Speculation: Chance of Gostisbehere to earn a spot in october?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I don't think anyone will claim Schultz.

Wouldn't surprise me one way or another. If he goes unclaimed, I think he'd get the callup to be #7 after Morin leaves, unless MDZ has been so bad that we need a #6. At which point I think Ghost would get it. That is all under the assumption that Morin gets that 10 gamer to start.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Gostisbehere doesn't seem to have the same chemistry issues as MDZ, despite the fact that he never played with Morin before the prospect game. MDZ should be worried about his spot. Ghost has looked much, much better in the same type of role.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN 5m5 minutes ago
RT @Itsreallyreigle: @tpanotchCSN odds ghost makes the squad?//Hextall committed to development. Minors

who knows, he's probably just bull******** like normal

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
who knows, he's probably just bull******** like normal

Hextall has been pretty transparent about his plan for the future of the Flyers. I think he's gonna be patient like he has said. He doesn't have a track record for bulls'ing like Homer does.

Unless you're talking about Pinocchio

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
Hextall has been pretty transparent about his plan for the future of the Flyers. I think he's gonna be patient like he has said. He doesn't have a track record for bulls'ing like Homer does.

Pinocchio is always lying, but I really do think fans are underestimating Ghosts defensive weaknesses. Management doesn't want him getting exposed by the super stars.. Crosby Malkin Tavares etc. Would eat him alive (they eat pretty much everyone) and a young guy doesn't need that for his confidence.
Defensemen progress much slower than forwards, but they also peak later, hexy knows this and sees no reason to rush him.

I think if he was on the team, we'd be better this year, no doubt. But I don't think that's best for his development, and that should be our top priority. He really can be an all star defenseman, he's shown all the makings, let's let him tackle one league at a time and be patient.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Doesn't sound like that was a quote from Hextall. It sounds like TimmyP saying Hextall will be committed to development, not that Hextall has made any decisions. Also, I'm pretty sure the decision is Berube's regarding who makes the team, or at least it is mainly his decision. If Berube wants him there over someone else, I'd be shocked if Hextall said no. Just like if Hextall wanted him there but Berube didn't, I'd be surprised if he was there.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Pinocchio is always lying, but I really do think fans are underestimating Ghosts defensive weaknesses. Management doesn't want him getting exposed by the super stars.. Crosby Malkin Tavares etc. Would eat him alive (they eat pretty much everyone) and a young guy doesn't need that for his confidence.
Defensemen progress much slower than forwards, but they also peak later, hexy knows this and sees no reason to rush him.

I think if he was on the team, we'd be better this year, no doubt. But I don't think that's best for his development, and that should be our top priority. He really can be an all star defenseman, he's shown all the makings, let's let him tackle one league at a time and be patient.

Ghost definitely has shown some pretty glaring weaknesses back on D...mostly I've noticed him getting muscled and a few overcommitments. He compensates well though b/c of his skating/skill. However, to me MDZ has looked much shakier and Ghost brings more on the transition and point. I still would rather have Ghost start in the minors to round out his game but MDZ, Schultz and injuries might necessitate him being in the lineup more than some of us think is prudent...

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
Ghost definitely has shown some pretty glaring weaknesses back on D...mostly I've noticed him getting muscled and a few overcommitments. He compensates well though b/c of his skating/skill. However, to me MDZ has looked much shakier and Ghost brings more on the transition and point. I still would rather have Ghost start in the minors to round out his game but MDZ, Schultz and injuries might necessitate him being in the lineup more than some of us think is prudent...

Injuries would definitely change things, but I don't want to jerk ghost back and forth between clubs too much. Ideally he could develop some chemistry with Hagg, alt, or pitbull this year.

Like I said, he's better than our bottom pairing guys already. His ceiling is an all star, so outperforming MDZ is not the final test. He needs to round out his game with loads of playing time (top PP), confidence, and defensive match ups that challenge him (but don't overwhelm him).

If he wins mvp of the AHL, just like Lindbergh did, would anyone on here be upset?

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I condone the notion of developing guys as much as possible, and giving them stability by easing them along slowly while they hone their games and make sure they're ready for the NHL, but when you have an already subpar blue line, and ghost has been playing like he could already be one of the most valuable pieces on the back-end for us, you have to wonder whether it's the best course of action to have him anywhere but the NHL roster. Some players develop better when thrust into that position, and I think ghost has the confidence and the work ethic to be that type of player.

No, being in LHV won't hurt him, but If he can be s legitimate upgrade at the NHL level, he should be here. The process shouldnt be so formulaic

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
0 percent chance

What is crazy is that Morin is still there. I really don't know what they are going to do with him.

The more I think about it the more i want him in the nhl this year.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
0 percent chance

What is crazy is that Morin is still there. I really don't know what they are going to do with him.

The more I think about it the more i want him in the nhl this year.

This is what I think will happen now Ghost is in LHV.

I don't think Ghost starts the season on the Flyers. But I can see them waiving Schultz to allow Morin to be here in October, playing in 9 games or less, then getting sent back to Junior for the rest of the season.

Then when Morin leaves they could bring up Ghost to replace MDZ on the third pairing (assuming he hasn't been good) and MDZ becomes our 7th defensman instead of Schultz.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Well... This post sounded like everyone else on the Flyers was at fault for that goal except MDZ.

Come on. It is only preseason, and he does need chemistry but this is also a player that hasnt play well the past 2 years on 2 different teams. It's not like he is some great player that is struggling. He has alot to prove and he will get a short leash on it.

Just couturier and b schenn. His leash needs to be longer then 3 or 4 games in preseason. Thankfully management will leave it longer then that

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Not real surprised about Ghost. Surprised (and disappointed) about Laughton. I didn't necessarily think he looked great but I thought this was his year.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I'll trust management on this one, but I really hope Ghost is up full time this season. I don't think he needs to do that much developing, and I think MDZ and Shultz are going to be a giant liability this season

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Maybe they're thinking of giving him a trial?

That's my guess. I don't see it though. He's looked good enough to be an NHL player, but I think he, more than Ghost, would benefit from more time. The problem is, I think Morin is too good for CHL but he is too young to go to the AHL (although the Stars just sent Julius Honka to the AHL somehow).

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
That's my guess. I don't see it though. He's looked good enough to be an NHL player, but I think he, more than Ghost, would benefit from more time. The problem is, I think Morin is too good for CHL but he is too young to go to the AHL (although the Stars just sent Julius Honka to the AHL somehow).

Yeah, I thought that could only happen if the player had played in Europe rather than the CHL. It might have something to do with the fact that he only played 1 chl season, and played in Finland prior to that?

RJ8812*

not surprised. But I expect Ghost back up by December, especially if Del Zotto struggles

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I like it. He needs to work on his defensive side of his game and adjusting to the fact that some of the stuff he did in college isn't going to work in the bigs, the AHL gives him a platform to refine his game without being rushed.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Yeah, for as good as Ghost looked this preseason, you could still see that there are some areas of his game that he's going to need to figure out. The good news is, he looks like he adjusts very, very, fast. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he's on the big club by the midway point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad