Chabot vs Hughes

Your pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ottawa has the worst goaltending,offense,and aside from Chabot.... Worst defense ...And Canuck heads wanna really do this...Give us a break guys

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
upload_2021-1-28_22-26-56.png

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Canucks fan- Chabot is an excellent defenseman in a really tough situation. Hughes is obviously in a much better situation so it’s tough to compare the two. Hughes has been weak defensively all year but offensively I’m not sure there’s a better defenseman in the league and with his smarts/skating ability I think he can get there (adequate) defensively.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
The reality is, Hughes is always going to be an elite offensive d-man. He's not going to be a two-way d-man with his size or his instincts. I'm not saying he's the next Tyson Barrie, because I don't think Barrie was ever elite at anything.

There's nothing wrong with that, though. Pair him up with a defensive minded player and you're gold.

After years of Karlsson (who was elite on both ends of the ice for about 2 years before the injuries), I prefer bigger, fast skating 2-way D like Chabot. That is the mold of a #1 d-man in my opinion.

Reactions: Dominance

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Im not worried about Quinn's point production , that is good but his defensive play is not great . Internet loves offence .

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
"worst defender in the NHL this year"

there goes dominance's credibility, if he had any to begin with.

He has a huge agenda against American players and prospects. I'd ignore his take as when it comes to Americans he loses all rationality.

Reactions: eviohh26

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Oh no...

It’s called an opinion. I have watched 7 of 9 Canucks games this year and he has been horrible *this year* - an observation echoed on the Canucks board, so...

No need to get uptight.

Amusing considering you go out of your way to shit on American players and prospects while hyping up Canadian players. No need to be so insecure about countries competing with Canada's talent.

Last edited:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Amusing considering you go out of your way to shit on American players and prospects while hyping up Canadian players. No need to be so insecure about countries competing with Canada's talent.
You’re on a sports forum, and you’re going to try to write off someone’s arguments due to bias? As a Canucks fan, striving to defend a Canucks player? Get real.

Reactions: CherryToke

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
You’re on a sports forum, and you’re going to try to write off someone’s arguments due to bias? As a Canucks fan, striving to defend a Canucks player? Get real.

I'm not the one with an obsessive agenda towards disparaging all American players and throwing out hyperboles in here.

Mar 26, 2010
Not a fan of either team, and I take Chabot with no question about it. He has the size and overall is the full package. He is not a defense of liability Like Hughes.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Not a fan of either team, and I take Chabot with no question about it. He has the size and overall is the full package. He is not a defense of liability Like Hughes.
I would never have guessed...

Hughes is not a defensive liability. He's had a rough start to the season but it's hard to put much stock in this year. His defensive short-comings are grossly exaggerated by those who've largely neglected watching him play more than a few games.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Im not worried about Quinn's point production , that is good but his defensive play is not great . Internet loves offence .

Have you watched his last few games? Yes he was terrible in the beginning, no Canuck fan will deny that.

But he's been much much better lately. He was partnered with Myers during his struggles, and it was an unmitigated disaster. Since playing with a much steadier Jordie Benn, he's been just fine.

He is not Chelios or Lidstrom defensively, but he is very smart back there when playing at his full potential.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I love how everyone is posting clips of Hughes from the first seven games of this year. The Canucks as a whole were a tire fire to start the year, both Pettersson and Hughes especially, but they’ve both rebounded very nicely since then.

Hughes is the correct answer here.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I would never have guessed...

Hughes is not a defensive liability. He's had a rough start to the season but it's hard to put much stock in this year. His defensive short-comings are grossly exaggerated by those who've largely neglected watching him play more than a few games.

This is not NHL-level defense. This is not even AHL-level defense. This isn’t making a mistake - every d-man does. This is just bad play.

His offensive talent has never been in question. But the notion that he is good defensively is a joke.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

This is not NHL-level defense. This is not even AHL-level defense. This isn’t making a mistake - every d-man does. This is just bad play.

Hughes has, admittedly, had a poor start to the season (along with most of the Canucks). He was more far capable last season and showed he can play a responsible enough game to make a major positive impact, which is why I'm not worried about his defensive play longterm.

You obviously have some sort of axe to grind with the guy. Do you plan on posting random Twitter clips throughout the year to try and prove your point?

Reactions: Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Hughes has, admittedly, had a poor start to the season (along with most of the Canucks). He was more far capable last season and showed he can play a responsible enough game to make a major positive impact, which is why I'm not worried about his defensive play longterm.

You obviously have some sort of axe to grind with the guy. Do you plan on posting random Twitter clips throughout the year to try and prove your point?
Only if he plans to continue to make plays like that one, and people continue to refuse to acknowledge what is before their eyes. Isn’t that the point of message boards?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I love how everyone is posting clips of Hughes from the first seven games of this year. The Canucks as a whole were a tire fire to start the year, both Pettersson and Hughes especially, but they’ve both rebounded very nicely since then.

Hughes is the correct answer here.

As if Canucks’ fans weren’t running a victory lap based on Chabot having a few bad games on what looks to be a historically bad Sens roster for the last few pages? Give me a break.

Reactions: swiftwin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad