Euro: Champions League Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
LFC given an extra day of rest while barca also had a midweek game. Just to add to the exaggerated notion that EPL teams are more worked than non EPL teams.

Reactions: les Habs

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Id really like Gomez to be able to start both matches.
I think Gomez will get minutes, but I think Klopp is going to ride the back line that got him there; rightfully or wrongfully.

I am also retired from criticizing Klopp’s lineup selection

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
All games are... just making a point that this narrative that EPL teams are exhausted while non EPL teams are fresh is ludicrous.
That notion doesn't necessarily have anything to do with scheduling. Barca are 9 points clear and don't need their La Liga games.

By all means, show me where I'm wrong, but the only complaints I've seen specifically about scheduling are about the shit Eredivisie pulled.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I always thought the complaint was that the EPL didn't have a winter break.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That notion doesn't necessarily have anything to do with scheduling. Barca are 9 points clear and don't need their La Liga games.

By all means, show me where I'm wrong, but the only complaints I've seen specifically about scheduling are about the **** Eredivisie pulled.

It's the argument that EPL are playing too many games and not having a break. Barca finished yesterday prior to that they needed the points as much as any other team to win the league.

I always thought the complaint was that the EPL didn't have a winter break.

Yes.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's the argument that EPL are playing too many games and not having a break. Barca finished yesterday prior to that they needed the points as much as any other team to win the league.

Did they, though? They would still be six points clear if they lost yesterday.

City and Liverpool have essentially been playing game 7's for two months.

Granted, it doesn't matter for the first leg, because the Huddersfield match was a glorified friendly.

I'm concerned about the second leg two days after the Newcastle match which will be about our 8th game with the season on the line.

But that's football, and it's nobody's fault. And besides, Klopp seems to prefer a sharp team to a rested team, otherwise he would have fielded a much thinner squad against Huddersfield.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Did they, though? They would still be six points clear if they lost yesterday.

City and Liverpool have essentially been playing game 7's for two months.

Granted, it doesn't matter for the first leg, because the Huddersfield match was a glorified friendly.

I'm concerned about the second leg two days after the Newcastle match which will be about our 8th game with the season on the line.

But that's football, and it's nobody's fault. And besides, Klopp seems to prefer a sharp team to a rested team, otherwise he would have fielded a much thinner squad against Huddersfield.

They still needed a win so, now they could not give teams freebies. Last game was just one example. Barca will be coming in with more games played than their EPL counterparts since the last time a CL game was played. So, this better rested nonsense is a poor argument.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They still needed a win so, now they could not give teams freebies. Last game was just one example. Barca will be coming in with more games played than their EPL counterparts since the last time a CL game was played. So, this better rested nonsense is a poor argument.
It's not a poor argument. It's not even an argument. Barcelona are the more rested team.

You can't make an apples to apples comparison based on the number of games played. Liverpool have played about eight or so games where the situation was clearly "win or your title race is over." Barcelona have played zero such games and will end the campaign having played zero such games.

I'm not stating that as an excuse, I'm stating it as a matter of fact.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It's not a poor argument. It's not even an argument. Barcelona are the more rested team.

You can't make an apples to apples comparison based on the number of games played. Liverpool have played about eight or so games where the situation was clearly "win or your title race is over." Barcelona have played zero such games and will end the campaign having played zero such games.

I'm not stating that as an excuse, I'm stating it as a matter of fact.

The players are still playing the games no matter what cushion they have. So, no its definitely a poor argument.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
What's "lol" about it?

One team is in the most absurd title race in the history of Europe and the other essentially has no competition with Real having an off year.

And you're telling me the latter has had a tougher schedule.

Who said anything about tougher schedule? I merely stated the amount of games both teams are playing in the lead up to this game.

BTW Real have one more league title than Atelti in the past decade so, they are just as much a threat as Real.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Who said anything about tougher schedule? I merely stated the amount of games both teams are playing in the lead up to this game.

BTW Real have one more league title than Atelti in the past decade so, they are just as much a threat as Real.
And I'm merely stating that not every game is the same.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Both teams need the points to win their league so? Its not as if La liga is in preseason. Although I'm sure when you compare it to EPL its basically preseason.

Yes, both teams need points.

9 points ahead and 1 point back are not even the same planet. Especially when the team you're behind wins literally every game.

Your post reeks of La Liga centrism if you're trying to tell me they are.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yes, both teams need points.

9 points ahead and 1 point back are not even the same planet. Especially when the team you're behind wins literally every game.

Your post reeks of La Liga centrism if you're trying to tell me they are.
If they literally win every game then what's the point of trying lol?

Not really since I actually watch EPL games.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
How is that even a discussion?

Bundesliga: 18 teams - so fewer games. How can anyone argue otherwise?
La Liga: One cup competition - so fewer games. How can anyone argue otherwise?

The difference isn't massive, but yes - English teams play more games.

As for the SFs. The Spurs team field tomorrow will be hilarious. Can only pray they can hang on and get Winks fit for the return leg.

Lloris
Trippier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose
Dier - Wanyama
Lucas - Eriksen - Alli
Llorente

If Dier can't play then Sanchez or Foyth will come in and it will be a 3-5-2 with Eriksen and Alli alongside Wanyama. Might actually be more realistic.

Bench: Empty. Our most dangerous player to come in from the bench would be Foyth :D (I love Foyth, but he is mostly a defender these days).

The team starting could even be worse than that - considering both Dier and Wanyama have just returned from injury. Not sure if Dier is ready for another game. Not sure if Winks is ruled out completely - oh how we need him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad