GWT: Champions League Group Stage Round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
tim.png

Not sure if you're questioning that but, you don't think there's a lot of guesswork involved in a penalty kick? I mean, how often to keepers jump the wrong way, or move out of the way of a ball hit right at them? Come on now.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Not sure if you're questioning that but, you don't think there's a lot of guesswork involved in a penalty kick? I mean, how often to keepers jump the wrong way, or move out of the way of a ball hit right at them? Come on now.

You'll be telling me it's a lottery next.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Jesus, I'm not saying they're mutually exclusive. They have many overlapping skills. But saying definitively that being a good penalty saver means that goalie must be a good shot stopper or the inverse is patently false.

Again, you're wrong. That's okay.

So what you're saying is that all the skills you noted as being PK stopping skills in your first post are also shot stopping skills. :laugh:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
So what you're saying is that all the skills you noted as being PK stopping skills in your first post are also shot stopping skills. :laugh:

I don't know how many times I need to repeat myself. Yes, a lot of skills overlap. That doesn't mean that they're the same skill. Saving penalties focuses more on reflexes and athleticism. Shot stopping focuses more on reading the game and positioning, but still requires reflexes and athleticism. Hence how someone can be a good PK saver and not necessarily a good shot stopper.

Can't wait to see how I'm wrong this time, because you know so much more about football than everyone.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Great that you've been a world class goalie because pro goales actually DO study the tendencies of the PK shooters. Like ALL THE TIME.

I thought even basic football fans knew this, so I'm surprised you, as a near pro goalie, can't know that.

Obviously goalies study up on penalty tendencies and where players like to go, but even then there's still guess work on where the shooter will go. Knowing your shooters tendencies just makes it a more educated guess, because for all you know the could do the exact opposite of what they usually do. There's a lot of mind games that go on in penalty shootouts and pk's

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't know how many times I need to repeat myself. Yes, a lot of skills overlap. That doesn't mean that they're the same skill. Saving penalties focuses more on reflexes and athleticism. Shot stopping focuses more on reading the game and positioning, but still requires reflexes and athleticism. Hence how someone can be a good PK saver and not necessarily a good shot stopper.

Can't wait to see how I'm wrong this time, because you know so much more about football than everyone.

So you're everyone now?:laugh:

I won't even answer, I've made my case clear and even gave you a list of the best PK stoppers. Weird, they also overlap the best shot stoppers in the game... :sarcasm:

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
:laugh: Evilo is perhaps the most condescending poster on this board.

I'm not saying he's wrong, but it seems as if someone tries to argue otherwise they're labeled as inferior. Always a sly dig involved. Can be kind of entertaining to read, I guess :laugh:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
:laugh: Evilo is perhaps the most condescending poster on this board.

I'm not saying he's wrong, but it seems as if someone tries to argue otherwise they're labeled as inferior. Always a sly dig involved. Can be kind of entertaining to read, I guess :laugh:
I admit :D
That said, I read a lot of ridiculous stuff here, so that kind of helps me get a tad agressive :)
I'll say this board has been much more informed than it was 5 years or 10 years ago however.
We do see some outrageous posts from time to time (see no german player would start on the english squad stuff during the Euro), but in the end, the biggest gripes I get is when someone is trying to lecture me while not knowing what they're talking about. :D

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
That said, I read a lot of ridiculous stuff here, so that kind of helps me get a tad agressive :)
I'll say this board has been much more informed than it was 5 years or 10 years ago however.
We do see some outrageous posts from time to time (see no german player would start on the english squad stuff during the Euro), but in the end, the biggest gripes I get is when someone is trying to lecture me while not knowing what they're talking about. :D

My favorite was when the same guy argued with 100% certainty that the EPL is better than la Liga when everyone disagreed with him. At least with the post about Germany vs. England squads he didn't proceed to stick his foot further in his mouth. :laugh:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
So you're everyone now?:laugh:

I won't even answer, I've made my case clear and even gave you a list of the best PK stoppers. Weird, they also overlap the best shot stoppers in the game... :sarcasm:

Remarkably, I'm not only talking about this one instance.

It's amazing, then, that everyone else is weighing in against you.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Never have truer words been spoken

The best is when they're going at eachother. It's like a condescension overload, or a train wreck. You don't want to watch it but you can't look away.

I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Remarkably, I'm not only talking about this one instance.

It's amazing, then, that everyone else is weighing in against you.

I don't think you'll see me use a tone like this with Juni or Gary.
So you get your answer. :)

The best is when they're going at eachother. It's like a condescension overload, or a train wreck. You don't want to watch it but you can't look away.

I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.

Oh my.... :handclap::laugh::popcorn:

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland

Fair enough :laugh:

:thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad