Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Cam Talbot signs with the Flames (1 year, $2.75M)

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
You can blame the crap defense for his down year, which would be partially true but honestly he was just not good, he was equally as bad.

Cam Talbot is an awesome guy and by all reports a great teammate. He is the consummate professional at all times. It's too bad he couldn't come close to repeating his awesome year with the Oil... would have loved to see him in Edmonton long term. I think he would be a great back-up with potential of playing half a season.

Edit: and I sure as hell hope that the Oilers do NOT sign Smith... he's garbage and a tool.

Anthony17

Jun 27, 2019
They finished 1st last year with Mike Smith.
Mike Smith is a better goalie and David Rittich carried that team and did nothing for them when it came playoff time Mike Smith tried his best his team failed him cam Talbot will be the same result

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Mike Smith is a better goalie and David Rittich carried that team and did nothing for them when it came playoff time Mike Smith tried his best his team failed him cam Talbot will be the same result

Thanks since you know the future, I guess same results mean the flames will finish 1st and oilers out of the playoffs again...that's fine with me...

Anthony17

Jun 27, 2019
Thanks since you know the future, I guess same results mean the flames will finish 1st and oilers out of the playoffs again...that's fine with me...
Oilers I don't think make the playoffs I do think the flames will but as a wild card. Vegas looks to tough to beat, Sharks are always up there and Coyotes are making a push we'll see

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Philly bringing in Talbot to replace Elliott only to re-sign Elliott speaks a lot
Talbot needs Dubnyk like re-surgance

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Philly bringing in Talbot to replace Elliott only to re-sign Elliott speaks a lot
Talbot needs Dubnyk like re-surgance

I remember hearing recently that he was offered a contract with Philly but wants a chance to earn a starting role and sees Calgary as a perfect opportunity.

Probably views beating out Rittich as more of a possibility than Carter Hart.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Wouldn’t mind Talbot as backup, but I want to see Gillies get a few more games this year.

image.jpg

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
I remember hearing recently that he was offered a contract with Philly but wants a chance to earn a starting role and sees Calgary as a perfect opportunity.

Probably views beating out Rittich as more of a possibility than Carter Hart.

Agreed there. Other teams that could have vacancies at starter could have their choice of the ones that will command more money, such as the Isles or Canes. Flames aren’t in the position that they can really afford that, so it’d work for Calgary to bring Talbot in on a cheaper one-year deal.

Think the rumour was around 2.5 for a year. But not confirmed.

If that’s the rumor that sounds about right. I was thinking around $2 million for a year.

I don’t care for Talbot too much but he’d fit what Calgary needs. I think he’s more of a borderline starter/very good backup and has been for the majority of his career but Calgary seems ready to hand Rittich the chance. Talbot would be a decent option if you had to let him play if Rittich doesn’t do as well and you hope. A strong backup would be a perfect fit.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I think he'll make a good backup. Would be interesting if he can even push Rittich

Spoilers

Jun 24, 2018
I keep hearing this but the man played just three games in Philly.. You can't take anything from that. He struggled last year - no one is denying that, but it's not as if he has been a dumpster fire for a few years now. He's had one poor year, one mediocre year, three very good years, and one elite year.

Essentially every goaltender that has left/joined Edmonton's system recently has been far more successful elsewhere.

Darren Haynes @DarrenWHaynes
Career SV% with the Oilers | not with the Oilers:
- Talbot, .912 | .928
- Dubnyk, .910 | .920
- Scrivens, .898 | .914
- Nilsson, .901 | .908
- Brossoit, .897 | .925

This is using some goalies from some of their worst seasons..

And Scrivens isn't even in NA anymore.

I'd argue that goalies like Elliott and Smith have had success elsewhere and then sucked in Calgary. Could be the same with Talbot.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I'd argue that goalies like Elliott and Smith have had success elsewhere and then sucked in Calgary. Could be the same with Talbot.

Wrong.....Elliot sucked everywhere except the Blues where he was sheltered and had a good defense. Smith is no better no worse in Calgary than his previous stints. He had 1 maybe 2 good years in his career. That's it.

If Talbot sucks in Calgary, it's because he sucks, not because of the Flames

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Hopefully they are getting the let a goal in on the first 2 shots of the game Talbot and not the carry a team on his back one.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Decent. Fundamentally I think he's a good goalie. Mental might be a little shaky but you're not going to find many backups where that's not the case. Hopefully he can find his 2016-17 form again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad