GDT: CGY @ COL: A Song of Ice & Fire (9:30 ET / 7:30 MT)

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
With how the series played out, a reasonable argument could be made that the Avs win the series if the goalies were swapped.
Sure. And the series also could've been won if Manson and Lehkonen weren't injured, Makar didn't get himself suspended, Nuke didn't go MIA, Compher actually would've looked like a player... A lot of things got stacked against us, and I'm not going to put the blame solely on Georgiev for that one. Even one of those things is different, we probably win.

For what it's worth, I would be fine if Parkkila went out to both goalies and said it's a blank slate right now. We are starting to go 50/50, and whoever plays better will have the edge in starts. If that's Prosvetov, fine by mine. We are still in a good spot standings wise, but this recent stretch needs to straighten out right now. The next 10 games should all be winnable games. To be fair, every game should be a winnable game for this team but what I mean is that there are no actual contenders, just trash and bubble teams. 16 points should be the minimum.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Goaltending is an issue. As Henchy said, Georgiev gives up roughly one bad goal a game, and while I think he should've had that Kadri goal, I'll leave the blame for that one on Rantanen's bad turnover. But the one that just basically went right through him, no, he CANNOT let that one in.

We are way too soft on George...

Agreed. He was f***ing terrible last night.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
The team defense wasn’t great last night and there are still way too many boneheaded mistakes, but Georgiev didn’t make the stops he should have and Prosvetov make some key saves in the 3rd to keep the Avs in it long enough to rattle off 3 goals to get the win.

I think Pros should get the next couple starts then see if George can reset a bit.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
The goaltending can be bad and the defense played it poorly.

Earlier this season the Oilers gave up a 2 on 0 and their goalie was still to blame on how poorly he played it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I've defended Georgiev in the past week and a half, but yesterday was inexcusable. He needs a mental reset and that comes with him sitting for the next three or so games. Not as a punishment, but just to take a break.

Reactions: xAvsx89

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Sure. And the series also could've been won if Manson and Lehkonen weren't injured, Makar didn't get himself suspended, Nuke didn't go MIA, Compher actually would've looked like a player... A lot of things got stacked against us, and I'm not going to put the blame solely on Georgiev for that one. Even one of those things is different, we probably win.

For what it's worth, I would be fine if Parkkila went out to both goalies and said it's a blank slate right now. We are starting to go 50/50, and whoever plays better will have the edge in starts. If that's Prosvetov, fine by mine. We are still in a good spot standings wise, but this recent stretch needs to straighten out right now. The next 10 games should all be winnable games. To be fair, every game should be a winnable game for this team but what I mean is that there are no actual contenders, just trash and bubble teams. 16 points should be the minimum.
I’m not putting the blame solely on him… just that him playing to an average level would have likely been enough.

Personally I’d start Prosvetov the next two games. Then George gets San Jose. If Prosvetov plays well, then he gets a couple more in a row. If he doesn’t, George should be able to have a good game against San Jose to build on. If both suck… send them both to the moon.

Reactions: xAvsx89

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
You know a goalie sucks when an opposing player took a swing at him and there aren't 10 pages of people complaining about it.

It also helps when that player was Kadri, who is a saint and needs to be back in an Avs jersey.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The goaltending can be bad and the defense played it poorly.

Earlier this season the Oilers gave up a 2 on 0 and their goalie was still to blame on how poorly he played it.
The difference between the Oilers then and the Avs now was that the Oilers were absolutely dominating games. Like outshooting their opponents 40-18 and losing 4-1 and other absurd shit like that.

The Oilers played mostly well and were losing because of piss poor goaltending. The Avs are just not playing well and that includes the goaltenders.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
IMO Rants should have named Ismo instead of saying that he's the father of an NHL player, involving a teammate in the process.

Ismo Lehkonen said that as a journalist, he wasn't speaking as a Arturri's dad.
Meh, you are making an issue out of while he and Artturi are not. He wanted to make sure that people in Finland know who he is talking about.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
We have it pretty good when we can be leading the division yet be totally unhappy with the team’s play as a whole.

It’s been mostly justified but it is kinda funny to think about the narratives. Goaltending has been awful, Toews/Byram really bad, MacKinnon/Rants have got destroyed for stretches, Wood/LOC are 4th liners, RyJo/Drouin/Tatar have all been bad. Manson has a brutal contract. Even Nuke/Makar have caught the occasional criticism. No G/Lehky.

I think this board trends negative but there’s certainly been valid reason to criticize a lot this year. Speaks to the ceiling of this team if C-Mac gets aggressive and 1-2 players figure it out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We have it pretty good when we can be leading the division yet be totally unhappy with the team’s play as a whole.
It’s been mostly justified but it is kinda funny to think about the narratives. Goaltending has been awful, Toews/Byram really bad, MacKinnon/Rants have got destroyed for stretches, Wood/LOC are 4th liners, RyJo/Drouin/Tatar have all been bad. Manson has a brutal contract. Even Nuke/Makar have caught the occasional criticism. No G/Lehky.

I think this board trends negative but there’s certainly been valid reason to criticize a lot this year. Speaks to the ceiling of this team if C-Mac gets aggressive and 1-2 players figure it out.
Also speaks to the strength of schedule. One of the easiest so far in the NHL. Plenty of time off and only played a few of the high end teams.

Reactions: Balthazar

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
We have @Bender giving him a pass on this page.

Against Seattle he was giving up a soft goal in nearly every game. As tight as the series was, that could be argued was the difference.

He’s paid that because he wasn’t an established starter. He got the high end of a backup traded to take over a starting job contract.

In the Avs system, any half decent goalie should be giving at least average results. The Avs aren’t getting that.
I like giving away free passes

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Also speaks to the strength of schedule. One of the easiest so far in the NHL. Plenty of time off and only played a few of the high end teams.

SOS certainly helps but it’s not like we have zero good wins. We beat the Devils, Islanders, Kings, Canucks, Stars, Lightning etc. Lost games to the Pens, Sabres, Kraken, wild etc. so it’s not like we’re beating all the bad teams and losing to the good ones.

36 points is still good when your first line, top pairing, 2nd line, goaltending, 2nd pairing, and depth have all took turns getting destroyed on here. Like I said I think it’s mostly valid. Do think people have been overly harsh on Byram/Toews tho. They’ve had some ugly moments for sure but are better than they get credit for.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
SOS certainly helps but it’s not like we have zero good wins. We beat the Devils, Islanders, Kings, Canucks, Stars, Lightning etc. Lost games to the Pens, Sabres, Kraken, wild etc. so it’s not like we’re beating all the bad teams and losing to the good ones.

36 points is still good when your first line, top pairing, 2nd line, goaltending, 2nd pairing, and depth have all took turns getting destroyed on here. Like I said I think it’s mostly valid. Do think people have been overly harsh on Byram/Toews tho. They’ve had some ugly moments for sure but are better than they get credit for.
It is a mixture of a bit of all of it. We’re harsh… but with the goal of the season, we should be. We also have a bit of a mirage. Avs have played more games than a lot of teams, they’ve avoided the best teams, and if you go by points percentage it is a bit of a different picture. But on the flip this team isn’t playing to capability and making it through.

Just some examples:

Avs are 10th in the league according to points percentage.

Of the 9 teams ahead of them, there have been just 6 games… going 3-3 with a -3 goal differential.

One win, is a team that I’d say is out kicking their coverage in Vancouver. Not as bad as the PDO crowd says… but they aren’t a top 5 team either.

I personally don’t consider the Lightning or Isles good. I might be harsh on the Isles, but I consider them a lower end playoff team. Tampa is a team that either doesn’t make the playoffs or is a barely get in wild card team. New Jersey was without their top 2 centers and hasn’t played well. They may not be as good as the hype (though too early to say). Stars, Kings, and even Canucks are all good wins.

To me… 48 points on Jan 1 was pretty much the line. The next two weeks after that get a lot tougher so a buffer needs to get built while you’re playing weak teams.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You know a goalie sucks when an opposing player took a swing at him and there aren't 10 pages of people complaining about it.

It also helps when that player was Kadri, who is a saint and needs to be back in an Avs jersey.
Wasn't it Mangiapane who swung at Georgiev and Kadri simply happened to be in the line of fire?

Reactions: Foppa2118

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

Forever in our hearts.

IMG_0351.jpeg

IMG_0352.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig