GWT: Champions League Group Stage Round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's cute when you criticize someone else for commenting about a match that he didn't watch and then turn around and say a keeper is not very good based on two highlights in games where he was otherwise strong, and when that keeper plays in a league that - as you remind us over and over again - you don't watch.

Yeah I was going to say that I find it hard to believe he watches Sommer with enough consistency to make comments like that, but eh...what do I know. Maybe he does.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Highlights?
I've seen every Switzerland game in Euro and already two CL games, so who's cute again?
He's sucked in most of these games.

Or maybe you have very low standards for goalies... :dunno: Quite possible since you like to call every german keeper as a stud.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Actually, he made several blunders early, and made some clutch saves later in that Albania game.

So...

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Highlights?
I've seen every Switzerland game in Euro and already two CL games, so who's cute again?

Or maybe you have very low standards for goalies... :dunno: Quite possible since you like to call every german keeper as a stud.

You were watching the simulcast both CL matches (and conveniently missed all the saves he made in those two matches), and four whole matches for Switzerland. Wow. What a nuanced portrait. And yeah, he was excellent in the Euros as I recall.

Funny how just about everyone else here can agree that Germany produces an unusually high number of quality keepers except you.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Actually, he made several blunders early, and made some clutch saves later in that Albania game.

So...

So... as usual you made your mind up comically quickly whether a player was good or not, and every blunder from the players you don't like reinforces those opinions, and every blunder from the players you do like is just an aberration.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Actually never said anything about german goalies.
However, if you think Sommer was excellent at the Euro, then indeed, I would question your judgement.
Then again, everyone but you could see how important Dembélé was last time and that refrained you from ignoring the obvious.

And yes I actually looked PSG on a stream and I have BeInSport for all the other games.

As I said, Sommer can make some excellent saves, but he also makes huge mistakes.

But yeah I'm sure he isn't responsible for Pique's goal... :sarcasm:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So... as usual you made your mind up comically quickly whether a player was good or not, and every blunder from the players you don't like reinforces those opinions, and every blunder from the players you do like is just an aberration.
Nope, I didn't say Sommer was bad then. I said it now after several games.
But it's probably easier for you to ignore that.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Actually never said anything about german goalies.
However, if you think Sommer was excellent at the Euro, then indeed, I would question your judgement.
Then again, everyone but you could see how important Dembélé was last time and that refrained you from ignoring the obvious.

And yes I actually looked PSG on a stream and I have BeInSport for all the other games.

As I said, Sommer can make some excellent saves, but he also makes huge mistakes.

But yeah I'm sure he isn't responsible for Pique's goal... :sarcasm:

:facepalm: You just did say something about German goalies, namely exaggerating and ridiculing me for thinking a lot of them are very good. Even great goalkeepers make relatively frequent mistakes or misjudgments.

Also funny how I've already watched more matches of Dembele than you've watched of Sommer and haven't gone so far as to say he's "not very good." Did you watch that match or just watch the Bein highlights? I have to think if you actually had watched it you would have kept on arguing with me, since you sure love to argue about petty ****.

Nope, I didn't say Sommer was bad then. I said it now after several games.
But it's probably easier for you to ignore that.

Again, did you actually watch these two Gladbach matches? Like, pay full attention to them? Or were you mostly paying attention to the PSG match, or watching a simulcast, as you've said explicitly or implied many times before these past two weeks?

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Somehow Celtic aren't last in their group.

We've got the best dembele. Hopefully citeh manages to beat monchengladbach in germany. To get a europa league spot wed only need to split the points against bmg. Obv easier said than done.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well, if you come up with Dembélé is not very good, then by all means, go on, I'll keep on laughing.

I didn't say german goalies were bad. I said IF you think Sommer is so great, then it might explain the low standards. I won't comment on german goalies because I don't watch them enough. Though I did see a pretty huge mistake by Leno the other day in european action :D

Anyway, I think my evaluation of Sommer is pretty spot on, since you can't come up with any argument as to why he made huge blunders in City and again tonight, costing his team a point against Barca.
He clearly makes some saves few goalies would make, but makes blunders few goalies would make.
Mignolet actually does the same.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Well, if you come up with Dembélé is not very good, then by all means, go on, I'll keep on laughing.

I didn't say german goalies were bad. I said IF you think Sommer is so great, then it might explain the low standards. I won't comment on german goalies because I don't watch them enough. Though I did see a pretty huge mistake by Leno the other day in european action :D

Anyway, I think my evaluation of Sommer is pretty spot on, since you can't come up with any argument as to why he made huge blunders in City and again tonight, costing his team a point against Barca.
He clearly makes some saves few goalies would make, but makes blunders few goalies would make.
Mignolet actually does the same.

I don't have low standards. What is there to argue? He made the mistakes, but he also had some brilliant scenes in those two matches. The question should be: how do you get from a couple mistakes to not very good? I don't think he's a top 5 keeper, but easily top 15. His goalkeeping fundamentals really aren't that bad, if that's what you're implying.

Sommer is so much better than Mignolet. His mistakes are far less frequent and he's actually outstanding with the ball and in buildup (he is top 5 in that respect imo).

Here's some evidence that his shot-stopping is well above average over a 200+ shot sample, not just a few matches.

CjOI6qVUYAAlapP.jpg

His adjusted plus/minus metrics are also fantastic based on the rudimentary evidence I've seen.

I'd say he was the best keeper in the Bundesliga the season before last, and a lot of people agreed with me at the time. So, I'm very confident in my opinion of him.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Never thought Paris' defense would have trouble against a team with Jonathan Cafu on its starting 11. LOL

Aurier was terrible tonight. Di Maria was better in the second half, but still not as good as last year.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Highlights?

I thought international tournaments and champions league doesn't count when evaluating players?:laugh:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Sommer is better and more consistent than Lloris, for my money. I know someone who is very into keepers that follows them religiously that rates Sommer very highly, and everything I've seen supports that opinion from statistics to the eye test. Literally every keeper makes mistakes here and there.

As DM mentioned very few keepers are better at building out from the back as Sommer. His passing is fantastic for a keeper, and he definitely makes way more great saves than he does mistakes.

Comparing him to Mignolet. Rotfl.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't have low standards. What is there to argue? He made the mistakes, but he also had some brilliant scenes in those two matches. The question should be: how do you get from a couple mistakes to not very good? I don't think he's a top 5 keeper, but easily top 15. His goalkeeping fundamentals really aren't that bad, if that's what you're implying.

Sommer is so much better than Mignolet. His mistakes are far less frequent and he's actually outstanding with the ball and in buildup (he is top 5 in that respect imo).

Here's some evidence that his shot-stopping is well above average over a 200+ shot sample, not just a few matches.

CjOI6qVUYAAlapP.jpg

His adjusted plus/minus metrics are also fantastic based on the rudimentary evidence I've seen.

I'd say he was the best keeper in the Bundesliga the season before last, and a lot of people agreed with me at the time. So, I'm very confident in my opinion of him.
Not very good as in "not VERY good".
Mignolet was an example in terms of style, not in term of ability.
Think Kevin Trapp if you will. He can make some great saves, some amazing ones sometimes, but his gaffes have cost his teams many points.
I guess it's a matter of preference. I like my goalies to be steady and not make mistakes, even if he might not save tougher shots.
It's why I always prefered Sirigu to Trapp for instance.

As for the Lloris/Sommer comparisons... what can I say :facepalm:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Except Mignolet and Sommer are not remotely similar in style either. Please stop.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Except Mignolet and Sommer are not remotely similar in style either. Please stop.
Really? They both make saves not many goalies do, and they both make huge mistakes.

And frankly, given your Lloris statement up there, you should stop indeed :D

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Really? They both make saves not many goalies do, and they both make huge mistakes.

And frankly, given your Lloris statement up there, you should stop indeed :D

Except Sommer is a proactive sweeper who's also one of the best on the planet at playing the ball. Mignolet is none of those things, and isn't as good a shot stopper as Sommer either. Comparing the two is asinine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad