Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Erik Gudbranson signs with the Flames (1 year, $1.95M)

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Honestly, why did they bothered to even resign Kylington, when flames bring in players like him...from all players; Gudbranson...
holy bees wax Kylingtons stock has fallen. Is he now what? like #8,#9 guy now for the flames?

I would say yes it has . He was waived last year and will again . Plus he likely clears again

Teams like these vets as insurance
Not sure how he got 2 million this late in the year
Should of got the Stone deal but I’m not a GM

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
I remember him bitching about protecting the rookies when he was with the Nucks, as if he was brought it to be something else lol..

and when we finally had the revenge game, he didn't even go after Matheson, fought Haley for no reason. :laugh:

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
The Flames had 4 more points than Ottawa last season so expect Gudbranson to play as well for the Flames as he did for the Senators. In other words he will be bad.
4 points in a shorten sesosn equals about 7 or 8 in full sesosn which could be the difference in a playoff spot or not . He will solidify a bottom pairing in calagry and add some size and snarl. He instantly is a top 6 in calagry. His days is pitt were decent . They just couldn't afford him anymore. He fits calagrys style much better than Ottawa as well. Good pickup with low risk. Calagry was not the only team interested in his services.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
4 points in a shorten sesosn equals about 7 or 8 in full sesosn which could be the difference in a playoff spot or not . He will solidify a bottom pairing in calagry and add some size and snarl. He instantly is a top 6 in calagry. His days is pitt were decent . They just couldn't afford him anymore. He fits calagrys style much better than Ottawa as well. Good pickup with low risk. Calagry was not the only team interested in his services.
Whatever spin you try to put on him the reality is he is not a good dman. He played 26 games for the Penguins over 2 seasons and they liked him so much they got rid of him. He is from Ottawa and yet the Senators didn't want to retain him on a young D core. Nashville had him at the end of last year and got rid of him. Good luck with him!

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Whatever spin you try to put on him the reality is he is not a good dman. He played 26 games for the Penguins over 2 seasons and they liked him so much they got rid of him. He is from Ottawa and yet the Senators didn't want to retain him on a young D core. Nashville had him at the end of last year and got rid of him. Good luck with him!
Incorrect the pens didn't want to grt rid of him but cap issues lead to that. He played decent , actually above what some thought. The ducks said the exact same things. Ottawa can bring out the worst in some players as well. Pitt inquired this off season about him but couldn't afford his contract. You think the flames just decided to throw away 2 mil for no reason in a flat cap world? The reality is he is a top 6 D on the flames now. He won't be a # 1 or # 2 , but will fill in solidly on a bottom pair role. Obviously the flames management seem to think so as well.....

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Oh wow signing at this point in the year and his play the last few years I did not think he’d get this. I imagined 1x1

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
And....oh.... he was a plus player on the pens, Nashville and ducks. Sutter himself reached out to him. Iam not a flame fan by any stretch and could care less how they preform but this was a good signing by them. There were alot of people around Pittsburgh hoping he would return

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If I was Klyington I’d be pissed . Think you FINALY get a roster spot or a fair chance to make the team then they sign two vets on one ways .One guy for the 5th time ….
I know he doesn’t have tons of other options but I’d say “ ok I’m done , I’m going home . Call me if you need me “

Ledge And Dairy

Wow, alot of disapproval here for this contract, even from Flames fans...
Calgary is really beefing up. They might be a mediocre team during the regular season, but this group looks scary for anyone in the playoffs.

On the back end, they added Zadorov and now Guddy. Both big and tall, hard hitting roughneck type defenseman. They also have Andersson and Stone, another pair of players that define the phrase 'not fun to play against'.
Of course up front, they have Lucic, Tkachuk and Ritchie. Milan is still an immovable intimidating force, obviously Tkachuk is one of the elite pests in the NHL, and we all saw what Ritchie did to Khaira last season.
Now they add Coleman, Pitlick, and Lewis. Coleman, an excellent 2-way forward fresh off of winning the cup, Pitlick another hard hitting pendulum that runs into anything that moves and of course Trevor Lewis, seasoned vet.
And Markstrom is still in the prime of his career as a 31 yr old, had an off year but so did the entire team, expecting a huge bounce back seasons from him (and the team).

This team is a sleeper. Most ranking predictions have them missing the playoffs. But I fully anticipate Calgary to be the darkhorse this upcoming season. The Battle of Alberta may re-ignite (if there's fans), and would be a legitimate toe to toe match up with Vegas and Seattle, their two rival teams that are also built to smash
We appreciate your optimism.

When it comes to Guddy though it's more an issue of the cap hit over actually acquiring him. As I stated earlier in the thread he's been a replacement level to below replacement level player the last 4 years, the only time he was above replacement level was his 7 games for Pittsburgh in 19/20, then he was back below in Anaheim. I would have had no issue signing him for 1M and probably been a little annoyed at 1.5M but at just under 2M we are paying him to be something he realistically isn't.

Another thing is Calgary was probably still a legitimate team for landing Eichel and unless we are moving Tkachuk + Dube (or more cap) now it is pretty much impossible to fit him under 81.5M prior to the season start (that includes even if he goes on LTIR since we can't accrue any cap space while using LTIR relief)

Oilers In Tree

Sep 10, 2021
Edmonton

AB9C6447-AFB7-406B-B45F-1B611D7F6C86.gif

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If you can’t beat them then beat them up.

Sutter’s motto

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Zadorov for 4 years, Lucic for 2 years, and other are only for the next season. Those two account for around $9M per year, so basically

"Flames have $7M tied for 6 depth players and one buyout for the next year"

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Oilers are spending around $11M,5 for Kassian, Koskinen, Neal, Lucic and Sekera, and only two are playing for the team.

I bet you could do similar lists for most teams, if you dont look at the context

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
And....oh.... he was a plus player on the pens, Nashville and ducks. Sutter himself reached out to him. Iam not a flame fan by any stretch and could care less how they preform but this was a good signing by them. There were alot of people around Pittsburgh hoping he would return
You are trying too hard to justify him........are you his mama???

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Oilers are spending around $11M,5 for Kassian, Koskinen, Neal, Lucic and Sekera, and only two are playing for the team.

I bet you could do similar lists for most teams, if you dont look at the context

I mean I wouldn't want to try and defend our spending by pointing out the Oilers have a bunch of bad contracts. Treliving has assembled a real who's who of mediocre depth players and we don't have the best player in the world to drag them to the playoffs.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I mean I wouldn't want to try and defend our spending by pointing out the Oilers have a bunch of bad contracts. Treliving has assembled a real who's who of mediocre depth players and we don't have the best player in the world to drag them to the playoffs.

My point is: take 6-7 depth players for any team and you somehow end up with a number close to $6M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad