GWT: Champions League Matchday 4

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Effort level is a bit tricky to evaluate. They ran more than Atalanta.
Which is more concerning because LFC looked lost and out of sync all game. Both Atalanta goals are almost copy cat. Both from the same spot and both are preventable. Rhys Williams was exposed this game which was expected considering the talent of their opponent. Neco Williams seem to have regressed. He hold on way too long on the ball and he is unable to create any decent passes. He was also very poor on both crosses that lead to the goal. Overall this was simply unacceptable. I think the fact they cannot rotate any midfielder is also an issue. Gini/Milner are workhorse but they looked off in this game. I hope Henderson and Thiago are ready to play soon.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Atalanta is a fun watch. Gasperini deserves all the praise he has gotten and more.

They & Sassuolo are two of the most interesting non-BuLi teams for me. Really love watching what both of their managers do with their squads.

...hopefully neither turns out to be the insufferable c*** that Sarri did...

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Which is more concerning because LFC looked lost and out of sync all game. Both Atalanta goals are almost copy cat. Both from the same spot and both are preventable. Rhys Williams was exposed this game which was expected considering the talent of their opponent. Neco Williams seem to have regressed. He hold on way too long on the ball and he is unable to create any decent passes. He was also very poor on both crosses that lead to the goal. Overall this was simply unacceptable. I think the fact they cannot rotate any midfielder is also an issue. Gini/Milner are workhorse but they looked off in this game. I hope Henderson and Thiago are ready to play soon.

I wouldn't be much concerned, but I think it shows how little it takes for a fantastic team to become average if not poor.

Always annoys me at Spurs boards how after one poor game it is all doom and gloom - as if better teams than Spurs do not have poor games - as shown by Pool today.

As someone that is hoping Pool won't succeed (in the PL at least), not because I have anything against the team - but because they can't win is Spurs are to, Saturday will be interesting. Pretty sure Pool will bounce back, but I have also predicted that things will catch up with them. Not only because of the injuries now, but generally the miles the best players have covered for some years now. So far I have been terrible wrong of course. I have stopped guessing when Liverpool stops winning - clearly outside of what I'm capable of predicting.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bayern through and BVB, BMG almost in next Round. Only RBL are tremble. Good CL-Season by Bundesliga-Teams heretofore.

And even RB will be in a good spot if they beat United. Shaping up to be a really exciting CL for the BuLi.

Last edited:

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Conte is a sack of shit, confirmed. Did you see how he subbed Eriksen in the last four minutes for Lukaku, with no hope whatsoever to even tie the game? That's how big of a shithead he is. "Eriksen had his chances" cit.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
They & Sassuolo are two of the most interesting non-BuLi teams for me. Really love watching what both of their managers do with their squads.

...hopefully neither turns out to be the insufferable c*** that Sarri did...
I'm partial but I'd add Milan to that list. Love what those three are doing with their teams. Creative, offensive minded, fluid formations and just bonkers tempo.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
And even RB will be in a good spot if they beat United. Shaping up to be a really exciting CL for the BuLi.

This’ll ruffle some feathers, but I think there’s an argument this year that the Bundesliga is the best league in the world. Best team in the world right now with Bayern, Dortmund is top 10 and could push for top 5 depending on how the season unfolds, Leipzig, Gladbach, and Leverkusen are all strong teams, as well, that have shown in Europe how competitive they are with the top teams in other leagues. Most recent seasons the league has been weaker. Not this season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This’ll ruffle some feathers, but I think there’s an argument this year that the Bundesliga is the best league in the world. Best team in the world right now with Bayern, Dortmund is top 10 and could push for top 5 depending on how the season unfolds, Leipzig, Gladbach, and Leverkusen are all strong teams, as well, that have shown in Europe how competitive they are with the top teams in other leagues. Most recent seasons the league has been weaker. Not this season.

Why would anyone's feathers be ruffled by the truth? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It'll be so funny when even getting lucky in that match proves not to be enough for United to stop Leipzig from winning the group :naughty:

What to expect from a mid table team?

Not that I want to "%%" on the Bundesliga. Really like the league (even if I don't like a couple of the teams). And longer term I don't see why Germany wouldn't have the biggest league. Except for the language the population is bigger and should have a lot more companies for potential sponsorships. The PL were just better at getting rid of the old track and field stadiums - and I guess leveraged on English being a more widely understood language.

The Bundesliga should completely dwarf Spain, Italy and France at least - 10 years from now.

Obviously I am now too old to ever change teams, but when there was talk of Spurs being sold to some oil money I was contemplating finding a team in Germany to kind of follow (I can't see myself becoming a "fan" in the same way). Mainly because I find the ownership structure much better (not perfect) than what you see in for example England.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad