GWT: Champions League Semifinals.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I think everyone likes Monaco, though I like Buffon more.

I can't say I'd mind if Real defended the title or Atletico finally got their title either.

All I want is quality football, and I'm sure any of the 4 teams will be a worthy winner.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Real Madrid will take this once again. Juventus has excellent defense but Real Madrid has C.Ronaldo. Just saying.. :)

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
RM boring. AM boring. Juventus = semi-boring. Monaco = exciting.

Don't really understand how a team like RM with so many great offensive players can be that boring to watch.

Juventus - Monaco would be the best final for me. Then hopefully in the end the Italians will win. Unfortunately I would be shocked if Monaco are able to get through the semi's though. Can't see them beating any of the three others without a lot of luck.

Juventus - RM would be a good final as well. Any final with AM in it would be ZZZZZZ - unfortunately because I have nothing but respect for that team and what they have achieved in terms of results.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Don't really understand how a team like RM with so many great offensive players can be that boring to watch.

Well, for starters, they simply don't do dribbling and take-ons.
Marcelo and Isco, sometimes Carvajal. Modric from time to time.
But their entire game plan is built around quick passing and running into empty pockets of space, 2/3 of the BBC (or whoever plays in their place) moving into the middle, the other guy of the three working on the wing with the fullback and one of Modric/Kroos, and making crosses or moving on the ground into the middle.

I can see why someone would find it boring, but to me, it's fascinating to watch their off-ball movement and the amount of fantastic passes they place right into the running lanes etc.

You won't get a Messi or Neymar dribbling through 4 people, you won't get mad possession football - they're simply not about that.
And their game is prone to defensive breakdowns, especially if Casemiro isn't on the pitch - but they're a great team, with a world class player at every position, and they've scoring and winning games.

Monaco plays a more attacking style, they're young and fearless, it's hard not to root for them.

Juve has a certain appeal to it, though admittedly, there's no more boring side to watch if they get ahead. 1-0, 2-0 and they just drop Mandzu and Cuadrado down low entirely, and they have the worst counterattacking in the known universe. Or rather, they're almost uninterested in it.

Atletico, to me, is more boring than Juve, at least Juve plays more offensively until they score.
At the same time, Griezmann is absolutely fantastic, I think he's still massively underrated just because his numbers aren't ridiculous - but if/when he moves on to a more offensive side, I expect a lot of people will be surprised.
Also, it may be unfair to Atleti, but I just don't have a guy like Buffon there that I can root for to get that Cup finally.

Buffon. <3

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I like Buffon, but this is a guy that benefited from his team cheating for years and he also has a WC title that was, to say the least, lucky.
Don't see why everyone should pull for him to win another one.
I want a new team to win it, and unfortunately, only Monaco is new.
If it's not Monaco, then Atletico deserves one after their unlucky breaks in the previous finals.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
In terms of preference:

A) Monaco B) Atletico C) Juventus ... Z) Real.

Which probably means Real will win, again. Completely unrelated reference to former German striker Stephan Kuntz.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I like Buffon, but this is a guy that benefited from his team cheating for years and he also has a WC title that was, to say the least, lucky.

I root for him because he's - by all accounts- a quality person.
And been there forever, he was my favorite player back when I was rooting for Parma in Serie A, when Parma and a competitive Serie A were a thing, in like 1998-2000.
From his teammates' comments to things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Es3B-NJKY

As far as his WC title... He did his bit, he was great.
Honestly, Zidane's red card and Materazzi's clown routine mattered only so much, game was going to penalties. (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "lucky"?)
Italy got away with a weak penalty vs Australia in the second round, but they played a good tournament, and were deserved winners.
Had France won, they'd have been deserved winners as well.
That whole tournament can be summed in two words: Fabio Grosso.
A guy from Palermo got that pen vs Australia in ET, scored the game winner vs Germany in ET and the winning penalty vs France. A guy who'd never again reach the level of play he provided that tournament, not in Inter, not in Lyon, not in Juve; people just kept giving him chances based on that 2006 WC.
(well, his first season in Lyon was good, to be fair, but he then resumed his ordinary play and appearances off the bench - but just saying, stars aligned for Italy's 2006 WC win)

Think you have to be lucky to win the WC anyway. Lillian Thuram scored 2 goals in 100+ appearances for the NT.
Both vs Croatia in the WC semi. I mean... I'll never forget that lol.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No I mean lucky because they should have been knocked out way before the final if not for shady reffing.

Totally agreed that France was extremely lucky to win WC98. Have always said they were in fact.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
When I say boring it is the part of me watching football for entertainment saying it. The other side of me, the analytical part, doesn't necessarily find RM boring. I agree they are actually quite an interesting case analytically.

I tend to watch PL games in my analytical mode - just because I follow the league closer I know more about every team's identity etc. I don't watch for example RM every week. And I don't watch whoever they are playing in the CL every week. So even if I know more about RM than the average fan I don't have the same kind of in-depth understanding of them the same way I do with most, and certainly the top teams, in England (PL so including Wales :D ). Therefore when I watch RM it is more for being entertained than understanding all the small subtleties in their game.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Here's a stat :
In 22 CL games under Simeone, Atletico has been scored on FIVE times at home. :amazed:
Real better score in the first leg !

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
02–03/05/17: Monaco - Juventus // Real - Atletico

09–10/05/17: Juventus - Monaco // Atletico - Real

In some way, I wanted Juve and Atletico to play each other, at least we'd be sure to get a good number of goals if Monaco played Real.
This way, both Juve and Atleti have the ability to deaden the offensive game in both ties.

Oh well, gonna be some good football either way.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
If it's not Monaco, then Atletico deserves one after their unlucky breaks in the previous finals.

Lol :laugh:

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street

The 98 WC title was lucky too, Ronaldo was sick as a dog

And Thuram pushed those Croatian players to score

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Between the EXTREMELY favourite calls in the knockout stage and the wins on penalties, I think it's fair to say it was lucky, wouldn't you say?

You can make a case for the match against Australia (We played short cause a red card). Winning on penalties is not a question of luck. As soon we won against the germans i knew we were going to win the final too.

You should note we got scored on 2 times in the tournament. An own goal and a penalty kick.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Pens is not luck?
The only missed pen was on the post with Buffon beaten.
I can certainly make a case for Australia the reffing was disgraceful all game.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad