Proposal: CGY/PIT: Mangiapane for Simon

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The Flames get a skilled young forward to help their team now who can play LW/RW as required.

The Pens get a skilled young LW who had trouble scoring in the NHL last year but produced well in the AHL and is waiver-exempt so he can develop there until he's ready.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't really see a point for the Penguins making this swap, to be honest. I guess it's nice because Mangiapane can be sent to the AHL? Eh, that's about it.

Reactions: Morrison

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sounds like Simon is worth more based on your descriptions.

I dunno. I think they're pretty even, all things considered.

The Pens could use a more roster flexibility with their recent signings and I assume the Flames could use a more established young winger who can play RW (assumed Mangiapane hasn't).

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
No thanks from Pittsburgh. I think Simon is a little better player (not so much that the value would be vastly different), we have Simon working with Crosby this summer and there isn't enough to AM's game to make me want to move Simon...the enticement isn't there...I'm sure the trade value isn't dissimilar right now though...

Reactions: Riptide

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Nah, the Flames' top 9 is set and there's already more than enough 4th line guys fighting for spots. They need Mangiapane's waiver exemption status too.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Simon can play in the NHL. I don't think Mangiapane can.

Based on his 4 career goals playing with Crosby?

The Flames have plenty of players and no cap space...so no thanks, flexibility is good for them.\

BTW, neither Simon nor Mangipane has proven anything other than some potential

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Seen both play a lot. Seems like a trade just for a trade. Flames have no room for either one on their roster at the moment.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I won't pretend I know anything about this Simon cat, but if he's not waiver exempt, it doesn't make sense for the Flames either

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Nah, the Flames' top 9 is set and there's already more than enough 4th line guys fighting for spots. They need Mangiapane's waiver exemption status too.
pretty much, I think 13 of the 14 forward slots are spoken for. The only battle IMO will be if someone can supplant Hathaway from the #14 spot by pushing someone down in the lineup.

Dubcanesfan

Jan 6, 2016
Looks fairly even, although Simon does have the NHL experience that mang doesn't have as much of. Both teams may as well keep each player and see how it goes.

Dubcity

Feb 4, 2018
Flames will gladly keep Mangiapane. 2nd year in AHL puts up same amount of points Simon did in 31 less games.
He had no NHL success in large part to playing 4th minutes with Matt Stajan, Curtis Lazar and Troy Brouwer. Plus with Czarnik now in the fold there is no room for another tweener who can't be sent down without waivers (ie Klimchuck, Hathaway)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't think Simon fits on a full roster. Would be nice to get an equal prospect back who is waiver exempt.

I would wait until after camp and maybe the pre-season...but in general, I'd do it.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Neither does this.
Mangiapane performed much better in the AHL and is younger and Simon has outproduced Mangiapane over a small sample size in the NHL.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
doesn't make sense for either team in my opinion
Agreed. Simon is better now. Mangiapane is more hit or bust and is more cost controlled. The Flames are good for depth right now. If anything they may need to move a player like frolik.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
He's a great AHL player. Very small. Has yet to see a true NHL opportunity. Shades of Gaudreau.
I looked him up; he's not that small. I was expecting, like, Nathan Gerbe size or something. He's basically the same size as Crosby. Is he fast?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad