in LV with a chance of being called up if any injuries occur.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Out of camp? Slim to none unless MDZ looks completely out of place or Mark Streit getting injured during preseason.

If one of Grossmann, Coburn, L.Schenn are out for a while, I assume Hägg or even Alt would be the go-to guy.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If MDZ gets injured and Ghost has an incredibly good camp then he could make the team in October.

So I'd say a 1% chance.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Unless an injury occurs or someone gets dealt, Ghost is in the AHL to start the season. He'd likely be the first callup, assuming he is playing well in in the AHL.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If he outplays someone then he could make it, but if he's even or looks like he could really use time in the AHL that's where he'll be. They're going to be careful with him, but they're not going to send him to the AHL if he looks like he belongs on the Flyers and can help the team win.

So the safe bet would be saying he's going to the AHL, but it's not as unlikely that he makes the team as some people think.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
If he plays great in preseason, he has a 40% chance. Even if he is pretty much ready. Hextall seems pretty committed to long developmental periods. Otherwise, he should start in the AHL and possibly be called up relatively soon if injuries start to take place.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Doubt it. Unless he looks like a star in preseason. Right now I assume Alt/Hagg would be the first two call-ups in case of an injury.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
If he plays great in preseason, he has a 40% chance. Even if he is pretty much ready. Hextall seems pretty committed to long developmental periods. Otherwise, he should start in the AHL and possibly be called up relatively soon if injuries start to take place.

I think really depends on the definition of "great". Are we talking "best Flyers defenseman" or "much better than would be expected of a rookie". If the former, it would be extremely hard to send him down. If the latter, I think they could easily justify the conditioning of more frequent games as a good reason to send him down for a few months until his play, someone else's play, or an injury open the door.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
saupload_lloyd-300x300.jpg

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
He'll need to look like the best defenseman at camp, imo. Just looking like he can hang in the NHL won't be good enough. The NHL grind would eventually wear him down. He'd be jumping two levels of competition while also tacking on another 35+ more games than he's ever played in a season.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
He'll need to look like the best defenseman at camp, imo. Just looking like he can hang in the NHL won't be good enough. The NHL grind would eventually wear him down. He'd be jumping two levels of competition while also tacking on another 35+ more games than he's ever played in a season.

Completely agree, but no one doubts his talent. Its the physical demand of a defenseman that worries people. Once he is physically mature enough (whenever that happens) hes a top 4 D man. We all saw the Union game, the kid was on another level and far outperformed anyone on both teams. Hes a top 10 draft pick that went under the radar.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
Completely agree, but no one doubts his talent. Its the physical demand of a defenseman that worries people. Once he is physically mature enough (whenever that happens) hes a top 4 D man. We all saw the Union game, the kid was on another level and far outperformed anyone on both teams. Hes a top 10 draft pick that went under the radar.

Exactly, and letting him dominate the AHL for a year will be great for his development. He has a lot to gain playing with the phantoms, but a lot could go wrong if he jumps straight into the big club and gets hurt or just embarrassed.

No need to rush a quality prospect.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

This remains to be seen. He has to prove he can do it against teams of men, first in the AHL and then the NHL. I think he will, but he's very small and if he can't translate his speed and sense into points, he could still end up in Europe.

Zero chance he starts as a Flyer, but I think he'll have a good chance at a starting role next year.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Hes a top 10 draft pick that went under the radar

Funny you bring this up. Looking at the 2011 draft (his true class), I would probably put him top 15 in a re-draft. The top 10 would pretty much be the same. The only debatable one would be Larsson. I don't know what to make of him. This is the guy I was hoping we could snag on draft day too. He's still young and has time to turn it around, but he just doesn't seem to have "it".

Only defensemen I would take over Gostisbehere would be Hamilton and Brodin. He's better than Siemens, better than Murphy. Beaulieu is a similar player, but I'm still taking Gostisbehere. Oleksiak is a wildcard, but Gostisbehere's skill wins out for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad