GWT: Champions League Final | June 10, 2023 | Istanbul | Manchester City-Inter Milan

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Again, you're just focused on a small minority of pundits or Evilo's posts because god forbid anyone say something negative about him. You are indeed acting like Pep never gets any credit despite him being widely regarded as the top manager.

Maybe someone will write a headline to appease you: "World's top manager finally overcomes the odds to win UCL after 13 years of disappointment with 3 super teams and endless money."

Life advice for you -- ignore the vocal minority.

No, I focused on the pundits/commentary I was exposed to and it was a notable enough % of them. As for @Evilo’s posts, that was just an example I used. There have been more over the years and more since I last posted in this thread. And no, I’m not acting like Pep never gets credit.

Life advice for you - actually read what you’re responding and so you’re not attributing things to others that aren’t false.

Haaland’s post game interview was impressive

Yep, already touched on this. Very impressed by the kid.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You can hate City and their ownership but still respect Pep's managing prowess. I'm not saying he can't be criticized (in fact I've said the opposite in this thread), but he does play the most attractive style of football and has been very innovative in his tactics. There's been numerous other managers that have had bank rolled teams that play boring football.
I think Pep is arguably the best coach ever.
Doesn't change the fact he's underachieved in the CL ever since he left Barcelona.
Denying it is ridiculous, even after this piss poor final.
He's not beyond critism and I don't understand the way some people here won't admit it.
Also comparing City's financial power with anyone else (including PSG) is laughable.

Reactions: BrokenFace

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Inter should leave him and Douche Face in Istanbul

Picture Inter going broke over their obsession with that player...

I didn't watch the game, it's just way too late to care about it (except if your team's in it). Football needs to stop at the end of May.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I think Pep is arguably the best coach ever.
Doesn't change the fact he's underachieved in the CL ever since he left Barcelona.
Denying it is ridiculous, even after this piss poor final.
He's not beyond critism and I don't understand the way some people here won't admit it.
Also comparing City's financial power with anyone else (including PSG) is laughable.
I mean, PSG had the three highest paid players in UEFA...

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Inter pulled some chances out of their asses at the end...with Gosens almost leveling himself twice and flicking a ball on into the 6yard box...but that all happened after City had already taken the lead. So at worst it would've sent things into extra time, at no point were they at risk of losing the match.
First half, Ederson is waaaay off the net but Barella from decent position didn't serve Lautaro, instead shot completely missing. Not a superb chance but a "what could have been".
Akanji I think made a backward pass and Lautaro got it, but instead of serving Lukaku or the coming Brozovic, chose to shoot from an impossible position with the keeper one metre from him. Yes, they DID risk to get scored on. And no, our chances weren't out of our asses, Inter can surely play and it showed. The super team everybody is talking about won as expected but didn't do squat aside of Rodri and Foden (stopped by Onana). That was it, don't even mention the only shot Haaland got on target, I could have stopped it too while eating a pizza.
If anything, in pure Guardiola style, they got a lot of ball possession but couldn't do anything with it. Props to Inter for countering egregiously the supposedly super team.
Get your facts straight at least.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Scrolled a bit and not a single person even dare to think that City played like that because MAAAAAAAYBE Inter strategy was NEARLY perfect and Inter isn't as mediocre as it's thought. Nothing to write home about I agree, but they showed why they were up there.

As for chances out of their asses, City's goal was as "out of their asses" as it can be. :devdance:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Scrolled a bit and not a single person even dare to think that City played like that because MAAAAAAAYBE Inter strategy was NEARLY perfect and Inter isn't as mediocre as it's thought. Nothing to write home about I agree, but they showed why they were up there.

As for chances out of their asses, City's goal was as "out of their asses" as it can be. :devdance:

Literally my next post after the one you quoted...
[...]and Inter defended great for 60ish minutes.[...]

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

I would definitely agree that Inter's strategy worked very well to counter City, and indeed mentioned this eventuality before the game. Unfortunately for them, just countering the other team is not sufficient to win and their attacking actions often looked panicked and improvised. City's looked a lot more composed and it was hard not to feel like a goal was inevitable at some point.

Reactions: cgf

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Akanji I think made a backward pass and Lautaro got it, but instead of serving Lukaku or the coming Brozovic, chose to shoot from an impossible position with the keeper one metre from him.
Lukaku wasn't subbed in until near 60 minutes.
That play was in the first half.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
No, I focused on the pundits/commentary I was exposed to and it was a notable enough % of them. As for @Evilo’s posts, that was just an example I used. There have been more over the years and more since I last posted in this thread. And no, I’m not acting like Pep never gets credit.

Life advice for you - actually read what you’re responding and so you’re not attributing things to others that aren’t false.
Lol ok. Again, maybe just enjoy the positive things once in a while.

First half, Ederson is waaaay off the net but Barella from decent position didn't serve Lautaro, instead shot completely missing. Not a superb chance but a "what could have been".
Akanji I think made a backward pass and Lautaro got it, but instead of serving Lukaku or the coming Brozovic, chose to shoot from an impossible position with the keeper one metre from him. Yes, they DID risk to get scored on. And no, our chances weren't out of our asses, Inter can surely play and it showed. The super team everybody is talking about won as expected but didn't do squat aside of Rodri and Foden (stopped by Onana). That was it, don't even mention the only shot Haaland got on target, I could have stopped it too while eating a pizza.
If anything, in pure Guardiola style, they got a lot of ball possession but couldn't do anything with it. Props to Inter for countering egregiously the supposedly super team.
City had the best 4 chances for the first ~70mins of the game.
- Bernardo chance that went inches wide of goal​
- Haaland chance that was certainly not an easy save, but he could have done better​
- Rodri goal, which was very well placed by him​
- Foden chance where he should have probably scored​
Inter defended really well by applying constant pressure on City's midfielders whenever they got the ball and basically didn't allow any service to Haaland. But they really only created their own chances after they were forced to open up after Rodri's goal. Inter probably had the best chance of the game (Lukaku header straight at Ederson), but City produced a lot more quality chances than Inter.

Reactions: maclean and cgf

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Inter s gameplay would have worked better if it weren't such an old team. Once the energy wore off City had them.

Reactions: cgf

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Inter s gameplay would have worked better if it weren't such an old team. Once the energy wore off City had them.
I don’t even think it was that.

Inter lost because they were terrified of the ball in every big moment. City played scared all game too but Inter was horrified. Rodri goal was a typical City goal that they’ve scored a billion times under Pep. Inter covered it completely wrong too. If you look at they buildup for that, Inter collapsed and Everyone had their backs to Rodri. Inter wins that game with more composure. They continually got into good positions and then pooped their pants

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And still, they fielded the three highest paid player in Europe last season.

PSG has no room to complain about financial advantages.
Which hardly refutes my point.
PSG has sold depth for years to get big salaries to fit.
PSG has every right to complain not being able to spend all they want like others do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad