Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Ramus Andersson signs extension (6 years, $4.55M AAV)

spfan

May 4, 2009
This is the most "I checked out hockeyDB, let me make a hot take here." post on this thread.
#greatwork #congrats

hockeydb doesn't show TOI.
And I never claimed Andersson is good or bad.
But people were contradicting each other in saying he's a top 4 and some saying he's top pairing.
He plays 20+ mins sometimes, but he played less most of the time. Hence why 4 other d-men on their team average more ice time. Thus making him not top 4 at this current point of his career. Him hardly getting PK time also shows they trust 5 other d-men more than him.
I'm not saying he can't grow, but right now he doesn't look worth this pretty big contract. The length and salary per year.
He also gets easier match ups. He's not facing top lines. Giordano is.

I can compare him to a player on my own team. John Marino. Also a RHD who is on the 3rd pairing most of the time. But his point production is better and also trusted with PK time. And it's not really a lack of depth. He's playing behind Letang and Schultz. Heck, he wasn't even supposed to be a regular on the team, but he worked his way on it and earned more ice time. But I'd even worry about him getting a contract like this, this early on.
I get you have to overpay a lot, but this also ends up with bad contracts a lot too.
Look at Subban right now. Everyone claimed how Habs made a huge mistake trading for Weber and letting go of Subban because of age. Weber looks far better right now still. Contracts can end up looking bad.
Andersson is young though. I'm not claiming he can't progress from here. Just think this is a fairly big gamble.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The only reason Andersson isn't regularly playing with Giordano is because of TJ Brodie has played exceptionally well this season and even better since Bill Peters was punted. If TJ is traded, Andersson will be the guy on the top pair. If TJ is kept and Hamonic traded, I expect Rasmus will play with Hanifin.

Not playing on the PK isn't an accurate measurement of value. All things will happen in good time.

In Letang went down, could Marino play the minutes? Maybe and if he can or has good for him. He'll be deserving of a comparable contract.

There is no doubt about it. For Flames fans that have watched this kid regularly, this is a very good signing.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Love Ras. Hope he keeps progressing. This deal is a bit much for his base numbers but I assume its built in with the development in mind. If he keeps on progressing, this is a very solid deal.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I watch a lot of hockey and I have no idea who that is. Six years?!

After a quick search... 1.5 seasons and a 20 point defenseman at this point earns six years???

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
NHL TV is a spectacular investment.

“I checked his stats and he’s pacing for 20 pts”.

If you followed Calgary regularly, you’d know why we are all high on him. This is a great contract unless he regresses (which is always possible, but risk is outweighed by reward imo).

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

If you followed Calgary regularly, you’d know why we are all high on him. This is a great contract unless he regresses (which is always possible, but risk is outweighed by reward imo).

a) read the posts in full before lashing out in defense
b) You incorrectly used " "....

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Seems a bit high. But the 6 years helps make it a fair deal.
A bit of a rough off season for Treleving but generally I think he’s done a decent job.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

you got that right!

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
you got that right!

Yes. Now stop hating on Skjei ffs, idk why rangers fans want him gone. Guy is an absolute beast.

a) read the posts in full before lashing out in defense
b) You incorrectly used " "....

Quoted your post directly, idk how that is incorrectly used, and it’s hardly lashing out to question how much you know when you have to check his hockeydb page to figure out who he is.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I watch a lot of hockey and I have no idea who that is. Six years?!

After a quick search... 1.5 seasons and a 20 point defenseman at this point earns six years???
If you watch a lot of hockey, and in this case watch the Flames more than a few times a year, Andersson is a guy that should get. There are games that are more noticeable than others with him but he is very consistent in being poised and rarely making a mistake. He is the kind of guy that goes under the radar but if you watch a few games in a row you notice his poise and calmness. Six years is a bit risky due to the fact he's 22 and might regress but the NHL is moving towards youth and taking a risk on a guy who has shown every sign of being a great player will get signed up on a longer term contract where the guy gets guaranteed money while the team hopes he will grow to outplay the money being paid to him. Not a new concept as far as I'm aware.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
13941DB2-5C35-434F-A1AC-75934A584397.gif

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Eh, maybe a small risk but if you're taking a risk you might as well take it on a young Swedish D-man. Dude is a good player right now and I can't imagine him getting any worse over the next 6 years.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
My issue is Hanifin's deal got the same response and he has been meh this year. Not a fan of these deals off the ELC for D that haven't solidified themselves as a top pairing D.
You learned something from the Zaitsev contract?

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
You learned something from the Zaitsev contract?

If they solidified themselves as top pairing D they wouldn’t sign for 4.5 long term so that post doesn’t really make sense. 4.5 is second pair money

Edit: I don’t know why I quoted you. Meant to quote the post you quoted

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad