Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Zac Rinaldo signs with the Flames (1 year, $700K, 2-way)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
MacDonald has some small value as a cheap 6/7 but Rinaldo isn’t an NHLer and never has been.
I thought Rinaldo was excellent as a Coyote. Much more disciplined (apart from the one punch) and really a valuable part of the team. In our last preseason game, Tyler Myers was cheapshotting our guys left and right. Jumping in late to scrums and cheapshotting guys whonwerent looking. Also taking huge liberties with his stick.

Rinaldo is the most effective type of enforcer. He doesn’t follow the code. He won’t see Myers doing that and ask him to please fight thank you. He’ll just jump him. He won’t challenge the others teams fighter (no one even has these), he’ll just go after whoever the problem is. Doesn’t matter if the guy is bigger than him or smaller than him. He’ll jump a skill guy. I love it.

If I could clone Rinaldo and keep one in my NHL lineup to play every game in which he’s not suspended, another in the press box for when the 1st is suspended, and another two in minors in the same fashion, I’d be happy.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Our ahl team has been gutted for years with all the graduates.

Not a big deal, kylington is the disappointment at the moment but I think they'll still give him the spot

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I used to despise Rinaldo, but since the majority of the fourth-line players today are bland, I root for him to play in the league. He is not as reckless as he was once was, and I wish he was as it was exhilarating anticipating what he might do.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
At best, they're AHL depth until an injury happens and then they're killing your bottom lines.
Don’t be dramatic. If they get the call before any other player in the AHL it’s because they’re the better option.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There are times when a team's trash ends up somewhere else and fans who had to sit there and watch them could only sit back and laugh. But I've got nothing against the Flames and do feel genuinely bad for them.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There are times when a team's trash ends up somewhere else and fans who had to sit there and watch them could only sit back and laugh. But I've got nothing against the Flames and do feel genuinely bad for them.
For what? that we might have a veteran #7? He's not a great player, but as a #7 he'll be just fine. Especially since on a longer term injury Kylington likely leapfrogs him and plays daily.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
For what? that we might have a veteran #7? He's not a great player, but as a #7 he'll be just fine. Especially since on a longer term injury Kylington likely leapfrogs him and plays daily.

I would just aspire to aim higher if that were the case. Easy to say at this time of year, but the Flames are going to be looking for help at the position at the trade deadline at any rate. Being a #7 sounds good until they play more and coaches convince themselves that veteran experience carries more weight than it should. I don't wish him ill though, the guy was a professional here given all the abuse he took. He just made a lot of easy mistakes that talent couldn't make up for.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would just aspire to aim higher if that were the case. Easy to say at this time of year, but the Flames are going to be looking for help at the position at the trade deadline at any rate. Being a #7 sounds good until they play more and coaches convince themselves that veteran experience carries more weight than it should. I don't wish him ill though, the guy was a professional here given all the abuse he took. He just made a lot of easy mistakes that talent couldn't make up for.
Our coach had Dalton Prout in the same role last year and only used him when needed, so I have faith in Peters in that regard and if signed (the "rumor" is clearly more speculative than anything), I doubt he sees more than 20 games and I agree we will add a depth blueliner by the deadline, just like we did last year when we had a little more depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad