FC KobenhavnBorussia DortmundWed., Nov. 2, 3:00 PMParken
Juventus Paris Saint-GermainWed., Nov. 2, 3:00 PMJuventus Stadium
Maccabi HaifaSL BenficaWed., Nov. 2, 3:00 PMSammy Ofer Stadium

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Probably not watching LFC this midweek. I need a break.

Will do Leverkusen vs Brugge and Sporting v Frankfurt tomorrow and Shakhtar v Leipzig and Milan v Salzburg tomorrow.

Won’t be paying a ton of attention though.

R16 draw is on Nov 7

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Xavi apparently going to play the kids. Torre better start. I'd start Torre, Raphinha, Fati, Bellerin, Pena and Kessie for sure. Curious of Casado gets some decent minutes too.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

football.london understands that there were three prolonged periods of fireworks being let off right outside their hotel at around 1am, 3am and 5am on Monday night as Antonio Conte and his Spurs squad attempted to sleep ahead of their crunch Champions League match against the French side.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
It's apparently one of those laws they announce but don't enforce.

naw, but like, constitutionally bruv

police dont make the laws and no way there's any law that covers that, so you're saying it's just police announcing bullshit rules that would never hold up in court but they don't care bc it will have already fulfilled its purpose

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

police dont make the laws and no way there's any law that covers that, so you're saying it's just police announcing bullshit rules that would never hold up in court but they don't care bc it will have already fulfilled its purpose
I mean I was in Paris for the UCL final. I wasn’t at the game but I was at the fan park and I narrowly avoided getting tear gassed. Everything was completely fine (and the French police were actually very helpful to people that needed it more so than I’ve seen in America) during 90% of the day. Like I’ve never seen American police helping fans that were sick and dehydrated and keeping them alert and giving them water at an event like that.

But as the day got later and the fans got more frustrated with how the game was going (not even more drunk just more concerned about the game) their mood visibly changed and by the end they started preemptively using tear gas. It’s like they were reacting to something that they thought might happen rather than give the people a chance to be civil. It was very strange.

Also interesting was the reaction to the Liverpool fans in Amsterdam after MW5 vs Ajax. I thought it was so strange but people put out notices that were actually applauding the fans for being respectful. They didn’t make the fans wait in the stadium afterwards, and the police involvement was intentionally minimal. I thought it was bizarre that was even reported but I guess here we are. There was actually allowed to be a mixed zone. All I’m saying here is I doubt that would have happened in France based in my experience there. I do think soccer fans need to fight this perception of themselves, especially when they travel, but I think the lesson is you need to give these people a chance to do right instead of assuming they will do wrong

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

1.) Have you ever paid attention to police before? They always do stuff that would never hold up in court.
2.) I'm not sure about in France specifically, but in many countries police have pretty broad crowd control discretion, especially during big events.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
1.) Have you ever paid attention to police before? They always do stuff that would never hold up in court.
2.) I'm not sure about in France specifically, but in many countries police have pretty broad crowd control discretion, especially during big events.
See toronto

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Eh, the police likely have the power to announce some type of curfew and/or the police announced the law but it was actually passed by city council.

I mean I was in Paris for the UCL final. I wasn’t at the game but I was at the fan park and I narrowly avoided getting tear gassed. Everything was completely fine (and the French police were actually very helpful to people that needed it more so than I’ve seen in America) during 90% of the day. Like I’ve never seen American police helping fans that were sick and dehydrated and keeping them alert and giving them water at an event like that.

But as the day got later and the fans got more frustrated with how the game was going (not even more drunk just more concerned about the game) their mood visibly changed and by the end they started preemptively using tear gas. It’s like they were reacting to something that they thought might happen rather than give the people a chance to be civil. It was very strange.

Also interesting was the reaction to the Liverpool fans in Amsterdam after MW5 vs Ajax. I thought it was so strange but people put out notices that were actually applauding the fans for being respectful. They didn’t make the fans wait in the stadium afterwards, and the police involvement was intentionally minimal. I thought it was bizarre that was even reported but I guess here we are. There was actually allowed to be a mixed zone. All I’m saying here is I doubt that would have happened in France based in my experience there. I do think soccer fans need to fight this perception of themselves, especially when they travel, but I think the lesson is you need to give these people a chance to do right instead of assuming they will do wrong
First things first, I’m not doubting you or anything. This just surprised me and I wonder if it’s regional. In St. Louis, especially during summer events, I often see police helping dehydrated folks.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
First things first, I’m not doubting you or anything. This just surprised me and I wonder if it’s regional. In St. Louis, especially during summer events, I often see police helping dehydrated folks.
In New York they kick you in the ribs and tell you to keep it moving.

Reactions: Savant

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
From a BuLi perspective:
- Bayern & Dortmund are already through so they should be rotating heavily in preparation for the scramble to finish the hinrunde.

- Leipzig needs a draw or win to hold onto 2nd since Shakhtar would have the H2H tiebreaker after a second win against Leipzig. RBL can not fall to 4th even with a loss.

- Frankfurt must beat Sporting to advance in the CL since both Sporting & Tottenham hold the tiebreakers against them. SGE has the H2H tiebreaker over Marseille, so they can only drop to 4th with a Marseille win against Tottenyam AND a SGE draw/loss against Sporting.

- Leverkusen has to better Atletico's result to claim the EL spot; they are 1 pt back but hold the tiebreaker. They can not advance in the CL.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Around Chicago, that depends very much on location & the type of event in my experience. If we're talking about a generic concert or neighborhood festival and it's on the north side (the white side) of chicago or in the suburbs then yeah, most cops are generally super-friendly and they'll ask if you need help if it looks like you're struggling.

If otoh, it's on the south side (the black side) of chicago -- even in a nicer southside neighborhood like Hyde Park, where I recently moved back to -- then there are still a number of super-friendly cops at events, but they don't just offer to help nearly as much, and there are a lot more stand-off-ish cops seemingly waiting for s*** to go down.

Part of that is probably an understanding that their presence is received differently in Hyde Park than it is up in Wrigleyville...even in white & black neighborhoods with similar rates of violent crime...but that only accounts for part of the difference in police behavior...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Please see post from JF. This has gone for me anywhere I’ve been on the east coast. Mrs. Savant would also corroborate this. She was also surprised when she saw the police helping

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Please see post from JF. This has gone for me anywhere I’ve been on the east coast. Mrs. Savant would also corroborate this. She was also surprised when she saw the police helping
Like I said, I don't doubt you at all. It makes sense that it's different.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Looks like Porto is easily beating Atletico, Tico defenders allow lots of space for opponents and don't seem to go in with full force in some situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad