Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Zac Rinaldo signs with the Flames (1 year, $700K, 2-way)

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
I’ve been told by inside sources that Rinaldo has embarrassing nudes of Commissioner Bettman. He is using those as blackmail in order to get annual contracts from teams.

Aug 3, 2010
I’ve been told by inside sources that Rinaldo has embarrassing nudes of Commissioner Bettman. He is using those as blackmail in order to get annual contracts from teams.
As opposed to month-by-month or pay-as-you-go type contracts?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Whatever. Unlikely to see any real stretch of NHL action other than spot duty. Have to believe Quine, Dube, and maybe even some others are ahead of him on the callup list.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why is this guy still in the league?

Seriously. He's everything I thought the league was trying to get out of hockey. He does nothing other than skate around looking to nail someone with their head down.

If the NHL truly wanted to move on from the "old days", guys like Rinaldo shouldn't have a place in the league.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Seriously. He's everything I thought the league was trying to get out of hockey. He does nothing other than skate around looking to nail someone with their head down.

If the NHL truly wanted to move on from the "old days", guys like Rinaldo shouldn't have a place in the league.

The weird thing is that he's probably not even a "dirty" player by his own will, he just isn't physically capable of delivering a clean hit with his frame. I have no idea what he's doing in this league let alone the AHL.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

From everything I have read he's been better the last couple years.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just an FYI, Rinaldo was waived right after signing the deal. He's AHL bound.

Reactions: Rubi

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Not crazy about this signing if he starts the season playing the Flames, but if he starts in Stockton its a good depth signing.

Edit: I just read Lunatik's post that Zak has been waived and likely will start in Stockton. Excellent. Can never go wrong with experienced depth.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Rinaldo has the speed/skill to be a decent 4th liner.... if he wasn't brain-dead.

The suspension for the Girard suckerpunch is the perfect example of it. He layed a textbook, clean open-ice hit on MacKinnon, then without looking (nevermind thinking) he drops his gloves and throws a punch at the nearest person to skate near him. In other words, he was expecting a fight (and threw the first punch) for a clean hit that shouldn't have merited one. If you could separate the player that layed the hit on MacKinnon from the one that suckerpunched Girard you'd have a 4th liner that almost everyone would be happy with -- if you were able to add a bit of scoring he'd even make the 3rd line on a lot teams. But of course you can't do that, he is what he is.

His speed/skill is good enough to impress in the short period that is pre-season/training camp (and get a contract), but the more games he plays the more likely it is that he'll do something utterly moronic and you're left wondering "Why did we sign this guy again?'

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Rinaldo has the speed/skill to be a decent 4th liner.... if he wasn't brain-dead.

The suspension for the Girard suckerpunch is the perfect example of it. He layed a textbook, clean open-ice hit on MacKinnon, then without looking (nevermind thinking) he drops his gloves and throws a punch at the nearest person to skate near him. In other words, he was expecting a fight (and threw the first punch) for a clean hit that shouldn't have merited one. If you could separate the player that layed the hit on MacKinnon from the one that suckerpunched Girard you'd have a 4th liner that almost everyone would be happy with -- if you were able to add a bit of scoring he'd even make the 3rd line on a lot teams. But of course you can't do that, he is what he is.

His speed/skill is good enough to impress in the short period that is pre-season/training camp (and get a contract), but the more games he plays the more likely it is that he'll do something utterly moronic and you're left wondering "Why did we sign this guy again?'
I just love him. I wish so much that he was on my team's 4th line. I am a fan of the Coyotes. They're a youngish, rather physically weak team, without much toughness. Lawson Crouse should not have to be in the position to have to fight someone, if we can help it. I love that Rinaldo does not give a f*** about the code. If something needs doing, he'll do it. Even if that means getting his ass kicked. People forget how small he is. He'll square up with anyone. He's also willing to just straight up jump somebody if the situation calls for it.

You're right though. He has extreme malfunctions in judgement, and his suspension history does him absolutely no favors. He got his discipline really under control, for the most part, apart from the Girard punch, the last few years, though. Other than that calamity, he was keeping his PIMs down, and playing an ultra-agressive, but surprisingly clean game. But he can't help from short-circuiting, and causing a catastrophe every now and then. Personally, I'd be happy to put up with it. I'd take him back on the Coyotes in a second. As a fan, I'd love it if my team always had a player like Rinaldo on the roster.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
FYLqMve.png

Why do NHL teams continue employing this guy? Do they think he's the soccer player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad