News Article: Chad Drown, Head Athletic Trainer of Condors, charged with felony offences RE contacting minor to commit sexual offence (fired by team)

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
The virtue signaling on Twitter sure is something else. Great ammo for leafs/flames fans....

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Chris Drown, go f*** yourself and go to jail you piece of shit. Organization took care of this swiftly and appropriately.

Of course, I don’t doubt Oilers haters will use this to take cheap shots at us. I wonder if the Leafs contingent of those haters realize that the Leafs had a literal pedo ring run out of their arena for like a decade and controlled by an employee of their team.

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
That’s what you got out of this?

What else is there to get out of it outside of stating there's an obvious problem? Just noting the fact that people take this news as immediate greenlight to go trash the Oilers as an organization is unfortunate for the bulk of the organization who are not committing sex crimes.

Sorry for the lacking the insight apparently required to post in the thread....

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
It unfortunate but please let's not push this.let it be locked.

saywhat-huh.gif

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
What else is there to get out of it outside of stating there's an obvious problem? Just noting the fact that people take this news as immediate greenlight to go trash the Oilers as an organization is unfortunate for the bulk of the organization who are not committing sex crimes.

I mean I don’t think you’re wrong. It was just a poor original post that could be interpreted as you thinking some idiots on Twitter are the bigger problem here.

Just here to help.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Unfortunately, not just hockey.
I want to like this but it really is sad but true. So how can I like something that is so awful? Need to find an Island and do want England used Australia for. Dump all the sexual offenders somewhere...North pole give them a shelter and food for 2 years. Probably given them too much.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Thanks for clarifying your post.

Given that you were responding to a tweet about the firing (not retweets, etc), your post could easily be interpreted as suggesting that the tweeting of the firing by the organization was nothing more than "virtue signaling". Obviously it was more substantive than that.

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
Ah yeah I see how my initial post could come across. My bad guys -- didn't mean it to be shallow or imply the Oilers were the ones virtue signaling at all. They handled it the only way they could and swiftly..

I guess for me the situation is just gross and dark and I found it disturbing how so many comments were from other fanbases using the situation for cheap internet shit talk.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Unfortunately the hockey comment is apt. Sports, and particularly sports that enable young players to be playing and living out of town, they empower this and the creeps are attracted to it like flies. The aspect that most abets this pedophilia in sports is that young players/athletes are living AWAY from home and with this starting at far too young an age.

Athletes living with parents will generally report and alert something. Athletes living far away from home are much more susceptible to manipulation, threats. They get overwhelmed and without parental support. This has been the backstory for decades.

jmo that rethinks need to occur regarding Junior hockey. Eliminate the draft, have players play at home in catchment areas and under the direct watch of their own parents overseeing. This gives the pedos less opportunity to groom and control young athletes.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Unfortunately the hockey comment is apt. Sports, and particularly sports that enable young players to be playing and living out of town, they empower this and the creeps are attracted to it like flies. The aspect that most abets this pedophilia in sports is that young players/athletes are living AWAY from home and with this starting at far too young an age.

Athletes living with parents will generally report and alert something. Athletes living far away from home are much more susceptible to manipulation, threats. They get overwhelmed and without parental support. This has been the backstory for decades.

jmo that rethinks need to occur regarding Junior hockey. Eliminate the draft, have players play at home in catchment areas and under the direct watch of their own parents overseeing. This gives the pedos less opportunity to groom and control young athletes.

I would tend to agree with your sentiment, but I think you'd need to take a serious look at the stats first, and I'm not quite sure they exist.

Frankly, the most likely person to sexually assault anyone is their own parents / step-parents. As messed up as that is.

Even with all the sick bastards flocking to something like junior hockey, maybe the rates of assault are below baseline.

Reactions: bellagiobob

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

I’ve thought about your proposed solution in the past and think it has real merit. However, I don’t think major junior/CHL and the NHL that financially supports these leagues with draft transfer fees etc band clubs that see these players as simply chattels of their business model to drive gate revenue are ready for that step that would put many clubs at risk (Prince Albert, Prince George, Swift Current, western US teams) and also would impact players in major metro areas without enough teams to supply sufficient roster spots for the volumes of potential roster players (Calgary, lower mainland BC).

An alternative would be to have a trul independent ombudsman, not affiliated with the league, who has significant authority to dig into team business and personnel , could work anonymously in the early stages of an investigation etc to give players an avenue to reach out. But even this still puts players at risk and as a deterrent is still much “after the fact” type of approach so has serious flaws as all.

My nephew went to a WHL camp this fall to a team ina different province, 8 hours away from his family, as a 16 year old and because of his maturity (lack of) I was truly concerned about him if he were to stay with the club. He’s back home now playing major AAA and under his parent’s watchful eye.

I wish I knew the answer. These kids deserve an opportunity to follow their dreams and be protected by those that are supposed to be the protectors, and not the predators.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

The flip side of that is a lot of kids have a blast living away from home, and end up with a lifelong connection to their billet family. As mentioned, often parents and families are the worst abusers. Not an easy solution.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I would tend to agree with your sentiment, but I think you'd need to take a serious look at the stats first, and I'm not quite sure they exist.

Frankly, the most likely person to sexually assault anyone is their own parents / step-parents. As messed up as that is.

Even with all the sick bastards flocking to something like junior hockey, maybe the rates of assault are below baseline.
This is a case though where one need look at the statistical preponderence of kids is that they live at home, with parents. so that if stats say that MORE kids get assaulted at home it can be a case due to 95% of kids or whatever living at home. Living away from home is higher risk, and it is for several risk factors whether that be drug use, abuse, being groomed, being sold into human trafficking etc.

Home community also often involves the support of extended family and the chance that somebody could even report. Many children unfortunate enough to be born to pedophiles get apprehended, and those that don't are horrific instances that society can't ever eliminate. You hopefully in society do everything you can to eliminate cases of abuse and sexual abuse. They will always exist. But it doesn't stand from that that society should not do everything possible to make children safer. Including having them living IN their own communites and not in outposts somewhere where they are most vulnerable.

So that you invoked yes but, perhaps without realizing. Sure some unfortunate children get abused at home. This does not mean that society should not do everything possible to prevent it and including much needed revisions in what young athletes the country, or world over face.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The flip side of that is a lot of kids have a blast living away from home, and end up with a lifelong connection to their billet family. As mentioned, often parents and families are the worst abusers. Not an easy solution.
See my reply above. Its not a valid argument. Just because unfortunate children get abused at home does not mean that you do the utmost to prevent it happening outside the home or abroad. The logical extent of what you would state could be construed as a "children are better off away from their parents" which is a construct that I don't think any of us would postulate as a generality. Nobody would make that argument in sensible society. (I know you're not stating that, but just elaborating)

The vast majority of children live at home with their parent(s). Of course cases of abuse statistically, would be most often in that habitation. This does not exclude that the best place for the vast majority of children is at home, with their parent(s).

The easiest way to state this is that sordid serial abusers, who oversee whole teams of kids that they serial abuse for decades, and get away with, they don't occur if all those kids are living at home, with parents around the rink seeing and overseeing everything. These cases, that are often serial abuse like Graham James occur OVER and ABOVE those that occur at home, and they happen tragically, and unnecessarily as those can be prevented,

Even at the pro level the Chicago Black Hawks example served notice of how poor screening, detection, overseeing is, and that for some reason its just not made a priority to keep young players safe from harm. Junior hockey programs have often been worse.

Last edited:

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Chris Drown, go f*** yourself and go to jail you piece of shit. Organization took care of this swiftly and appropriately.

Of course, I don’t doubt Oilers haters will use this to take cheap shots at us. I wonder if the Leafs contingent of those haters realize that the Leafs had a literal pedo ring run out of their arena for like a decade and controlled by an employee of their team.
Well you need to take your part of the blame because this wouldn’t have happened if you were paying better attention to what some guy you don’t know was doing to people 3000km from you. Your team your blame.

Man is the hockey community ever filled with a lot of douche bags of all sorts.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’ve thought about your proposed solution in the past and think it has real merit. However, I don’t think major junior/CHL and the NHL that financially supports these leagues with draft transfer fees etc band clubs that see these players as simply chattels of their business model to drive gate revenue are ready for that step that would put many clubs at risk (Prince Albert, Prince George, Swift Current, western US teams) and also would impact players in major metro areas without enough teams to supply sufficient roster spots for the volumes of potential roster players (Calgary, lower mainland BC).

An alternative would be to have a trul independent ombudsman, not affiliated with the league, who has significant authority to dig into team business and personnel , could work anonymously in the early stages of an investigation etc to give players an avenue to reach out. But even this still puts players at risk and as a deterrent is still much “after the fact” type of approach so has serious flaws as all.

My nephew went to a WHL camp this fall to a team ina different province, 8 hours away from his family, as a 16 year old and because of his maturity (lack of) I was truly concerned about him if he were to stay with the club. He’s back home now playing major AAA and under his parent’s watchful eye.

I wish I knew the answer. These kids deserve an opportunity to follow their dreams and be protected by those that are supposed to be the protectors, and not the predators.
Heres another take. Even from a community pov communities that are strong in hockey and raising promising athletes fairly deserve to be seeing the fruition of those efforts close at home. So that there should be no reason that a kid from say North Battleford should have to play in Winnipeg. Many such small town communities are hotbeds for Athletes. The communities support these athletes and it often involves the support of communties in digging deep with expenses and volutenteering in getting rinks built, funded, or other sporting facilities. Raising athletes, its grassroots endeavor. So that the communities raise these athletes and then the larger cities want them as soon as said kids or athletes become marketable commodities you can sell tickets to.

Its wrong imo. As a society we state that adulthood is at age 18. We arbitrarily designate that, but so stick to it. Anybody under the age of 18 who is deemed not to be able to make all their own decisions should not be put into positions where they have to. The general view in society, and legally is that those under 18 require protection of parents, guardians. Yet with athletes we seem to lose sight of this. We make those athletes live away from home in order to pursue their sports. In many cases we require it. The kid playing high level in Moose Jaw should be able to stay in Moose Jaw and play for local teams there. Many of which would be good anyway. The way I see that also makes for MUCH more interesting products and teams. To me its much more riveting if a team from Estevan can beat a team from Toronto and with all local kids. Drafting conttrives results anyway. We're getting off topic of thread but still relevant to my position that youth athletes be allowed to reside at home in their communities.

Last edited:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
This is a case though where one need look at the statistical preponderence of kids is that they live at home, with parents. so that if stats say that MORE kids get assaulted at home it can be a case due to 95% of kids or whatever living at home. Living away from home is higher risk, and it is for several risk factors whether that be drug use, abuse, being groomed, being sold into human trafficking etc.

Home community also often involves the support of extended family and the chance that somebody could even report. Many children unfortunate enough to be born to pedophiles get apprehended, and those that don't are horrific instances that society can't ever eliminate. You hopefully in society do everything you can to eliminate cases of abuse and sexual abuse. They will always exist. But it doesn't stand from that that society should not do everything possible to make children safer. Including having them living IN their own communites and not in outposts somewhere where they are mostly vulnerable.

So that you invoked yes but, perhaps without realizing. Sure some unfortunate children get abused at home. This does not mean that society should not do everything possible to prevent it and including much needed revisions in what young athletes the country, or world over face.

I don't disagree with the additional risk factors, but I think if you do it right those risks are minimized. What it boils down to is basically never have an adult alone with a child, and have all adults in contact with children be trained in observing risk factors and mandatory reporters.

I would also note that a lot of those issues are just as prevalent in their own communities and that we as a society should not be relying on the home and a child's support network to keep them safe. I've had the misfortune of living next to rather poor parents and frankly it's shattered my perception of how safe the average family is.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad