Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Flames sign Matthew Tkachuk (3 years, $7M AAV)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Just to try to nip a silly thing in the bud right away:

CapFriendly is showing the AAV as $7.5m/year. They cite a Bobby Mac tweet for it - but that tweet gives the AAV as $7m/year. So if anyone insists $7.5m/year is correct, they need to be informed that it's evidently a tpyo on the part of CapFriendly. They'll probably fix it soon.

EDIT:
Why does capgeek show 7.5 aav?
Damn, wasn't fast enough. ;)

Click on their "source" link for that contract and you'll see what I was talking about above.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Going to be painful in 3 years from now. I'm just happy Marner came with the term at this point.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Does no one understand that this guy'll be RFA by the end of this? Calgary could essentially control Matthew Tkachuk for the next 11 years now :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Haatley and Dumais

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Does no one understand that this guy'll be RFA by the end of this? Calgary could essentially control Matthew Tkachuk for the next 11 years now :laugh:

Not sure that's even the case anymore. These guys go where they want to. If Gaudreau leaves, I see Tkachuk leaving honestly. Our window to win one is three years now.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
He doesn't need mcdavid for those points

8.5 and can't carry your own line
Is their any nhl calibre wingers to carry in Edmonton. Dreiseitl is 1st line on every team other then Edmonton and Pitts.

Reactions: Morrison

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Or he accepts a QO and goes directly to free agency. That is some kind of logical jump to act like Calgary "essentially" has Tkatchuk for the next 11 years.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

Tkachuk can easily take his QO right into UFA. 3 year deals give the players all the leverage. Leafs did not want this with Marner for sure.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
He's not.

Frank Seravelli says Point is making $1.02M MORE Net.

Net is all anyone cares about. It's in your pocket.

Points actual bank account is growing at a rate faster than Matthew's. That simple.
Would love to see Frank Seravelli's calculations on that.

Hell the CapFriendly tax calculator, which basically assumes a worst case tax scenario for the player, says Point's same contract in Calgary would net $-440k.

I swear these tax exaggerations get worse by the day.

ETA: Unless Frank is talking about over the term of the deal, which is a bit misleading.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Guess we are keeping Frolik and Brodie and making another run at it. We won the Western Conference last year so there's worse scenarios.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I'm thinking Laine is going to want $8.5 on a bridge based on this.
...yea, he had an 'off' season but he still potted 30 in a rubbish season (though almost all the goals were in 1 month)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad