GWT: Champions League - Matchweek 6

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There are politicians that think every election is rigged.

Just because they are in the game doesn't mean they know what the hell they are talking about.

By that same token, just because some idiots are saying that every election is rigged doesn't mean that all elections around the world are legitimate...especially when there's a long history of corruption in the field.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
A conspiracy theory with no proof is not the same as a conspiracy theory with no proof?
In both cases, it's people in the game saying that things are corrupt without providing evidence of that corruption :dunno:
The players have no power over said conspiracy and they are not openly flaunting said conspiracy for personal gain. There is a difference between locker room talk and using their influence to perpetuate lies, which is the examples that you two are referring to. They don’t have the power and aren’t trying to gain power, they just think UEFA is crooked. There is a difference

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
For Chelsea, anybody else is okay, just avoid PSG.

It's pretty much 50/50 chance for Milan to draw a very tough opponent (Bayern, Real Madrid or Man City) or one of the other three possibilities, so they need some luck in the draw for sure.

Liverpool only can draw four teams, Bayern and Real would obviously be the difficult ones, Portuguese teams would be preferred by them for sure.

So, it will be Porto - Liverpool again. :)

As for the rest, this would do:

Chelsea - Frankfurt
Benfica - Milan
Tottenham - PSG
Bayern - Brugge
Real Madrid - Inter
Man City - Leipzig
Dortmund - Napoli

PSG - Bayern and Liverpool vs Real Madrid are the top draws.

Outside of ManCity, whoever the winners of those ties will face in the next round, it will be an easier opponent.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
This posted anywhere?

RB Leipzig - Manchester City
Club Brugge - Benfica
Liverpool - Real Madrid
Milan - Tottenham
Eintracht Frankfurt - Napoli
Borussia Dortmund - Chelsea
Inter - Porto
Paris Saint-Germain - Bayern

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I do not think Liverpool are that tough of an opponent this year.

I mean, it is a knockout tie, so anything can happen, but I am not too scared.

But they could be next year ;) Much can happen before February / March when the matches will be played.

I think Italian clubs should be decently happy with the draw, whereas it wouldn't be a big surprise to see all German teams be out after the 1st knockout round.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland

For what it's worth, you're probably right.

But I do think there's something about Anfield, and having to come there. I would have preferred for Liverpool to be home in the second leg, but it could be interesting from that alone.

They will not be the team they are right now come tie though.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

I dunno, depends on the WC. If France/Croatia/Brazil have deep runs, Madrid could be in trouble.
WC is not just physically intense, but also emotionally - guys like Modric and Benzema could have issues to recover physically, other mentally (and Madrid has Modric, Benz, Mendy, Tchoumeni, Vini, Eder Militao, Rodrygo... that's a lot of basically starting 11players).

Reactions: cgf

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
For what it's worth, you're probably right.

But I do think there's something about Anfield, and having to come there. I would have preferred for Liverpool to be home in the second leg, but it could be interesting from that alone.

They will not be the team they are right now come tie though.

Anfield, sure. Great fortress. So is the Bernabeu. It is a classic match up and should be fun. Based on LFC's form, I am not too worried, but, as you said, a lot can change until then.

I dunno, depends on the WC. If France/Croatia/Brazil have deep runs, Madrid could be in trouble.
WC is not just physically intense, but also emotionally - guys like Modric and Benzema could have issues to recover physically, other mentally (and Madrid has Modric, Benz, Mendy, Tchoumeni, Vini, Eder Militao, Rodrygo... that's a lot of basically starting 11players).
Very good point. WC could have a huge impact, especially on our older players like Modric and Benzema. Injuries to other guys could also happen.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Anfield, sure. Great fortress. So is the Bernabeu. It is a classic match up and should be fun. Based on LFC's form, I am not too worried, but, as you said, a lot can change until then.

Very good point. WC could have a huge impact, especially on our older players like Modric and Benzema. Injuries to other guys could also happen.
Of course it's a difficult away match. For both. I more mean that the big stage, and for at least one leg, having Anfield will mean that whatever crappy form Liverpool might be in, it likely wouldn't be the club that shows up.

A lot happens between now and then, but the second part above is also good. Liverpool have some massive injuries, and a number of players getting rest for the WC. So, it could be a different club that shows up.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Guess the rigging didn’t work.
I mean did you watch the draw last year by any chance? Don’t need to look back so far to see blatant rigging attempt not working.

Either way I think the matchups are all pretty boring. LFC will go out against Madrid for sure and can focus on fighting for 4th. All the other English teams get out of things pretty easily, and PSG vs Bayern is the only one that I would care to watch neutrally but I’m probably not alone in thinking that. One of the favorites isn’t making it to the quarters. Everything else? Meh

Of course it's a difficult away match. For both. I more mean that the big stage, and for at least one leg, having Anfield will mean that whatever crappy form Liverpool might be in, it likely wouldn't be the club that shows up.

A lot happens between now and then, but the second part above is also good. Liverpool have some massive injuries, and a number of players getting rest for the WC. So, it could be a different club that shows up.
Ancelotti owns Klopp and Madrid has way too much for Liverpool in midfield. I don’t think LFC have anything for them.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think Real should be favored today, and likely come actual tie. But a lot can change between now and then.

I think the two legs gives Liverpool more of a chance.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think Real should be favored today, and likely come actual tie. But a lot can change between now and then.

I think the two legs gives Liverpool more of a chance.
I think two legs makes it worse

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
But they could be next year ;) Much can happen before February / March when the matches will be played.

I think Italian clubs should be decently happy with the draw, whereas it wouldn't be a big surprise to see all German teams be out after the 1st knockout round.

It wouldn't? BVB & Bayern have tough draws, but are probably favorites atm. Frankfurt's a 50/50 and Leipzig are rightfully underdogs.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I mean did you watch the draw last year by any chance? Don’t need to look back so far to see blatant rigging attempt not working.

Either way I think the matchups are all pretty boring. LFC will go out against Madrid for sure and can focus on fighting for 4th. All the other English teams get out of things pretty easily, and PSG vs Bayern is the only one that I would care to watch neutrally but I’m probably not alone in thinking that. One of the favorites isn’t making it to the quarters. Everything else? Meh

Ancelotti owns Klopp and Madrid has way too much for Liverpool in midfield. I don’t think LFC have anything for them.

Disagree bigly. Bayern-PSG, LFC-Real, & BVB-Chelsea, are premier matchups between teams that nobody would've blinked at seeing in the QF or SFs before the season. While Brugge-Benfica, Milan-Tottenham, Frankfurt-Napoli, & Inter-Porto, all look to be very competitive ties.

RBL-Citeh is the only match-up that I don't expect to be very competitive, but even that one could see an upset if Haaland isn't fit and/or Pep over-corrects.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

This. Part of why I hope germany goes on a deep run is so that Bayern will be drained when the club season picks back up :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad