Euro: Champions League Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Would any other LFC people not really be upset with Barcelona 2-1 Liverpool today?
I would be upset, but only because I hate when Liverpool lose. It's not a terrible scoreline to take back home, but right now anything but a win or draw would suck.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This Ajax team would give Arsenal a hiding. Spurs were very competitive even with a depleted line-up.
I don't disagree with that, I am really pulling for this Ajax squad and it seems that they're a well balanced team of some bite in their game and some great chemistry. Don't think Arsenal would be able to beat them in the shape we're in now.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
WQi1OIIG

Keita starts on the left. Called it.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Same 4-3-3, Keita will just take Mane's spot while Mane plays the middle.
Interesting. I like Keita dribbling at people but haven't seen him in many dead sprints so don't know that he's overly pacy. Then again, who's overly pacy compared to Mane and Salah?

Mane is playing like a centre forward these days with all those headed goals.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I think the 'don't celebrate against your old club' thing is silly. He's a passionate player. If he scores a great goal, in a Semi-final, it's a big moment in his career. If he wants to run around and towards his teammates / supporters and pistolero it up, good. He should. He's not rubbing it in Liverpool's face. He was probably one of the most talented players to ever lace them up for Liverpool, and while bonkers, he helped drag a pretty rubbish Liverpool side to further than it had before. He's done right by Liverpool, even if he did kind of make a stink to go.

I just think that if it's a big moment, he should be happy. He's not insulting Liverpool by being happy to score a big goal that he probably will remember for the rest of his life.

I mean, even Coutinho, if he scores a worldie, should celebrate it. I don't blame booing him, because how he did leave was a touch different, but honestly, Liverpool are in a much different state than they were before he left. His leaving made it possible to go out and get some of the talent they've gotten. If it's his dream move, fine. Rather have had him stay till the end of the season, but they got where they got with him or without him.

The players career is too short and could be over too soon to really hold much resentment or anger over someone celebrating scoring against someone. It's a magical moment to score a goal, and to do it in the Semis of the CL should be something they tell their kid's kids about. I would hate for them to have to consciously then turn around and hold up the hand and say, no, no, I won't celebrate it when they should be enjoying it. I mean, you don't have to stick it to the old club (unless they did you wrong, and neither of them should have that feeling) but there's a middle ground.

People celebrating scoring against their former club never used to be an issue until the last 20 years or so.

It's ironic such a fuss is made about it in an era where the self-interestedness of both players and clubs has never been so minutely chronicled, where so many fans are as consistent in their statements as a politician on the campaign trail while dishing out abuse and 'banter' by the tonne.

Reactions: Evilo and Chimaera

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The difference between Raul and Alba is that Raul joined Atleti's youth setup at 13, something you probably didn't even know, and as you noted left at 15. That's two years. So I wouldn't equate 2 years at that stage the same as a player who spent nearly 7 years and thus nearly half their life and surely half of their organized football life. In fact I'd call that a big difference.

And Busquets joined Barcelona at 17, so exactly which ages or years are decisive here? It seems to me that your definitions are tailor-made for Barca.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Lucky that Firmino’s not fit, and Dembele still needs to find his groove since he’s come back from injury, most likely will be brought in later on in the game. Coutinho’s done well in recent games IMO

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Would any other LFC people not really be upset with Barcelona 2-1 Liverpool today?

Depends on how they look and whether or not they come out relatively healthy.

If it's an under-siege, LFC look like crap, but somehow stole an away goal, I would be a bit upset.

But a close match where LFC has good play in it, I would be ok.

That said, I'm hoping out for a 1-1.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Hopefully Keita's poor form in that position in the start of the season was more related to his not settling than his lack of fit in that situation.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I shouldn't have turned on this pregame show, didn't realize they would be showing that piece of shit Ramos injure Salah on purpose. Haven't gotten over that.

Reactions: Machinehead

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Yea, but I give TNT/BR credit for leading the charge in not needing to wear suits to talk about sports

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Love to see how Van Dijk vs Messi plays out. Quick, agile forwards like Messi are usually big CB's worst nightmare.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Love to see how Van Dijk vs Messi plays out. Quick, agile forwards like Messi are usually big CB's worst nightmare.
CBs who can't be dribbled past are usually a nightmare for forwards who like to dribble past CBs.

Unstoppable force vs. immovable object. Should be great.

Reactions: Ajacied

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think van Dijk's style of play is the big issue for forwards who like to dribble, because he plays high up but he's extremely patient so he doesn't over-commit himself until he's basically certain he'll get the ball. The thing is he's just as happy to just block a path to the net and force the player to make a different move than to go through him; he doesn't need to win the ball. With today's structure and the amount of running players can do it more than gives enough time for the rest of the team to block off most dangerous avenues and force a mistake or recycling of the ball. He's such an incredible defender.

Reactions: Ajacied

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
And Busquets joined Barcelona at 17, so exactly which ages or years are decisive here? It seems to me that your definitions are tailor-made for Barca.

I already very clearly covered Busquets. And it's not surprisingly hypocritical coming from you that you'd make the laughable "tailor-made" comment since from the beginning you've made multiple false statements, have contradicted yourself and have repeatedly moved the goalposts. And to your answer your question, something you've been entirely incapable of doing in kind, it's a grey area that should be considered on a case-by-case basis, something you've again demonstrated you're incapable of doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad