Man City x PSG

Wednesday 5 May

Chelsea x Real Madrid

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Fun fact:

this is the first time in Champions League history that all four teams have have either a fine and/or transfer ban related to FFP

FFP = LOL

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Going with Manchester City vs. Real Madrid in the final, and #14 for Real once they get there. Something about them this season has been mesmerizing. They have seven losses this season across all competitions. Those losses?

0-1 vs. Cádiz (12th in La Liga)
4-1 vs. Valencia (13th)
1-2 vs. Alavés (19th)
1-2 vs. Levante (9th)

2-3 vs. Shakhtar
2-0 vs. Shakhtar

2-1 vs. Alcoyano (5th place in Segunda División B)

2-1 vs. Athletic Club (11th) in the Spanish Super Cup

Except for Levante, all those losses came either to an unheralded CL side, or lower half teams in Spain. The majority of them at home as well, though of course that doesn't mean as much this year as it would in a normal year (even more in a season where Real is playing away from the Bernabéu). But when they've played marquee teams?

1-3 and 2-1 vs. Barcelona
2-0 and 1-1 vs. Atletico
1-0 vs. Sevilla
3-2 and 0-2 vs. Inter
0-1 and 3-1 vs. Atalanta
2-0 and 0-0 vs. Liverpool

You can even throw in the win over Gladbach on the final Match Day of the group stage, as it was a must win game for them. Across their biggest games or biggest opponents, they are 9-2-0 this season. f***ing incredible. How do you bet against that? I can't. They're besieged by injuries and continue to churn out wins against tough opponents. The mental fortitude of that team is second to nobody. They've found their way this far. I'm not expecting them to go home now.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Pep is gonna try and play 8D chess to deal with Neymar and Mbappe and it's gonna backfire, IMO.
Exactly my thoughts. If Lyon's midfield gave him some nightmares (and in some ways, produced the loss), imagine dealing with the giant 2.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
I just want Christian Pulisic to win trophies in Europe. C'mon double - Champions League & FA Cup titles for Chelsea, please! [Well, actually, for CP10, since I don't care about Chelsea].

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Alright folks, it's frickin game day. And this Chelsea team has what it takes to beat anyone - we saw that last week against City. I'm actually feeling pretty good about our chances, I think it's gonna be a tight and cagey tie. Admittedly, I'd be more confident if we had Kovacic fit, who I think is a better fit for this match-up in midfield against Kroos and Modric than Jorginho is. But so it goes. Think the lineup looks like this:

Havertz
Mount - Ziyech
Chilwell - Kante - Jorginho - James
Rudiger - Silva - Azpi
Mendy

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Alright folks, it's frickin game day. And this Chelsea team has what it takes to beat anyone - we saw that last week against City. I'm actually feeling pretty good about our chances, I think it's gonna be a tight and cagey tie. Admittedly, I'd be more confident if we had Kovacic fit, who I think is a better fit for this match-up in midfield against Kroos and Modric than Jorginho is. But so it goes. Think the lineup looks like this:

Havertz
Mount - Ziyech
Chilwell - Kante - Jorginho - James
Rudiger - Silva - Azpi
Mendy
Probably a pretty good guess for the lineup, I wouldn't be surprised if that is it.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Madrid could go through based on experience alone but their recent form does leave a lot to be desire. Still should get the job done here.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Only one I'm unsure about is Ziyech. Could be Werner, Puli, or CHO if he thinks that we're probably not gonna have control of the midfield and will be looking to break instead.
With the players we have up front we should be playing to break the back line every game, but we rarely do. :laugh:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That's the problem

IMHO he should just stick with his winning lineup, they have a good momentum right now
If he comes out with a weird lineup on Wednesday he'S gonna f*** their chemistry up
Frankly, if Marquinhos really is back and PSG defends like they have in the CL, I can't see City winning this matchup. That City D against Mbappe and Neymar? Ouch.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Im really worried Chelsea could do well against Real Madrid tonight. Real Madrid lack goals in the team and runners in behind (apart from Vinicius). That could be a problem against a stable 3 at the back which is incredibly compact out of possession, doubt they can pounce on mistakes because Chelsea barely make errors playing out from the back. Chelsea (in classic Chelsea fashion) will suppress attacks from both sides and make it a boring game reliant on small margins.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Imagine Perez winning the CL in front of Ceferin and UEFA?
Would be good if Perez wasn't even worse. All against Madrid.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Frankly, if Marquinhos really is back and PSG defends like they have in the CL, I can't see City winning this matchup. That City D against Mbappe and Neymar? Ouch.
I agree, PSG's defense when healthy is far superior

City better keep that possession 99% of the time lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad