Man City (2-0) Monchengladbach
Real Madrid (1-0) Atalanta

Wednesday 17 March

Bayern Munich (4-1) Lazio
Chelsea (1-0) Atlético Madrid

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I know you don't want to hear it but to say it a thousand times doesn't make it true.
The return leg is an advantage for the home team because partly of the away goal rule.
So in that case it's perfectly normal that the rule stays put regardless of where the games are played.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I know you don't want to hear it but to say it a thousand times doesn't make it true.
The return leg is an advantage for the home team because partly of the away goal rule.
So in that case it's perfectly normal that the rule stays put regardless of where the games are played.

Sure, but that 'advantage' is still predicated on the notion that it's harder to score away from home than it is to score at home, which is nullified when a game is played at a neutral venue.

It's a stupid rule in regular times, and its absurdity is underscored in the present circumstances.

Reactions: Savant

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Where is the advantage in this specific scenario though. Please explain.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I disagree with it being a stupid rule. It's an advantage for the return leg team.
And that advantage is still valid in neutral ground.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Sure, but that 'advantage' is still predicated on the notion that it's harder to score away from home than it is to score at home, which is nullified when a game is played at a neutral venue.

It's a stupid rule in regular times, and its absurdity is underscored in the present circumstances.
Yeah I mean if the game was in Romania where Atlético-Chelsea was, you could have pretended one team was Romanian and one team was Hungarian (I guess?) which would have been dumb but relatively defensible but this is literally the same two teams in the same stadium. There is no advantage.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Where is the advantage in this specific scenario though. Please explain.
:dunno:
Really?
When you start away as the favourite, you can try to score knowing you still have the return leg. That's what Pool did or PSG.
When PSG was down 1-0 after a joke of a ref decision, if you had two netural games, they might not have tried to score as much as they did.
They did because they knew that at 1-1 they were ahead. And they pused to tie it.

Away goals totally change the dynamics of the games. And to not understand the positives of it is really not understand the concept of european football really. In fact, some teams have made a living of these situations because they perfectly master the essence of away goals rules (Atletico for instance).

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I disagree with it being a stupid rule. It's an advantage for the return leg team.
And that advantage is still valid in neutral ground.
But where is the advantage if the return leg is the same as the first leg? In a neutral stadium.

I do not see it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
:dunno:
Really?
When you start away as the favourite, you can try to score knowing you still have the return leg. That's what Pool did or PSG.
When PSG was down 1-0 after a joke of a ref decision, if you had two netural games, they might not have tried to score as much as they did.
They did because they knew that at 1-1 they were ahead. And they pused to tie it.

Away goals totally change the dynamics of the games. And to not understand the positives of it is really not understand the concept of european football really. In fact, some teams have made a living of these situations because they perfectly master the essence of away goals rules (Atletico for instance).
You are philosophically talking about the essence of away goals. Which is fine; but that’s a different conversation

I am talking about how goals can be considered “away” if all the goals are scored at the same neutral venue with no fans.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You are philosophically talking about the essence of away goals. Which is fine; but that’s a different conversation

I am talking about how goals can be considered “away” if all the goals are scored at the same neutral venue with no fans.
But that's absolutely besides the point.
The point is to evaluate if away goals have an impact. They do, strategically and thus should be kept since the stadium where they're played isn't the most important thing.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
But that's absolutely besides the point.
The point is to evaluate if away goals have an impact. They do, strategically and thus should be kept since the stadium where they're played isn't the most important thing.
That’s a separate conversation.

I want to know why away goals should count at the same neutral venue, with the same teams and no fans. This is in a vacuum. And my team has an “away goal” edge is this situation and I still think it’s stupid. Where is the competitive advantage for LFC vs RBL, with two games in Budapest. With no fans. That’s what I want to know. I’ll argue about the merit of away goals as a whole another time. I want to know why any of the goals in that matchup should count as away goals. Period.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That’s a separate conversation.

I want to know why away goals should count at the same neutral venue, with the same teams and no fans. This is in a vacuum. And my team has an “away goal” edge is this situation and I still think it’s stupid. Where is the competitive advantage for LFC vs RBL, with two games in Budapest. With no fans. That’s what I want to know. I’ll argue about the merit of away goals as a whole another time. I want to know why any of the goals in that matchup should count as away goals. Period.
The competitive advantage is for Liverpool obviously since they get their "home" game last. :huh:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The competitive advantage is for Liverpool obviously since they get their "home" game last. :huh:
But it’s not a home game is it? If it’s the same as their away game. It’s just arbitrary nonsense. There is no competitive advantage to having their assigned home game last, if they don’t get any of the benefits that they would get at Anfield.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Yes. I agree. If you have to play in a neutral ground just make it one game. No need to have 2 games or at the very least remove the aggregates goal rule.

Because let's assume Leipzig win the next game 3-1. They would pass due to aggregates goal but in reality both clubs would have scored 3 goals each in the same venue (which is neutral). It makes no sense at all.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
But it’s not a home game is it? If it’s the same as their away game. It’s just arbitrary nonsense. There is no competitive advantage to having their assigned home game last, if they don’t get any of the benefits that they would get at Anfield.
We just can't understand each other.
THERE IS A COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE THANKS TO AWAY GOALS.
As it should be.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
We just can't understand each other.
THERE IS A COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE THANKS TO AWAY GOALS.
As it should be.
But why should there be away goals when neither team is home?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00