Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Erik Gudbranson signs with the Flames (1 year, $1.95M)

Kreator

Feb 18, 2017
Damn, I can’t believe there is this much overreacting rage with Guds.

I thought he played a good role when he was with Anaheim. Really gave us some solid play and ate a bunch of minutes.

you would think with this reaction the guy is like Patrick Stefan or something :mad::eek::confused:

Stefan was a much better player relative to Guddy.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Who cares how bad we play when the opposition is limping across the ice and can barely play.

We're going to have so many friends on opposition teams, we won't know what to do with the attention.

Seriously though... We gonna be penalty box kings.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

Give me a break..

Lucic and Gudbranson are the only players overpaid on that list and it's by about 3.5M combined.. There a significant amount of NHL teams that are in similar or far worse situations. The Gudbranson deal sucks as he's terrible and overpaid by a million, but it's a one year deal.

Let's just look at Edmonton for comparison's sake shall we? Edmonton has 16.75M tied up in the following players

Mikko Koskinen
Zack Kassian
Cody Ceci
Kyle Turris
Milan Lucic (Retention)
James Neal (Buy out)
Andrej Sekera (Buy out)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Which says a lot about a large group of GMs around the league. There are only a few gems out there.

I swear sometimes the average HF poster could do a better job as a GM.

The other side of it, however, is the agents for players (usually a lawyer) are highly intelligent and excellent negotiators. They are almost always more educated and smarter than the GMs they are negotiating with.

I think being in the room negotiating with experienced agents is without question more difficult than people are aware of.

Oilers In Tree

Sep 10, 2021
Edmonton
Who cares how bad we play when the opposition is limping across the ice and can barely play.

We're going to have so many friends on opposition teams, we won't know what to do with the attention.

Seriously though... We gonna be penalty box kings.
No one is going to be limping when literally 1/3rd of the roster are tin cans.

Give me a break..

Lucic and Gudbranson are the only players overpaid on that list and it's by about 3.5M combined.. There a significant amount of NHL teams that are in similar or far worse situations. The Gudbranson deal sucks as he's terrible and overpaid by a million, but it's a one year deal.

Let's just look at Edmonton for comparison's sake shall we? Edmonton has 16.75M tied up in the following players

Mikko Koskinen
Zack Kassian
Cody Ceci
Kyle Turris
Milan Lucic (Retention)
James Neal (Buy out)
Andrej Sekera (Buy out)
Edmonton’s list while on paper looks bad, did a great job getting rid of the net negative players in Neal, Sekera and Lucic who currently is in a leadership role on the flames and most likely the leader of this movement where they are trying to be an 8bit version of the 2012 kings.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
No one is going to be limping when literally 1/3rd of the roster are tin cans.

Edmonton’s list while on paper looks bad, did a great job getting rid of the net negative players in Neal, Sekera and Lucic who currently is in a leadership role on the flames and most likely the leader of this movement where they are trying to be an 8bit version of the 2012 kings.

Edmonton is relying on 39 year old Mike Smith.

Oilers In Tree

Sep 10, 2021
Edmonton
Edmonton is relying on 39 year old Mike Smith.
And he’s been great for us, the team loves him and the fire and energy he brings every night. He deserves the 2 year extension and I would be quite sad if he wasn’t with the team after he retires. Gudbranson on the other hand is a shell and a remnant of the dead puck era in 2021.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
And he’s been great for us, the team loves him and the fire and energy he brings every night. He deserves the 2 year extension and I would be quite sad if he wasn’t with the team after he retires. Gudbranson on the other hand is a shell and a remnant of the dead puck era in 2021.
I'll be sad when he leaves the Oilers too

Reactions: elitepete

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
Can someone please enlighten me on how this guy keeps finding jobs as an NHL player?
He knows where the bodies are buried and has pictures? I guess it will be one of life's little mysteries.

Personally, I think he was brought on to back up Tkachuk doing Tkachuk things.

Reactions: dm1371

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lol. Runs goalies completely out of control is your assessment of McDavids game? The guy who routinely goes full speed at the goalie only to stop and make a highly skilled deke before scoring as shown by countless replays? The guy who’s known as the greatest player of all time at making plays at top speed? That guy? That’s the guy Gio needs to protect your shitty goalies from?
No, the guy who got hurt and penalized running goalies. The guy who gets more calls than anyone in the league and still was penalized on the play. Giordano has to protect his goalie there from a notorious goalie running cherry picker.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Several posts have noted that toughness matters more in the playoffs. While I agree to a point with that statement you have to make it there first.

The Flames have only 2 guaranteed top 4 defensemen. The have lost 4 top pairing defensemen in 3 years.

The only way we make the playoffs IMO is if Andersson bounces back and looks top 4 again and one of our young guys (Valimaki, Mackey or Kylington) takes a step. This is not a team one or two vets away from making the playoffs. This team NEEDS a guy to emerge and just blocked them all with replacement level vets.

They did the same thing at forward. Need someone to emerge and block them with replacement level vets.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I swear sometimes the average HF poster could do a better job as a GM.

The other side of it, however, is the agents for players (usually a lawyer) are highly intelligent and excellent negotiators. They are almost always more educated and smarter than the GMs they are negotiating with.

I think being in the room negotiating with experienced agents is without question more difficult than people are aware of.
I think the hardest thing we don't realize as fans is being a GM in Canada. You're paying 20% more for the same thing and even then half the players won't even consider coming here. It's why every Canadian GM looks incompetent unless the use a draft and develop model.

Reactions: HabsQC

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I’m not doubting it when you guys say he is garbage .I just don’t get how a “professional “ GM / coaching staff / management can want to sign a player like him for that much money?
I honestly asking that as I do not understand it yet you see transactions like this happen at least once an off-season .
Is it a coaches or GM’s ego that thinks “ oh I know what I’m doing , all those naysayers out there , I’ll be able to turn him around . We play a different style game and system and he will fit in perfectly !
Two months later HF thread :Calgary Flames - Gudbranson on waivers for purpose of a buyout
And eveyone on here posts to say “ I knew it the moment they signed him”

I cannot see this working well for the Flames at all unless he is used as a #7 but why pay a #7 almost 2 mil? Scary thing is , he will get a decent amount of icetime then

Well, you are assuming that these 32 GM jobs are filled with the smartest, brightest people. That is simply not true.

Gudbranson was drafted 3rd overall, which carries a lot of capital. You have GMs around the league that thought so highly of him back then. The minute his name comes up, the GM or coach bring up fond memories of his pre-draft, instead of looking at his body of work over the last 10 years.

Also, Sutter is a dinosaur coach who loves dinosaur players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad