GWT: Champions League R16 Second Legs & QF Draw

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I don’t know if they’ll get there but Liverpool probably couldn’t have drawn a better path to the final with City, PSG and Bayern drawing on the same side.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I don't intend to repeat Juve's error in underestimating Porto, but both at the QF and SF levels this looks great to me

You are almost already guaranteed a Semi Final spot. On a pure footballing level, Porto are Burnley level side. Sporting Lisbon are 10 points clear of Porto at the top. Sporting got smashed 4-1 by LASK in their Europa League qualifier during a 22 game league unbeaten run. LASK couldn't qualify from their Europa League group.

However, their style of play might catch Chelsea off guard. They play a very traditional English shithouse 442, mostly hitting it long to big target men, way more direct than even Burnley. They average like 68% pass completion in the UCL because they are so direct. It's hilarious.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
You are almost already guaranteed a Semi Final spot. On a pure footballing level, Porto are Burnley level side. Sporting Lisbon are 10 points clear of Porto at the top. Sporting got smashed 4-1 by LASK in their Europa League qualifier during a 22 game league unbeaten run. LASK couldn't qualify from their Europa League group.

However, their style of play might catch Chelsea off guard. They play a very traditional English shithouse 442, mostly hitting it long to big target men, way more direct than even Burnley. They average like 68% pass completion in the UCL because they are so direct. It's hilarious.
Why go through the mental gymnastics of comparing Porto to the European opposition of their domestic opposition when we can just say Porto won four games in the CL group stage, beat Juve in the round of 16 and shouldn’t be underestimated?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Ohhh and I just saw that we get the winner of Porto/Chelsea if we win against Liverpool.

RMCF has a realistic path to the finals even though we kinda suck. We would probably get slaughtered by Bayern or City once we get there, but meh!

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
a very traditional English shithouse 442

:D

Anyway, I think Bayern/PSG and City/Dortmund will be fun games. Madrid/Pool looks tasty on paper but that will probably end up with Madrid boring Liverpool to death and advancing with two 1-0 wins.

Reactions: AB13

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
PSG's draw is both absurdly bad and very very good.
My reasonning is that with the way they're playing, they have zero chance against Bayern.
BUT, it's also very much why they could finally play up to their standards and be a terrible threat with that speed up front. They have nothing to lose.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
PSG's draw is both absurdly bad and very very good.
My reasonning is that with the way they're playing, they have zero chance against Bayern.
BUT, it's also very much why they could finally play up to their standards and be a terrible threat with that speed up front. They have nothing to lose.

And then they'll get trounced by City. They REALLY have a tough path to the finals.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And then they'll get trounced by City. They REALLY have a tough path to the finals.
Frankly, last year was the only year PSG could say they DIDN'T have a very very tough draw.

I guess it's just lack of luck....

That said, PSG is totally the type of team that can absorb pressure and kill you 1 on 1 on counters aka the Guardiola cryptonite.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Man City is beatable if you score first/maybe keep game at 0-0 for a while if you are really lucky, and can get them out of their shape. If they take the lead it is going to be a long long day. Man City I am glad are on the other side of the bracket because that’s the team you would least want to play over two legs.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Man City is beatable if you score first/maybe keep game at 0-0 for a while if you are really lucky, and can get them out of their shape. If they take the lead it is going to be a long long day. Man City I am glad are on the other side of the bracket because that’s the team you would least want to play over two legs.
They are also beatable if Pep decides to wacky in another big game, here comes KDB goalie :laugh:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They are also beatable if Pep decides to wacky in another big game, here comes KDB goalie :laugh:
It’ll be weird for sure.

if he doesn’t play a striker he’ll get crap for that even though City is better without a striker this season.

If he plays a striker, it’ll be why didn’t he.

They have been so good in the PL, winning a number of different ways, he is kind of damned either way. But that’s the media for you.

if City don’t win it this year, maybe they never will.

Reactions: robertmac43

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Barca is somehow an easy draw? Compared to teams that were qualified in the KO stage? Seriously?

And not terrible argument. Obvious argument.
Remember when they had a draw where they got the home leg as second leg in EVERY single round and still drew the easiest opponent possible all the way to the final?
Because I do.

Frankly, ever since the Roma/ Liverpool game was announced a day before the draw by Roma's official website, never again will I doubt conspiracy theories when it comes to UEFA draws.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Barca is somehow an easy draw? Compared to teams that were qualified in the KO stage? Seriously?

And not terrible argument. Obvious argument.
Remember when they had a draw where they got the home leg as second leg in EVERY single round and still drew the easiest opponent possible all the way to the final?
Because I do.

Frankly, ever since the Roma/ Liverpool game was announced a day before the draw by Roma's official website, never again will I doubt conspiracy theories when it comes to UEFA draws.
I mean this isn't Pep's Barca

PSG were the favorites, at least in my books, I said they would trounce Barcelona and they did

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
They actually didn't.
They had one dominant half. Out of 4. One was a balanced one and two were in favor of Barca who couldn't capitalize.
There were plenty of easier draws than Barca. Plenty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad