GWT: Champions League Semifinals.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well done Madrid, game was never in doubt.
Hopefully Monaco kicks their ass in the final :D

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Ronaldo is a ****ing machine maybe some record to score this much goals in last three quarterfinals?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Atletico completely lacking midfield today.

Yeah, they got bossed around by Modric, Casemiro and Kroos.
Isco was causing issues dropping in between the lines, but other than 2 or 3 nice moves, had some turnovers and wasn't nearly the dominant force he is in "Real B".
They fixed that in the second half, Isco stopped dropping in low and Modric and Kroos went in more to the center at the start of their build up (Kroos was amazing on passes there, never panics, always the right pass).

Ronaldo's best game in a while. Not just 3 goals, 2 of them which required insane anticipation, but he linked up well and was a factor in the build up play.

A guy who probably won't get mentioned, but should... Varane was IMMENSE.
Saved Real's arse a couple of times in the first half and allowed them to play the game out in the way they did.

Atletico was... Disappointing.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
A guy who probably won't get mentioned, but should... Varane was IMMENSE.
Saved Real's arse a couple of times in the first half and allowed them to play the game out in the way they did.

Ruled the airs too.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Damn that was disappointing. Though considering there are 10 Real supporters in the world for every 1 Atletico Madrid supporter I'm sure I'm in the minority.

No way Monaco could possibly beat Real in the Final, so definitely cheering for Juve now as they're the only hope of stopping the two-headed monster of Real/Barca from winning the CL again.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Ronaldo somewhat reinventing himself has really been a boon for him. I wonder at times if it always benefits Madrid, but it sounds like it certainly did today. He is an excellent finisher and is really good at putting himself in scoring positions. His second goal, which was a top drawer finish, and his third, where he put himself in an excellent position (Gabi giving up on the play didn't help though), demonstrate that. However the fan club need to get real. He absolutely benefited from a lucky bounce on the second goal (not his fault, but still happened) and there was no anticipation about them.

Not at all surprised by the result. Atleti bending over for Madrid has happened far too often and it sounds as though they weren't too focused on scoring. And should Isco have been sent off? If so not a surprise there either.

Only question now is who will Madrid beat in the Final.

Damn that was disappointing. Though considering there are 10 Real supporters in the world for every 1 Atletico Madrid supporter I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Pegged you as an Arsenal supporter.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If Monaco somehow beats Juve (worst possible draw for them), they definately have something to do against Real.
Of course, lack of experience will hurt, but their style fits well against Real's.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
If Monaco somehow beats Juve (worst possible draw for them), they definately have something to do against Real.
Of course, lack of experience will hurt, but their style fits well against Real's.
Agreed.Monaco beat a Dortmund team that was very good against Real.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I was thinking about this before the game, but I feel like Simeone should probably leave after this season or it's all going to end in tears. Results at all costs football only satisfies people as long as it works, and there's some sure signs that the style is wearing on the players as well as getting less results. All the credit to him for making the team a winner while playing that style, but there's a clear difference between what the team was and what it is now. The most obvious is a lack of control in midfield and the team now being extremely heavily reliant on one player (who probably won't be there). Gameiro is a good player and he's scored some goals, but the team as a whole and especially up front is nowhere near as physical as it used to be. Results oriented grafting football only lasts for so long without some big player turnover.

A collapse is probably coming next season whether or not they keep Griezmann.

And should Isco have been sent off? If so not a surprise there either.

I thought so at first, but on his tackle that didn't receive yellow it looked like his thigh muscle only made a very small contact. His cleats completely missed the player. He was fortunate as it was a pretty stupid tackle.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
A collapse is probably coming next season whether or not they keep Griezmann.

I thought so at first, but on his tackle that didn't receive yellow it looked like his thigh muscle only made a very small contact. His cleats completely missed the player. He was fortunate as it was a pretty stupid tackle.

I think the collapse only comes after Simeone leaves. Greiz would be missed, but somehow they'd make due, like replacing Costa with Mandzukic and then letting him go and pushing Griez forward.
But if Simeone leaves, the whole newfound Atleti-top team culture might crumble.

As for the Isco challenge... Pretty much what you said, stupid challenge, but not even remotely a yellow card offense.

It was a complete performance from Real. Yes, Ronaldo will get all the glory (he was genuinely excellent, even without the goals, as opposed to horrible vs Barca), but Real's midfield completely bossed the game.
Varane was fantastic at the back end (amazing how fast he's back to good form after the injury issues), and Nacho was great when he came on (he hasn't played RB at all this season, either CB or LB, but Danilo wasn't on the bench).
Modric was great and controlled the play, and Kroos was picture perfect on all his passes - he was amazing.
Isco was the one guy who had an iffy game, and - surprisingly - Carvajal. He had a great run when he nearly scored off the build up with Modric and Isco, but he lost the ball about 4-5 times in his own half due to some really iffy decision making.

All in all, 3-0 is a fair result. Atletico failed to generate anything, failed to generate the turnovers they usually get vs other teams, and when they had a sniff of a chance, Varance, Ramos, Nacho and Navas quickly killed it.
On the other end, Real controlled the play and looked dangerous for the entire game (their only drop in play was in the first half from about minute 30 to the end of the half).

Last edited:

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
This Real Madrid group should be getting more love than it has. Potentially winning back to back CL's and 3 in 4 years is pretty incredible, regardless of how the finals played out.

Marcelo-Varane-Ramos-Carvajl

Particularly, just is :amazed:. I don't see how Juventus can stop them. I went into the 2014-2015 CL final thinking the same thing about the Neymar-Suarez-Messi trio, and Juventus surprised by making it a game. But that Barcelona team had flaws in the back.

This Madrid team is bulletproof.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
This Real Madrid group should be getting more love than it has. Potentially winning back to back CL's and 3 in 4 years is pretty incredible, regardless of how the finals played out.

Marcelo-Varane-Ramos-Carvajl

Particularly, just is :amazed:. I don't see how Juventus can stop them. I went into the 2014-2015 CL final thinking the same thing about the Neymar-Suarez-Messi trio, and Juventus surprised by making it a game. But that Barcelona team had flaws in the back.

This Madrid team is bulletproof.

Imagine if we had a coach who knew how to organize a defense :nod:

Ramos is great, but he prone to defensive lapses, same for Marcelo. When on, Varane is a beast... but he is always hurt.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Bakayoko went from doubtful to likely against Juve tonight. He has a fractured nose.

Big question mark is RB. Sidibé is still out from his surgery and Touré has missed some training sessions with sickness. Nabil Dirar (RW) could start at RB.

Wouldn't it be amazing for Monaco to lineup 5 forwards tonight? :amazed:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1