Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Cam Talbot signs with the Flames (1 year, $2.75M)

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I am whelmed. As I said in the other thread, we survived Mike Smith at his worst, so in theory Talbot can't sink us. One way or another, one Alberta team is gonna be mad.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Meh. He did a little better in Edmonton than Smith did, and the later had a tirefire defense, so who knows?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Good choice by him. He has a chance to steal the starting job if he plays well. It's rittich to lose but you never know

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
So who'll be No 1 in Calgary: Rittich or Talbot? Asking for a friend (well, for myself. I have Smith and Rittich in a keeper league).

Reactions: backburner
Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
So who'll be No 1 in Calgary: Rittich or Talbot? Asking for a friend (well, for myself. I have Smith and Rittich in a keeper league).

Rittich in the sense that he will get the opportunity to take the reigns at the start, but I don't think his leash will be too big. If all goes well.. Rittich would probably start 50ish games I would think.

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
I have Talbot and Varlamov for a contract of 1 in a salary league lol. traded rittich at 10 last year

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
Ah yes. These sorts of deals - big or small, and for the record, this would be small - always stoke the disdain between the two teams. It's good. The disdain has been watered-down over the years.

Especially if Smith winds up in Edmonton rather than Mrazek or other.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Same thing the guys in Sportsnet radio were saying yesterday. Seems like a sure thing with lots of guys reporting it now

Rittich will be the starter. Treliving even said so on the radio yesterday

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Not going to complain about a 1 year show me contract.

Could work out great, and if it doesn't. Oh well

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Not sure he'll solve their goalie problems but on a 1 year deal it probably doesn't hurt to give him a chance.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I like a guy who is betting on himself. He wants to prove that he can play behind a decent NHL defense. Talbot looked really good a couple years ago and this would put Calgary right back into the mix for the Cup.

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
I have Talbot and Varlamov for a contract of 1 in a salary league lol. traded rittich at 10 last year

Well... when the last season started, I had Smith, Talbot and Allen. Three starters, right? Yeah... no. I added Domingue when Vasilevskiy was injured, which was awesome until Vasy came back. I traded Talbot away when he moved to Philly. And I traded for Rittich to at least have a Calgary duo.

Now, I have Smith, Rittich, Allen and Domingue. Can protect two. Hopefully Rittich if he is a Calgary starter and Smith if he is a starter somewhere else.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
This is... OK. Would be awesome if he turned his career around in Calgary but in all honesty I can't see it happening, not with our goalie coaches. A more modest hope is that he holds the fort for 20-30 games while Rittich improves.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I like a guy who is betting on himself. He wants to prove that he can play behind a decent NHL defense. Talbot looked really good a couple years ago and this would put Calgary right back into the mix for the Cup.

Yeah. I like the sentiment from Talbot taking a "prove it" deal for a shot at playing behind a potential contender. If he does manage to bounce back in that environment, it'll be a great signing for the Flames.

It just feels like Calgary have made it an annual tradition to gamble on something like this as a half-baked ploy to fix their goaltending situation. Not sure there's really much better to gamble on this particular year, but it feels like they're always determined to take the lowest cost/biggest risk option pretty much every summer. :dunno:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Yeah. I like the sentiment from Talbot taking a "prove it" deal for a shot at playing behind a potential contender. If he does manage to bounce back in that environment, it'll be a great signing for the Flames.

It just feels like Calgary have made it an annual tradition to gamble on something like this as a half-baked ploy to fix their goaltending situation. Not sure there's really much better to gamble on this particular year, but it feels like they're always determined to take the lowest cost/biggest risk option pretty much every summer. :dunno:

The higher ups here have faith in Rittich. This only furthers to prove that. Rittich was absolutely rolling with a .920 sv% prior to sustaining an injury that really hampered his ability to play down the stretch.

I love it. If Talbot can play at the level he has for 5 out of his 6 NHL seasons this is a fantastic deal for Calgary, and he has shown the ability to really excel in a limited role.

Makes a ton of sense for Calgary considering there cap situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad