Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] James Neal (5 years, $5.75M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Rush shots are not the same as odd man rush shots.

Anyways you’ve sidetracked this so far off my original point that I think the Flames would have been better off signing two top 9 type players that fill more roster holes because whoever plays with Johnny and Monny will put up good numbers. Hell Ferland scored over 20 last year. Why pay a ton for Neal and hope he scores 25?

What do you think we did with signing Ryan and Czarnik??? We can't ice 15 players and have 5 lines. Neal is what the Flames needed to be a stopgap for a few years until another RW becomes a top 6 player (excluding Lindholm).

The above post I quoted from you just states that you have not been paying attention to what the Flames are doing.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Well odd man rush shots count in total with rush shots, meaning even if Elliott did face the most odd man rush shots per 60 in the league last season. In total he would have faced like 5-15 extra in an entire season than the goalie that faced the least, which still doesn't excuse his overall play when you consider the fact the the Flames did a great job overall in limiting quality and quantity chances.

No what the stat show is that the Flames did the worst job of limiting high quality chances. The chances were teams score the most.

A rush and an odd man rush are not equally dangerous, so to count them as the same is silly.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
What do you think we did with signing Ryan and Czarnik??? We can't ice 15 players and have 5 lines. Neal is what the Flames needed to be a stopgap for a few years until another RW becomes a top 6 player (excluding Lindholm).

The above post I quoted from you just states that you have not been paying attention to what the Flames are doing.

Czarnik isn’t much more than a fringe player. Why did they sign Neal for so long if they only need him for a couple of years?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Rieder is not in the same universe as Neal at all. The Flames signed a top 6 scoring winger, Rieder is a bottom 6 guy. Neal is a guy who out of his 25 goals and 44 points scored 5 pp goals and 9 pp points, so no he doesn't a ton of pp time, and the reason why Rieder would get top 6 time is not because he has top 6 potential, but because the Oilers have a stunning lack of top 6 wingers.

It’s because of his chemistry with Drai. And scoring almost a quarter of your points on the PP means you must get a fair amount of pp time, which Neal does.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Czarnik isn’t much more than a fringe player. Why did they sign Neal for so long if they only need him for a couple of years?

... Because if you were Neal, you'd want a contract of 5.75m x 5 rather than just for two years? It's not that hard to understand.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Will probably hurt by year 3. But Flames need scoring and this guy can bury his chances. He also sucks to play against lol

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
... Because if you were Neal, you'd want a contract of 5.75m x 5 rather than just for two years? It's not that hard to understand.

No if you’re the Flames you’d want three years instead of five. Not sure how you got that confused.
From what I heard the other offers were for three years. I don’t blame him at all for taking the extra term and extra cash per season.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Because Neal wanted 5 years or more. You really dont know how negotiations and free agency works?

Yes you have to offer more term and money for players who would rather be elsewhere. No one else was offering more than three years from what I read.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
No if you’re the Flames you’d want three years instead of five. Not sure how you got that confused.
From what I heard the other offers were for three years. I don’t blame him at all for taking the extra term and extra cash per season.

Source for the three years? Not trying to be a b, I'm just curious. Just want to know, because the other offer that I know of is Vegas with 5x5. Neal went with the extra 750k.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
No what the stat show is that the Flames did the worst job of limiting high quality chances. The chances were teams score the most.

A rush and an odd man rush are not equally dangerous, so to count them as the same is silly.

Again you keep on mentioning the "stat" show that the Flames did the worst job at lmiting high quality chances, yet I can prove it to you that the Flames were top 10 in scoring chance and high danger chance suppression. Even if what you say is true and they allow a little more odd man rushes, when you consider the fact that in 2016-2017 they were top 10 in every suppression metrics, a few more odd man rushes means jack in the grand scheme of things. It wasn't like they allowed 100 more odd man rushes in a season, and if they did, provide evidence instead of just blurting your obvious bias and ignorance.

Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I am in favor of this future albatross contract as I posted prior to free agency. Every team has them and most teams are paying buyout/retention dollars against their cap. I love this signing. With where we are at with guys like Giordano, Backlund and Gaudreau it is now time to go for it.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Yes you have to offer more term and money for players who would rather be elsewhere. No one else was offering more than three years from what I read.

You are getting really desperate here. And the Vegas offer was $5M x 5 years IIRC

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

LOL...you are still on this and you are not even a Flames fan.

Plenty or sources said he was offered 5x5....yes, I saw that article that his gf denied it then retracted it lol

but whatever make you feel good buddy, Neal is a Flames now. Sleep well

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Why did they sign Neal for so long if they only need him for a couple of years?
For the same reason you guys signed Lucic for 6 years with the thinking he would be good for 4 of them. It's called free agency!!

Hopefully Neal gives the Flames more than one decent season.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
LOL...you are still on this and you are not even a Flames fan.

Plenty or sources said he was offered 5x5....yes, I saw that article that his gf denied it then retracted it lol

but whatever make you feel good buddy, Neal is a Flames now. Sleep well

This isn’t Calgary puck. Fans of other teams are allowed to comment.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He'll be the new Brouwer for Calgary in like 2-3 years.

Definitely a deeper team though...is Calgary going with Neal or Lindholm on top line RW?

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Ryan-Lindholm

Good top 9

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
He'll be the new Brouwer for Calgary in like 2-3 years.

Definitely a deeper team though...is Calgary going with Neal or Lindholm on top line RW?

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Ryan-Lindholm

Good top 9

Probably Lindholm on the 1st line. Neal probably plays with Tkachuk and Backlund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad