Confirmed Trade: [CGY/MTL] Brett Kulak for Matt Taormina and Rinat Valiev

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Anyone got a report on the Habs guys?

I liked Kulak, would have been fine with him on our bottom pairing. Obviously you go with Valimaki and Andersson though.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
weird trade. Why does Calgary do this...?

Why not? Kulak clearly believes he is an NHL defensemen and he got outplayed by Andersson, Valimaki, and Prout.

It's far better having a proven AHL contributor in Taormina playing in Stockton than an unhappy Kulak toiling down there. Flames have the depth pieces to make this move.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Too many d-men. Kulak obviously isn't in their plans.

Kulak has been surpassed by Andersson and Valimaki, and we need depth for our AHL defence now I guess.

Arbitration probably hurt the relationship between the player and management. He also got passed by Valimaki and Andersson on the depth chart and got waived yesterday.

He might have asked for a trade or Treliving was doing him a favour to give him a better opportunity elsewhere

I don't get the return though unless they see something in Valiev. Taormina is 32 year old minor league depth piece and Valiev looks like a tweener at best.

Would have preferred a pick as CGY.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Why not? Kulak clearly believes he is an NHL defensemen and he got outplayed by Andersson, Valimaki, and Prout.

It's far better having a proven AHL contributor in Taormina playing in Stockton and a complete wildcard in Valiev than having an unhappy Kulak toiling down there. Flames have the NHL depth pieces to make this move.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't get the return though unless they see something in Valiev. Taormina is 32 year old minor league depth piece and Valiev looks like a tweener at best.

Would have preferred a pick as CGY.

Kulak is looking like a tweener at best as well. He isn't a good young prospect anymore, he's a middling NHL defenseman. You're lucky anyone took him for the depth pieces that the Flames did get for him.

Reactions: Skobel24 and Elvs

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Calgary getting back 2 bodies was definitely the Habs wanting to shed a body.
In fact I almost wonder if the Flames were willing to take the contracts back just to let Kulak have a chance somewhere else.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'm digging all these waiver depth player trades. They remind me of the mostly inconsequential trades people would make just because trading was fun in NHL GM Connected leagues back in the day.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Kulak is a serviceable NHL defenseman. But he got passed by two young prospects this preseason. Not surprised he was traded.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Calgary getting back 2 bodies was definitely the Habs wanting to shed a body.
In fact I almost wonder if the Flames were willing to take the contracts back just to let Kulak have a chance somewhere else.

Kulak is on a 1 way contract, so that's almost a million bucks in real money.

The other guy whose name I have never heard in my life is a veteran AHLer making 350k. I'd wonder if the 1 way money had anything to do with the way this trade was structured.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just a note, Calgary needed veteran bodies in the AHL. Their 1D and their penciled 1D for this year are still in Calgary at the moment.

I think Tre had to cut ties with Brett unfortunately. I think it probably got really shitty in contract negotiation; or he wanted to give the kid a chance elsewhere.

Reactions: Fixxer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad