Confirmed Trade: [CGY/MTL] Brett Kulak for Matt Taormina and Rinat Valiev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Does kulak have Kris Russell (pre Edmonton) potential? He was a tweeter with promise for what seemed like a decade before breaking out

Not really sure what he is.
He's too good for the AHL when he's down there. He's not a bad NHL while he's up here either. Good possession numbers, decent skaters, decent offensive instincts.

I really think his ceiling might be a bit lower... really think he looks similar to someone like David Schlemko in this league.

Reactions: CF84

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Does kulak have Kris Russell (pre Edmonton) potential? He was a tweeter with promise for what seemed like a decade before breaking out

Maybe, good skater not flashy which kind of sounds like Russell. Right now he's a safe third pairing D, which on any team is important when it comes to managing TOI of all pairings.

Depends on what "Kris Russell pre-Edmonton potential" means. If it means a 5/6 who can play #4 in a pinch, but you wouldn't want them as your #4 long term, sure, it's apt.

I don't disagree with King in the North's post above, but Russell and Kulak are different styles of players. On your roster, Kulak I think would be more similar to a guy like Schlemko.

Reactions: King In The North

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Personally, I don't like giving up Kulak.

Kulak played 71 games last year and is a good skater. Valimaki and Andersson clearly outplayed him but he is good depth. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the Habs blue line this year.

I do think that it's not a bad idea to develop a good working relationship with Marc Bergevin though.

Oh yes Bergy mucho good business

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Montreal trades a solid AHL defender and a borderline 7d

Calgary trades a bottom pairing d

Taormina makes the AHL team stronger which in turn may make development for young players go smoother while Valiev still provides a bit of body insurance should injuries require a call up.

Montreal gets a bottom pairing guy that isn’t a liability and balances their log jam a bit of almost capable defenders.

Both teams are slightly better because of this trade though Montreal likely gets a bit more benefit imo

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Man, if any more exciting trades happen today I might just, like, blink once or twice more than I otherwise would have today.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Taormina makes the AHL team stronger which in turn may make development for young players go smoother while Valiev still provides a bit of body insurance should injuries require a call up.

Montreal gets a bottom pairing guy that isn’t a liability and balances their log jam a bit of almost capable defenders.

Both teams are slightly better because of this trade though Montreal likely gets a bit more benefit imo

According to his interview with one of the ladies who covers the Flames, Treliving wanted to give him a chance to play in the NHL; he wasn't going to do that in Calgary with 7 guys already in front of him, two of them younger and more skilled.

Montreal got the best player in the deal, but again, we're talking about guys who won't be impact NHL players in their careers.

Reactions: dukeofjive

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I wanted Bergevin to claim him off waivers. I'm happy I got him and clear 2 contracts. It might give Desrpés at chance at a come back and, hopefully, more playing time and a contract to Cale Fleury.
I would like them to give him a shot asap... unless a better defenseman ends on waiver, I can't see how he could be worse than Benn. Benn lost a step and he was already slow...

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Not really sure what he is.
He's too good for the AHL when he's down there. He's not a bad NHL while he's up here either. Good possession numbers, decent skaters, decent offensive instincts.

I really think his ceiling might be a bit lower... really think he looks similar to someone like David Schlemko in this league.

Schlemko is a much better comparison, pretty vanilla player with flashes here and there. Russell had far better offensive skills.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just listened to Freidman on with Calgary's local radio show.
Apparently this deal was almost done in July, where it was going to be a like a 3 for 3 type trade of prospects/tweeners.

Rychel/Shinkaruk were also part of this deal. Funny how things come together and how they take time.

Reactions: Habitant le colon

Booba

Jun 20, 2005

It also clears some room (contract space and AHL roster spot) for Cale Fleury.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Just listened to Freidman on with Calgary's local radio show.
Apparently this deal was almost done in July, where it was going to be a like a 3 for 3 type trade of prospects/tweeners.

Rychel/Shinkaruk were also part of this deal. Funny how things come together and how they take time.

Also kind of funny that Rychel and Valiev weren't even Habs until the trade deadline (acquired with a 2nd for Plekanec). Montreal pretty much started shopping them immediately.

It would also be interesting to know if Calgary wanted them from Toronto.

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
Last time we pick up someone for cheap from Clg it turn out pretty good for the Habs. Bergevin like to take cheap gamble. I like the deal.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
My two favourite teams:

As a Flames fan: hey this could be Paul Byron 2.0 :(

As a Habs fan: hey this could be Paul Byron 2.0 :nod:

Kulak is a solid third pair guy IMO. He will only get better with experience. Such a great skater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad