Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Erik Gudbranson signs with the Flames (1 year, $1.95M)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Well, you are assuming that these 32 GM jobs are filled with the smartest, brightest people. That is simply not true.

Gudbranson was drafted 3rd overall, which carries a lot of capital. You have GMs around the league that thought so highly of him back then. The minute his name comes up, the GM or coach bring up fond memories of his pre-draft, instead of looking at his body of work over the last 10 years.

Also, Sutter is a dinosaur coach who loves dinosaur players.
He has 2 cups in his last 5 years of coaching which were both in the last 10 years. If that's a dinosaur I'll take it.

I dislike this move, but Darryl is an excellent coach. I was just really hoping he wouldn't have this much input on player personnel.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
And he actually plays somewhat useful role in the team.

Gudbranson is an awful signin on its own, no need to start adding anything else to make a point.
Its not what he asked. The flames have a bunch of questionable contracts now
Not one .

They are apparently going to play to hurt not to win.

Reactions: Oilers In Tree

Oilers In Tree

Sep 10, 2021
Edmonton
He has 2 cups in his last 5 years of coaching which were both in the last 10 years. If that's a dinosaur I'll take it.

I dislike this move, but Darryl is an excellent coach. I was just really hoping he wouldn't have this much input on player personnel.
Life doesn’t work like that, the Kings had the personnel to pull that hockey off and to me it was great. No way the flames can pull anything other than a 17th place finish off.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
No one is going to be limping when literally 1/3rd of the roster are tin cans.

Edmonton’s list while on paper looks bad, did a great job getting rid of the net negative players in Neal, Sekera and Lucic who currently is in a leadership role on the flames and most likely the leader of this movement where they are trying to be an 8bit version of the 2012 kings.
Call me crazy but using cap space and paying these players over $4 million a year not to play doesn't seem like a great job to me!

Reactions: Sam Pollock

Oilers In Tree

Sep 10, 2021
Edmonton
Call me crazy but using cap space and paying these players over $4 million a year not to play doesn't seem like a great job to me!
Of course that’s not ideal but you could double down like the flames just did pretending like those tin cans would add anything positive to the roster. Brad Treliving is cosplaying as Darryl Sutter so hard right now that he thought that this signing was a slam dunk.

Last edited:

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Of course that’s not ideal but you could double down like the flames just did pretending like those tin cans would add anything positive to the roster. Brad Treliving is cosplaying as Darryl Sutter so hard right now that he thought that this signing was a slam dunk.
Sutter loves this guy and even phoned him himself after free agency started, one things for sure, the BOA will be fun this year!

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

It’s 2M for 1 yr for godsake. Not a great signing but the Oilers pay more for Neal and Sekera for many more years.

Reactions: Nanuuk

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not one .

Other than Lucic, what questionable contracts? 1 yr contracts are not questionable. Not for 2M.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
2 million is fine, especially now that free agency is all but over, making cap space essentially useless, that is unless you are adding Eichel or Tarasenko.

But there is another cost of a player besides their cost. It means this is who you are investing in. They could have tried out a more skilled D like Vatanen or Gustafsson but went with Gudbranson and Stone.

Even there, I don't hate it exactly, especially if that's what Sutter feels he needs to execute his system better. I'm skeptical that this works in the modern NHL. But still, if you are going to go with Sutter, who won cups somewhat recently, you may as well go all in with him.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Life doesn’t work like that, the Kings had the personnel to pull that hockey off and to me it was great. No way the flames can pull anything other than a 17th place finish off.
The Kings weren't a playoff team before Darryl and weren't after he left. That roster was no where near as loaded as rosters like Chicago and Tampa. Darryl also took a Flames team with one legit 1st line forward to a cup final. Granted, that team had all world goaltending, but he still did it.

The Kings teams Sutter won cups with had 1 player score more than 60 points in both years and 3 players score more than 50 points. The Flames have 5 guys who could score 60 and 7 who could score 50. He is a top 5 coach in the league without question.

That said, his work as a GM was pretty weak and his personnel input should be limited.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Not one .

1. How many of those questionable contracts are long term? Even Lucic only has two years left, and he can probably be moved in his last year.

2. The Flames, up until this off season, were one is the smallest teams in the nhl. They've lost multiple playoff series by being pushed around physically. Is anyone surprised that Sutter added more size? He did so with the bottom six and bottom pairing dmen. No one expects Gudbranson to anchor the #1 pp unit.

Ledge And Dairy

1. How many of those questionable contracts are long term? Even Lucic only has two years left, and he can probably be moved in his last year.

2. The Flames, up until this off season, were one is the smallest teams in the nhl. They've lost multiple playoff series by being pushed around physically. Is anyone surprised that Sutter added more size? He did so with the bottom six and bottom pairing dmen. No one expects Gudbranson to anchor the #1 pp unit.
Should also be noted that 2 years in a row a team has literally "grit" their way into the finals before running into the dynasty caliber team that was Tampa

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Should also be noted that 2 years in a row a team has literally "grit" their way into the finals before running into the dynasty caliber team that was Tampa
So the Flames some just be Tampa instead of signing Gudbranson? Good advice.

It should also be noted that Sutter has two Stanley cup wins in the last ten years. He always builds a certain type of team.

Ledge And Dairy

So the Flames some just be Tampa instead of signing Gudbranson? Good advice.

It should also be noted that Sutter has two Stanley cup wins in the last ten years. He always builds a certain type of team.
Huh? I was literally adding on to your POV, Calgary has built a team designed for playoffs. Tampa is no longer that same juggernaut as the last 2 years. The point was 2 teams 2 years in a row that were seen as underdogs but were built for playoff style hockey grinded their opponents down and got to the finals. Any other team besides Tampa in that final round would have been a good series, the Bolts were just stacked top to bottom the last 2 years

Reactions: blankall

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
By this logic we can’t criticise a single NHL player in history. Get a grip.
By your logic any player who who signs a decent NHL level contract that you don't approve of isnt a good player ....you dont have to like it , buts its a decent signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad