Proposal: CGY - TOR

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Well, we now know that you don't really follow Calgary one bit, so that's awesome.

1. 40 seconds extra on the Calgary powerplay means less than nothing. Ferland was used as the screen on first unit for about 2 months, and then was the 3rd forward on the second unit post December. The reason his PP time jumped back, was in the last month of the season, Calgary was playing with an AHL squad with injuries piling up at the end.

2. Brown would never, ever, break up the Calgary second line. The 3M line has been one of the best league wide in terms of second lines (And some people even give them overall love).

So, he's not jumping past Ferland. He's not bumping Frolik. He'll bump Brouwer/Hathaway to play with Bennett & Jankowski; something that really won't help Calgary much really, as we need a bigger presence on that 3rd line. Brown is pretty much the same level as those other two kids.
1. measurably untrue - the Flames scored at more than double the rate on the PP than the Leafs did 5v5 (.0957 vs. .0448). It may have been an ineffective powerplay measured against other powerplays, but having an extra player on the ice is a massive advantage

2. again, this is your feeling, you haven't substantiated it. Feeling based arguments are not good ones if they aren't supportable. If Ferland and Frolik are the guys you're talking about, neither is anywhere near a category of saying that his job would not be in jeopardy to a guy like Connor Brown. I don't think it's a given that Brown would bump those guys, but he's certainly in that mix. I think you're losing perspective on why Brown plays where he does here, either of the two guys that he plays behind would be CGY's 1RW with a bullet on day 1, would be going from one of the best RW corps in the league to one of the worst, so to suggest that it's a given that he couldn't move up in a softer pool of competition without substantiating it doesn't hold water for me

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
probably a lot to recoup how badly they got hosed on that deal. he's likely not worth it
Fair enough. I think he would be a good compliment to the puck movers on the Leafs left hand side so if Calagary were trying to shake things up I would be interested in a Hamonic deal. Depends what the Flames would want of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad