Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Ramus Andersson signs extension (6 years, $4.55M AAV)

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
The takes are hot in here in both directions. This is not a steal or a bad contract.

Big commitment to a guy who’s carving out a roll in the top 4 but he’s a good young player. Don’t doubt it will be a fine contract.

Reactions: Ducksauce

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Treliving = wizard.

Also, wonder what this means for the top 4 going forward.

Hanifin, Valimaki, and Treliving, look like locks for the future.

I could see us trading a LD (Hanifin, Kylington, Valimaki) for RD. Generally RD are harder to find though

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
By far the best Flames defenseman this year and was solid last year.

Anyone saying this is a bad deal is on crack.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
LOL

Plays over 19 minutes a night and is one of our best possession dmen. Fat chance.

Love this contract.

Didn't realize that d-men who play up to 24 minutes a night are considered bottom pairing.

I mean....he's 5th among Flames Defensemen in TOI/GP this year and all of them have played at least 39 games

someone math out how many Defensemen are on the top 2 pairings for me

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
The takes are hot in here in both directions. This is not a steal or a bad contract.

Big commitment to a guy who’s carving out a roll in the top 4 but he’s a good young player. Don’t doubt it will be a fine contract.

Carved.

He can handle top pairing and very solid #3/4.

He’s also projected to increase his point totals this year. Which I like as a young player.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I mean....he's 5th among Flames Defensemen in TOI/GP this year and all of them have played at least 39 games

someone math out how many Defensemen are on the top 2 pairings for me

19-20 minutes is #4 minutes on most teams. Our right side has been pretty evenly split in playtime this year.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The only cause for concern with Rasmus anyone can have is that he's a bit slow off the mark -- if he gets a long-term LBI that affects his mobility, there's a chance he could turn into Olli Maatta.

But other than that, he's awesome. Once he earns more ice-time, the offense will come through as well

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Love this deal for Calgary I’m always impressed with Andersson when I watch him.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Good deal.

Does this rule out a brodie/hamonic return to Calgary?

They are for sure protecting their best defenders in Gio, Andersson, hanafin(though he has had a down year this season).

With other young guys in kylington and valimaki who may need protection (not entirely sure?) Ot doesnt seem like those two are a fit moving forward. Good news I guess if that the case for teams looking for top 4ish defenders in UFA.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
His TOI doesn't really matter. He's trending upwards in a hurry. 6 years takes him to 30. I'd be fine with this if he doesn't improve. If he improves this will be a steal.

Hamonic really doesn't fit on the team any more. Hanifin and Rasmus should be an excellent 2nd pairing next year.

Not even sure how Valimaki is going to get his minutes but he should be fine on the 3rd for a year. Not a bad problem to have.

Reactions: kevrondl

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
In 2 years people will be talking about what a great contract this is. Kid is already solid and is far from done improving

Reactions: kevrondl

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Good deal.

Does this rule out a brodie/hamonic return to Calgary?

They are for sure protecting their best defenders in Gio, Andersson, hanafin(though he has had a down year this season).

With other young guys in kylington and valimaki who may need protection (not entirely sure?) Ot doesnt seem like those two are a fit moving forward. Good news I guess if that the case for teams looking for top 4ish defenders in UFA.

One of Brodie or Hamonic are 100% gone. I'd guess Hamonic as Brodie is much better but depends on contract demands. They might not want to pay Brodie or give him term.

I've pretty much accepted that we will have to give up a 2nd or something for Seattle to pick some non essential

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Always liked him as a player and been high on him. Some risk giving him a 6 year deal, but probably even more reward if he outperforms it.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
It's a low caphit for the upcoming era. Projection contract where they expect him to continue on his current road, perhaps a real solid #2 and try to get that on the cheap.

Reactions: 1989 and BHD

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
One of Brodie or Hamonic are 100% gone. I'd guess Hamonic as Brodie is much better but depends on contract demands. They might not want to pay Brodie or give him term.

I've pretty much accepted that we will have to give up a 2nd or something for Seattle to pick some non essential
True that seems like a pretty good choice. Having Anderssonn/valimaki/kylington/hanafin is a nice young core of defenders. If Gio can stay a top 4 defender for 2-3 more years they will have a go to guy for veteran leadership.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
True that seems like a pretty good choice. Having Anderssonn/valimaki/kylington/hanafin is a nice young core of defenders. If Gio can stay a top 4 defender for 2-3 more years they will have a go to guy for veteran leadership.

Ya they're betting on Hanifin and Valimaki being able to fill the gap that Gio leaves as he declines.

I'm pretty optimistic he'll be an excellent defender till 39, just with some speed problems. With a complimentary partner I think he'll be fine.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
2018-19 > 2019/20

Rel CF%: -3.91 > 1.29
Rel FF%: -4.35 > 2.42
Rel SF%: -4.34 > 3.69
Rel SCF%: -2.95 > 4.97
Rel xGF%: -3.03 > 1.88

Massive improvement this season compared to last. Flames banking on continued improvement.

Improved individual rates as well this season.

Just suffering from a super low IPP (22.22 vs 31.25 last season) and oiSH% (7.9% vs 9.8% last season) which has led to a very low total assists/60 (0.17/60 compared to 0.77/60 last season).

Goal, chance, etc.. rates are all up.

Not to mention he’s 9th among defensemen in RAPM xGA/60 since he entered the NHL.

So pumped about this deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad