Proposal: CGY/NJD

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I thought Jersey would have traded for Markstom by now. Might have waited too long, Devils 7 points out of wild card spot.

Price usually goes up in summer as more teams to bid on him.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I thought Jersey would have traded for Markstom by now. Might have waited too long, Devils 7 points out of wild card spot.

price goes down, no pressure to get it done in small window. There will be more picking too. 5 pts to catch Philly BTW, still an uphill climb no doubt with a game in hand and they still have to play each other late in the season. G isnt the problem rn (it was), scoring and D is latest ish.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

Your blanket statement about the price going up in the summer is very contract dependent, most teams the Devils included would give up more for 3 shots at the Cup with Markstrom over the 2 they'd get in the next offseason.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Fitz really should have made the trade

You don't know what the moving parts were. Given all the problems NJ has beyond goaltending right now, I don't think giving away years of cost controlled Holtz plus a first round pick and then some prospect(s) on top of that was worth it. Let's assume NJ added Markstrom and had another 5-6 points in the standings. Maybe they claw their way to a wildcard spot or third in the division. They have numerous other problems and it's hard to see them making a serious run. Maybe in the offseason. There is a reasonable range that the goalie should bring in a trade, and if Calgary demands more than that, it's not surprising that a team which isn't really for all in win now mode would pass. This just isn't NJ's year.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Could they be playing scared because they know they cant rely on their goalie?

I'm not even trying to sell Markstrom, but there's nothing worse than playing in front of goalie your nervous about.
Gs have been good since "someone" called them out. Meanwhile same "someone" is on the side of a milk carton last handful.
D is all over the place as well.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
deadline prices are always >> summer prices

I don't understand how people don't realize that yet
Generally, yes; but this has potential to be he the exception, because the goalie market is always a bit unpredictable because it is always market dependent, due to how few top goalies are in the league

Calgary's situation won't be different, we're going to have a top end goaltender with term. The only other available top end goalies will be Saros and maybe Ullmark. There will still be no great options on July 1, but there will be teams that can bid for a goalie that can't at the deadline because of expiring contracts and buying players out. Suddenly NJ has a lot more competition for a starting goalie than they do today.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Generally, yes; but this has potential to be he the exception, because the goalie market is always a bit unpredictable because it is always market dependent, due to how few top goalies are in the league

Calgary's situation won't be different, we're going to have a top end goaltender with term. The only other available top end goalies will be Saros and maybe Ullmark. There will still be no great options on July 1, but there will be teams that can bid for a goalie that can't at the deadline because of expiring contracts and buying players out. Suddenly NJ has a lot more competition for a starting goalie than they do today.

If a team wanted to offer up something of great significant he would have been traded already . That’s not going to dramatically change in the summer. If you thought your statements were correct you would have moved on trying to shill to some other fanbase. If he plays well Calgary can get the same type of offer in the summer but show me the teams that can say they are literally one goalie from cup contention?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If a team wanted to offer up something of great significant he would have been traded already . That’s not going to dramatically change in the summer. If you thought your statements were correct you would have moved on trying to shill to some other fanbase. If he plays well Calgary can get the same type of offer in the summer but show me the teams that can say they are literally one goalie from cup contention?
I never said anything was going to change, I'm saying that deadline prices are not always higher for goalies since the market is so small, and this summer especially there are more teams that could use a starting goalie than there are starting goalies available.

As for "if a team wanted to offer up something significant they would have"... what about a team like Toronto? they can't right now, but at the draft when they have over $18m coming off the books in UFAs, they are suddenly in a position to make an offer. Kings will also be in a position to make an offer when they have 10m+ in UFAs come off the books.

I also never said anything about teams being a goalie away from anything. Frankly I don't even know what you're trying to argue there.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Your blanket statement about the price going up in the summer is very contract dependent, most teams the Devils included would give up more for 3 shots at the Cup with Markstrom over the 2 they'd get in the next offseason.
Going to be more teams in on Markstom next summer. Most out of playoffs don't want to trade for goalie now

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

This is the same goalie you were trying to give away not long ago....Let's be honest you know if Devils/Fitz bite now we will get killed in the trade in the summer we will have more choices....At time of talks that first was around 20 overall it's now between 10 to 15 if we continue to drop it could be top 10 where Trotz will and other teams will really want that pick...Not calling for a tank just want new coach first then regroup in summer for a trade....if Markstrom doesn't fix our season u get Holtz and a possible top pick pass...Fitz is stupid if he makes the trade now

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This is the same goalie you were trying to give away not long ago....Let's be honest you know if Devils/Fitz bite now we will get killed in the trade in the summer we will have more choices....At time of talks that first was around 20 overall it's now between 10 to 15 if we continue to drop it could be top 10 where Trotz will and other teams will really want that pick...Not calling for a tank just want new coach first then regroup in summer for a trade....if Markstrom doesn't fix our season u get Holtz and a possible top pick pass...Fitz is stupid if he makes the trade now
I was never trying to give him away, a few short sighted morons were. I personally had no doubt that Markstrom was going to bounce back and was consistently defending him. Good goalies have still bad years, in large part because the difference between very good and poor is razor thin. All it takes is a minor nagging injury, or something important happening at home that causes focus to be less than 100%. Look at Vasi this year for example.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I was never trying to give him away, a few short sighted morons were. I personally had no doubt that Markstrom was going to bounce back and was consistently defending him. Good goalies have still bad years, in large part because the difference between very good and poor is razor thin. All it takes is a minor nagging injury, or something important happening at home that causes focus to be less than 100%. Look at Vasi this year for example.
Another reason for us to use caution not saying NJ will as we have heard they had a deal
In place even then it wasn't the time....The team should wait but he might bite and if he does doing something with this year could hurt us a lot more than doing nothing and regrouping in offseason....Good chance we will have a new coach...Go from there....

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Going to be more teams in on Markstom next summer. Most out of playoffs don't want to trade for goalie now
Markstrom isn’t the only goalie that’ll be available either, in the offseason many of the teams running 2 starters will look to unload one. I can’t imagine Boston wants to do another year of Ullmark\Swayman with Ullmarks contract being up, Florida has 3 guys they feel should be in the NHL as well. Korpisalo wants out of CBJ, Gibson from Anaheim and Saros from Nashville. Calgary isn’t the only team looking to maybe unload a goalie, and in my option they overplayed their hand and will likely get a lesser return than they’ve been offered already.

Reactions: thaman8765678

My3Sons

Sponsor
I never said anything was going to change, I'm saying that deadline prices are not always higher for goalies since the market is so small, and this summer especially there are more teams that could use a starting goalie than there are starting goalies available.

As for "if a team wanted to offer up something significant they would have"... what about a team like Toronto? they can't right now, but at the draft when they have over $18m coming off the books in UFAs, they are suddenly in a position to make an offer. Kings will also be in a position to make an offer when they have 10m+ in UFAs come off the books.

I also never said anything about teams being a goalie away from anything. Frankly I don't even know what you're trying to argue there.
I'm skeptical any team offers much for Markstrom at his AAV unless they see Markstrom as a significant or final piece of a contention puzzle. Maybe Toronto will make an offer worth considering but LA is not likely to repeat what happened with Fiala and PLD. We will see.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm skeptical any team offers much for Markstrom at his AAV unless they see Markstrom as a significant or final piece of a contention puzzle. Maybe Toronto will make an offer worth considering but LA is not likely to repeat what happened with Fiala and PLD. We will see.
Why do you think $6m is a lot for a top end goalie? Other guys of his caliber are getting considerably more.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
6M for a top 5 goalie? You think that's a lot? Do you also think Jack Hughes is overpaid? Markstrom is fantastic value.

Reactions: Nanuuk

My3Sons

Sponsor
Why do you think $6m is a lot for a top end goalie? Other guys of his caliber are getting considerably more.
It's just a cap issue. A team without a top goalie likely doesn't have a top goalie sized slot in the cap or want to commit to that for a new guy. It's tricky. Markstrom has earned all of his respect in Calgary and they are right to pay him. You hope he will fit in NJ but unlike a skater, the failure of a top goalie is likely irredeemable. NJ is trying to juggle its cap for the next couple of years. They likely have some idea of what they will pay Mercer and Luke Hughes. Both extensions would overlap with Markstrom. They can probably create enough space in the offseason but in my view, their issues go beyond a goalie. Sure if Markstrom can be heroic it will make a difference but if you have to ask your goalie to be heroic something else is going on. The Devils were fine last year with Vanacek and Schmid but having issues this year with three goalies. Something is off with their defense more than just the goalie even if that is hamstringing them.

My3Sons

Sponsor
6M for a top 5 goalie? You think that's a lot? Do you also think Jack Hughes is overpaid? Markstrom is fantastic value.
As noted above, it's not so much that he's not worth it, but is he worth it to NJ who didn't budget for it? Markstrom is great, but he's older and as goalies go, many teams just don't pay the position that sort of cap hit. I'm not downplaying Markstrom but the cap is what it is and if it doesn't fit you must acquit, or something pithy like that. NJ has to do some roster surgery to fit him in. Nj decided to build from the forwards back rather than from the net out (which they used to do under Lamoriello) and this is the end result. I also think folks are mistaking NJ's talent with having a team ready to compete. They need more experience to understand how to play consistently winning hockey as a group.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I’m convinced the results would stay the same with markstrom as long as Lindy ruff is the head coach.

Hanifin for mercer is interesting but I think mercer is much better than his stats show.

This team needs a new coach more than anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00