Proposal: CGY - TOR

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Flames trade: Kulak (LD) + Stone (RD) @ 50% Retained

Leafs trade: Kapenen

Reasons: Kulak just completed his first full NHL season and there's little room for him to grow in the top 4 with Brodie and Giordano ahead of him, but he's also impeding Kylington and Valimaki from making the NHL, so the Flames would be willing to move him. Stone is a great #4 or #5 D-man on any team, but he's also impeding Andersson from making the jump.

The Leafs have Hainsey and Connor in their line-up, so competition is needed on the Blueline. There's also little chance Kapenen takes ice time away from Brown, Marner, or Nylander on the right side, so he's expendable.

Capwise doesn't hurt the Leafs too much and shouldn't prevent them from chasing Tavares, but does help their Blueline in making that pitch.

Thoughts?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
i'd rather trade a 3rd for stone. a few flames fan don't mind that return

Indeed. I don't want two rookies on the bottom pairing.

I liked Kulak last year and him and Andersson looked great in their two games together. Seems a shame to get rid of him now.

Him pushing for a top 4 spot is not a problem in my mind.

Reactions: MarkGio

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Indeed. I don't want two rookies on the bottom pairing.

I liked Kulak last year and him and Andersson looked great in their two games together. Seems a shame to get rid of him now.

Him pushing for a top 4 spot is not a problem in my mind.
how bout carrick for stone? carrick is cheaper and not a rookie.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Hard pass. Leafs fans value Kapanen highly, very versatile player just scratching the surface of breaking out into a top 6/top 9 forward.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Ya whole reason we want to get rid of Stone is too make room for Andersson. Kylington should get some games and Wotherspoon can sit in the press box.
waive carrick then. he won't count too much against the cap

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Your not going to find a ton of Leaf fans that would want Stone on this team, and to a lesser extent- Hamonic and Brodie.

Only Andersson would get the discussion started if Kapanen is involved. No interest in Fox or Kylington either.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Your not going to find a ton of Leaf fans that would want Stone on this team, and to a lesser extent- Hamonic and Brodie.

Only Andersson would get the discussion started if Kapanen is involved. No interest in Fox or Kylington either.

Leafs are just saying f*** it too playing actual defense hey? Haha, who knows maybe it'll work out.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Leafs are just saying **** it too playing actual defense hey? Haha, who knows maybe it'll work out.

No, defense is a weakness of ours. Stone just isn't a fit here.

We'd take Brodie/Hamonic, but not at the cost Flame fans will want.

Kapanen-Andersson straight across seems to be the most fair and reasonable proposal, given neither side would like what they would give/receive for Hamilton.

And as much of a weakness that the Leaf's defense is, the standard used to measure that is a top 4 team in the league they took to 7 in the 1st round. All that says, is the Leafs defense is not to the caliber of a cup contender.

The Leafs were still significantly better than the Flames at preventing goals over the regular season.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
That's our first 2nd rounder that looks like he might do something for us in like 15 years.

I would be outraged haha.
yeah that's fair, although I have a feeling Kapanen would be pretty well liked in Calgary. he's really fast, skilled, and has some grit to his game. I don't want the Leafs to move him, but I probably wouldn't want to move Andersson if we had him either. he looks like he could be real good

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
All of those D men suck. We want Andersson if you want Kappy.

In terms of playing defense it's Hamonic, Stone, Hamilton, Kulak, and then Andersson. It's not really even debatable.

You guys want the offense Hamilton brings but seem to be forgetting that its only possible because Giordano is an absolute beast defensively.

Just surprised after the playoff debacle you guys aren't going for mistake free defenders.

Like Andersson is going to get severely protected minutes next year. You can do that when we have two pairings that can play shutdown roles. Like I don't the game plan in keep bringing more offensive guys in. Replacing Wideman with Stone was the best thing that happened to the team two years ago.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'll echo that Andersson is the only realistic piece that might fit in a Calgary-Toronto deal. Hamilton is obviously very interesting but the cost is prohibitive, so if Andersson is going to be blocked and Calgary needs a similar upside RH forward then there might be something there in Brown or Kapanen

if not, that's fine too

In terms of playing defense it's Hamonic, Stone, Hamilton, Kulak, and then Andersson.

You guys want the offense Hamilton brings but seem to be forgetting that its only possible because Giordano is an absolute beast defensively.

Just surprised after the playoff debacle you guys aren't going for mistake free defenders.[/QUOTE
I think it's a balance between what we want and the cost to get it. Also think its a bad idea to react quickly to a small sample, Gardiner was a #1 dman from about December to the end of March (in a high-event manner, but he was excellent) and his overall playoff performance through his career is very good and he's coming off the best 2 seasons of his career, so we shouldn't be hasty

There's some good fits out there, but they all seem to come with an asterisk - Tanev is health, Hamonic & Braun have had a measurably bad couple of years, the guys we really want take a core asset to get

so at this point, we're probably better to target near-ready RHD prospects and develop our own. Dermott looked very good and much less prone to mistakes in his own end than Gardiner so if he continues to develop that will help a bunch, Zaitsev had a bad year after a very respectable 1st year so good chance of a rebound (especially if he's used as a #4 rather than a #2), and Liljegren should be knocking on the door in the not too distant future so we shouldn't be short sighted

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad