GWT: Champions League Semifinals

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Yeah no idea why people would knock him given all the silverware Chelsea won directly thanks to him.

Basically nobody does. We all love him to pieces, knowing that he stayed with us for WAY longer than he needed to because he genuinely loved the club.

If there had been fans in the stadium tonight, he woulda gotten a standing ovation, no question

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He was nominated for the Ballon d'Or in 2017 and 2018. 2017 for his league performances, 2018 for his World Cup performance I suspect. So obviously league performance does play a factor. Ronaldo and Messi have both won it in years even when their club didn't do well in continental competitions or their country didn't win anything internationally. It's an award for a player's performance over an entire year in all competitions.
Ronaldo and Messi are always top 3 so that's no argument.
For Kante to win it, he's had to dominate the CL and Euro. Chelsea not being top 3 in the EPL is hurting him more than anything.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Basically nobody does. We all love him to pieces, knowing that he stayed with us for WAY longer than he needed to because he genuinely loved the club.

If there had been fans in the stadium tonight, he woulda gotten a standing ovation, no question
A page back is written the contrary.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
It's going to be tough, but we've beat them already this year and can do it again.
Huge differences in pressure to win. There’s no expectations for Chelsea to win. Were not seen as favourites in 3/4 knockout rounds and haven’t had 1/10th of the time with their coach unlike City.

If chelsea lose, it’s palatable because we are building still. If city lose after trying so hard to get to this stage, it’s a huge failure.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I have no ill will towards Hazard and certainly never said "f*** him" when he left. The circumstances here are funny though, and hardly the only player it has happened to.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Good to see Mahrez and Kante meeting in the final. One is adorable, the other one is a bit of an asshole, but still what a great story.
When they were 18 and 19, they were playing in PH (amateur departemental level) with Suresnes and Sarcelles.

Reactions: luiginb

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Huge differences in pressure to win. There’s no expectations for Chelsea to win. Were not seen as favourites in 3/4 knockout rounds and haven’t had 1/10th of the time with their coach unlike City.

If chelsea lose, it’s palatable because we are building still. If city lose after trying so hard to get to this stage, it’s a huge failure.
True, the pressure is all on Pep and City to come away with a win here. Especially when facing a weaker club in their own league, the pressure is all on them to control the game against a weaker side.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I can't say I rated Mahrez much with Le Havre. Was to me a dribbler with not much else in his bag. Attitude wasn't great either.
I rated Kante from the start when I saw him. I told you guys about him years ago now.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
True, the pressure is all on Pep and City to come away with a win here. Especially when facing a weaker club in their own league, the pressure is all on them to control the game against a weaker side.
PRessure makes diamonds. THey're gonna win imo

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I can't say I rated Mahrez much with Le Havre. Was to me a dribbler with not much else in his bag. Attitude wasn't great either.
I rated Kante from the start when I saw him. I told you guys about him years ago now.
IDK his coach and teammates in e Havre seems to have high praise for Mahrez tbh
But hey I wasn't there lol

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah I've always thought Kante was an asshole tbh
Mahrez IS a bit of an asshole.
I could give you tons of examples but I'll give you one that happenned just last week :
Gueye kills Gundogan ankle and everyone goes towards the ref. Mahrez sprints and vehemently barks at Gueye.
Gueye answers : I know I made a foul it's OK, I know I did. Mahrez continues to bark and asks the ref for a red card, that he saw it all, etc... Bakker comes in and says "you can't have seen anything from where you were". Mahrez looks at him and says "who the f*** is this guy anyway? Does he even have a name?".
That's obviously not a big deal, but a good way of seeing Mahrez' character. At Bakker's age, he couldn't break Le Havre's first XI in Ligue 2. Bakker was starting a CL semi final (and he totally stifled him in fact).
He's not a very respectful guy.
Kante is arguably the nicest guy in football.

Reactions: luiginb

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

"Best midfield in Europe" is not accurate though, that is a massive stretch.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I should also note, Benzema was invisible today. A lot of that is down to Kante and Jorginho dominating the midfield battle and Silva also putting in a clinic at the back, but Benzema truly was a non factor for the most part

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
No doubt on that lmao. A few seasons ago? Sure. But they've aged A LOT and their age was very apparent in this tie
Yea Modric used to be the motor of his team with the ball like Kante is defensively, but age has caught up to him and he's much slower than he used to be. Kroos has never been quick and his passing range is still great, but having to cover more ground is not helping him. Casemiro was isolated and bypassed constantly all game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad