GWT: Champions League Semi-Finals

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Any coach with half a brain will win the treble with this PSG team in France
There you go :laugh:

EDIT : as a side note, it's extremely hard to win two cups every year. League is a gimme, but cups are tough. One single loss and you're out.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Money doesn't always equal a dominant team. Wolfsburg spent ~80% of what Bayern did on net for the last 4-5 years (until this year) and didn't get anything from it.

His first two years they spent a total of 26M, so it's not like he's maintained top form by just going gangbusters with buying talent. Granted in the 2 years prior they had dropped a total of 116.9M (primarily highlighted by Javi and Neuer) so it's not like he was walking into an empty house, but he still gets credit for making smart purchases, selling the excess he had and maintaining top form.
Since my club - I have to say former club, since it is a corporation now - has perfected the system of wasting money, I know exactly that spending big does not automatically equal success. However, having deep pockets allows to make much more and bigger mistakes.

The amount of € 26m affects solely transfer fees. Yet Lewandowski moved without a fee, so did Kirchhoff and Rode, who were both impact players for their former clubs. Yet I refuse to believe that these came to Munich for free.

The comparison to Wolfsburg is not apt either. This city is not considered to be the most pleasant place to live (which must be the fault of the Britons, who urged to drop the almost poetic previous name "Stadt des KdF-Wagens bei Fallersleben") and the team is merely a bland entity of treacherous VW AG, so that even the players hailing from Brazilian favelas demand a hefty surcharge. However, once again you only mentioned transfer fees - the salaries are cost-effective, too.

(...)
It wouldn't have been a massive disappointment if they had lost this year. Leicester City wrapped up their league before Bayern.
Coming into this season, Dortmund had barely qualified for the Europa League and decided to cut ties with Klopp. I really doubt that one single Munich executive and/or player would not have been massively disappointed if they were overtaken by Dortmund - regardless of whatever happened with Leicester.

Last year, Munich clinched the championship by default on the last Sunday of April, when runner-up Wolfsburg lost in M'gladbach. Such low was the excitement over the championship that no celebrations were held, Munich preferred to concentrate on the cup campaigns. After these ended prematurely, only a lukewarm party took place - the championship was a consolation price and will be this year again, especially if Dortmund wins the German Cup.

Guardiola certainly is a very good coach. But I am absolutely sure that the Munich brass will trade any tactical progress their players have made happily for a CL win - they do take very much pride in winning there.

Gruß,
BSHH

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Tried watching but I can't. Jerseys are giving me a head ache. Why didn't City where one of their blues.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I almost feel bad for City. Silva and Kompany both going down against RM, in the most important games of their season.

Almost.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Lol, Blanc is going to win two trebles in a row and he's still considered half-bad because he fails in the CL QF.

I didn't make that inference. If Blanc didn't adequately prepare the team to perform in the CL, he deserves an appropriate share of the criticism. Don't criticize the result alone. PSG's success was more predicated on the individual tactical ability of some of their players, and when those players went out, PSG did as well. They had a lot more flaws in areas that the coach is actually responsible for than Bayern did. I wouldn't say the same thing about this year's Bayern.

Well, that's my point. It IS the expectation. And if he doesn't, he out in a NY minute.
If did, and got eliminated one round before Bayern and yet this year was seen as a massive disapointment.
Bayern should win the league every year and any other result is a disapointment.

The expectation is wrong.

Coming into this season, Dortmund had barely qualified for the Europa League and decided to cut ties with Klopp. I really doubt that one single Munich executive and/or player would not have been massively disappointed if they were overtaken by Dortmund - regardless of whatever happened with Leicester.

Last year, Munich clinched the championship by default on the last Sunday of April, when runner-up Wolfsburg lost in M'gladbach. Such low was the excitement over the championship that no celebrations were held, Munich preferred to concentrate on the cup campaigns. After these ended prematurely, only a lukewarm party took place - the championship was a consolation price and will be this year again, especially if Dortmund wins the German Cup.

Guardiola certainly is a very good coach. But I am absolutely sure that the Munich brass will trade any tactical progress their players have made happily for a CL win - they do take very much pride in winning there.

Gruß,
BSHH

I wasn't aware that Dortmund's performance last year was relevant to whether finishing second to them this year would have been a massive disappointment. Nor that it would be disappointing to finish second to a team that's on track to acquire more points than not only every other second place team in Bundesliga history, but also more points than all but the past four Bayern champions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad