GWT: Champions League Final: Real Madrid/Juventus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
What part of Madrid you from, lad?

My own Bayern are closer than most to Madrid. Barcelona are close too, they have the end product talent, they just need to replenish their midfield. Easier said than done, of course.

joseek.png

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
My own preferred Bayern. The preferred is clearly implied. Besides, it was a common bit of banter to begin with. Saying 'we' is just peculiar.

It really isn't. It's a common way of referring to a sports team that you support because your own interests and emotions are tied into the success or failure of the team.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
It really isn't. It's a common way of referring to a sports team that you support because your own interests and emotions are tied into the success or failure of the team.
Well living in London I've heard it said plenty of times when someone with a Sussex accent goes off about United. It's really common banter.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Well living in London I've heard it said plenty of times when someone with a Sussex accent goes off about United. It's really common banter.

That doesn't make them right. This sport especially has a hardcore group of stuck up fans who think you need to be a 4th generation fan of your local team to actually count, regardless of how much time or money you put into the team you support.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
That doesn't make them right. This sport especially has a hardcore group of stuck up fans who think you need to be a 4th generation fan of your local team to actually count, regardless of how much time or money you put into the team you support.
I think it's a global sport, that's for certain. And money is coming in from every corner and the clubs encourage it.

But I also think the romantic idea of having and supporting a truly local team hasn't been completely eradicated. I've met Germans who are from near Munchen or Cologne but support their own town's much smaller team with ferocity. A friend of mine goes to every Fulham home match, without fail. My former co-workers were all Gooners and paid £4000 for the privilege of being able to purchase season tickets.

There's an element of local support that is undeniable. I'm not local, if I live where I live for even another ten years I doubt I'll ever be local like some of these people. So if one little bit of banter makes them stuck up, I'd rather allow them the latitude to make the joke, as I've seen over the past two years of living here, and I will co-opt it too because it's funny.

The Messi-Ronaldo nonsense here is exhausting anyway. Keep piling on Kroos, if that's your jam.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
LOL at the Kroos narrative.

They are aren't they. And that's just one example from this season.

Yes they are, maybe your eyes are unable to see them. Like this or not, but Ronaldo has always been the better player when stages get high and i'm really surprised if that changes in future. One example and bet you don't find many :laugh:

You probably forget who won everything this season? ;)

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yes they are, maybe your eyes are unable to see them. Like this or not, but Ronaldo has always been the better player when stages get high and i'm really surprised if that changes in future. One example and bet you don't find many :laugh:

You probably forget who won everything this season? ;)

So much wrong with this post it's not ever worth a reply as it'd be like trying to convince a Trump supporter of facts.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
So much wrong with this post it's not ever worth a reply as it'd be like trying to convince a Trump supporter of facts.

Sun seems to be brighter in Madrid at the moment and it seems to be too much for your head. One good game from Messi means absolutely nothing against C.Ronaldo huge performance in UCL. Heres some facts for you bro.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Sun seems to be brighter in Madrid at the moment and it seems to be too much for your head. One good game from Messi means absolutely nothing against C.Ronaldo huge performance in UCL. Heres some facts for you bro.

Like I said, Trump supporter all day long.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
tbf the pish in this thread currently is much more interesting than anything the Champions League-ification of European football will ever produce at any point in the near future

Although I never buy the criticism of referring to the team you support as "we"

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
tbf the pish in this thread currently is much more interesting than anything the Champions League-ification of European football will ever produce at any point in the near future

Although I never buy the criticism of referring to the team you support as "we"

Sometimes you have to put dog back to his place. We win, we won, we are the champions!

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Why are people arguing about Kroos and Verratti?

Dahoud and Weigl **** on both of them and are even better than Modric.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
...and here's a breakdown of Ronaldo vs Messi all time champions league goals...

Group Stage-
Ronaldo-51
Messi-57

Round of 16-
Ronaldo-17
Messi-21

Quarter finals-
Ronaldo-20
Messi-10

Semi finals-
Ronaldo-13
Messi-4

Final-
Ronaldo-4
Messi-2

Reactions: Hot Pockets

Billy Crawford

Dec 23, 2008
Paris...ish...
To whoever brought Messi vs Ronaldo in this UCL final thread, I hate you.

Real Madrid were very impressive last night, as they've been all year long for the most part really. Definitely the best team in the world right now. Good tactician or not, Zidane has been a great manager for this team and the rotation thing was key to their success. I suspect more top teams will now increase their player rotation after witnessing Real's season. I'm all for it as I am sick and tired of top players playing Euro or WC completely gassed and then being disappointments.

I can't help but feel sorry for Buffon though. One of the best ever, and the guy just can't win UCL. Shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad